SASS Wire Forum

.38 Sp powder

Buffalo Bill Mathewson, 37826

Clean Shot is also a very good powder, with also some great usages in other calibers.

I particularly like it in my .32 H&R for Cowboy shooting and in my 9mm.

..........Widder

Clays or Clay Dot, from loading lots of .38 spl light loads. Cleaner than most. Clay Dot runs real well, and does not get as squibby in cold weather as Clays (the Australian variety) at low loading density.

But American Select is not that bad a powder. Maybe you could order more? Is AS being squibby depending upon powder position? Using a mag primer? Squibby or inconsistent in only in cold weather?

Why not tell us clearly what the powder requirement is that AS doesn't do for you?

Good luck, GJ

Bullseye works well, is inexpensive, (bought a 8# jug for 130.00) and a little pinch will go a loooooong way. I can load over 17,000 rounds out of an 8lb jug.

Clays or Clay Dot, from loading lots of .38 spl light loads. Cleaner than most. Clay Dot runs real well, and does not get as squibby in cold weather as Clays (the Australian variety) at low loading density.

But American Select is not that bad a powder. Maybe you could order more? Is AS being squibby depending upon powder position? Using a mag primer? Squibby or inconsistent in only in cold weather?

Why not tell us clearly what the powder requirement is that AS doesn't do for you?

Good luck, GJ

I was using American Select in .45LC 38sp and our 20ga loads. I was happy with it. As my supply started getting low I switched my 20ga loads to a Winchester powder and found I like it better, The Win powder has a bit lower recoil and runs cleaner in our 20 gauges so I am happy with my shot gun load. I switched from 45LC to 38s so I only load 38s for both my wife and myself. The problem has been locating American Select in stock. So I thought I would try something else.

+1, also clay dot is pretty easy to find

Bullseye works for me.

Man, I have not seen Bullseye locally for going on three years now! You must have had a serious stash.

Trail Boss taint much better. Did manage to pick up a couple of pounds, er, half pound, jugs of it, but lordy it 'tis $$$$ if you calculate the price per pound!

Red Dot, Clay's, Unique etc. all fill the bill if you can get them.

Me, I shoot Super Handicap cause it is the only fast burn powder I have been able to get consistently, and reasonably priced, locally for the last 4 years!(Yes i know it is not an "approved" pistol powder)

I shudder to think what component supply will be like if the wicked witch of the east gets elected!

YMMV

As my supply started getting low I switched my 20ga loads to a Winchester powder and found I like it better ...... (in cartridges) I only load 38s for both my wife and myself. The problem has been locating American Select in stock. So I thought I would try something else.

Well, ok, we'll try this line of questions then. WHAT Win powder are you using in 20 gauge?

Either WSF or WST would make a load in .38 spl that would work reasonably well. Then you might be down to just having to keep on hand one Winchester powder. Availability of those two Win powders mentioned above has been pretty good at least out west recently.

Good luck, GJ

Well, ok, we'll try this line of questions then. WHAT Win powder are you using in 20 gauge?

Either WSF or WST would make a load in .38 spl that would work reasonably well. Then you might be down to just having to keep on hand one Winchester powder. Availability of those two Win powders mentioned above has been pretty good at least out west recently.

Good luck, GJ

Which of the two ,WSF and WST would you pick for light 38s?

ok gonna be the smart a##, Goex

Rafe

Shucks Rafer, the OP dinna say going over to the dark side was a consideration!

Yep, WST. Clean, lights off nicely in light loads, not position sensitive. Measures very accurately - almost too fine to stay in some measures (slight leaking unless slide bars are a close fit).

Good luck, GJ

OK my turn......titegroup, red dot, green dot, HP38/W231, 700x, solo 1000, competition, unique, ACC #.2, bullseye, clean shot, True blue, Winchester AA, WST, clays, Clay dot, N32c tin star, ACc#5, Zip, and I'm sure I've left a few out😉

There are a bunch of powders that will do great👍🏼

Regards,

Ringer

OK my turn......titegroup, red dot, green dot, HP38/W231, 700x, solo 1000, competition, unique, ACC #.2, bullseye, clean shot, True blue, Winchester AA, WST, clays, Clay dot, N32c tin star, ACc#5, Zip, and I'm sure I've left a few out

There are a bunch of powders that will do great

Regards,

Ringer

Yep!!

About anything works for Cowboy ammo that only has to get a pill out 15feet and the target is as big as a washing machine.

Add Promo, BE86 to your list & probably Blue Dot , SR4756, SR7625 will burn and work.

American Select is very good too. but that was mentioned above.

Unique time after time people ask this same question.

You can load just about anything with Unique .

It don't do everything the best .

But it will do everything !

http://gofundme.com/roncarpenter

I used Unique for years, got hard to find, switched to 700X very happy with it. Cleaner and uses less powder, easier to find.

+1 on 700x. Same load/results as Clays. (or darn close).

OK, one more. Nitro 100 NF. Meters beautifully.

We switched from American Select (rifle) & Win 231 (pistols) to Clean Shot in both. We found Clean Shot is not as dirty & has more of a "push" recoil in the pistols rather than a "pop" recoil.

Archived