SASS Wire Forum

Baseball

Shawnee McGrutt

What is it with the mascots for Denver? Is it the thin air?

The Rockies mascot, reminds me of Barney the Purple Dinosaur, from the kids tv show ( how that show drove me crazy, but my daughters loved it).

Rye, at least Boston will have the gas to go the distance.

You know now, where Big Popi is getting his speed to run the bases. He is jet powered!! Watch, his feet never touch the ground.

You know our secret weapon!

Colonel Dan, I miss the days the sox were on WBZ, I could get WBZ in Ohio as well ( on clear days).

Good thing he can hit home runs cause he sure can't run no matter how many beans he eats!! :P

Wife is from Bowling Green, Ohio. So there is friction for the fire. Being a military brat and a military retiree, I hold to me own. Kilts up boys! Boston baby:)

I'm warnin' you guys the TRIBE is on the warpath!!!! It's gonna be like Custer's Last Stand"!!!! :lol:

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can feel the earth shake, when Popi runs.

But, what a year, he has had.

Seattle, last I knew was ahead of Toronto. Go Marriners

Hey Rye, rumor up in these parts, that Smilen' Joe is a characterization of a Passamquity (sp?) Indian for the Old Town, Maine area.

They say this fellow played for them. I never looked it up. All the PC, you know what I want to say, history may have already been rewritten. So, if this is true, a good Maine boy, will always go for their beloved Red Sox. Beware of the ghost of Smilen' Joe.

Bugs, guess Jon Lester pitched a good game last night. He is still one of my favorite pitchers. I think he likes pressure. When the Cubs meet the Sox in the WS, he will give the Sox a good game.

Clay Buckholtz starts tonight. That boy is a roller coaster. Last game he looked good...tonight????. He just makes me nervous.

I think the O's have the advantage, tonight.

Top three wildcard... Toronto & Baltimore, then Detroit.

Well game time...time to be brain washed...GO SOX!!!

You can feel the earth shake, when Popi runs.

But, what a year, he has had.

Seattle, last I knew was ahead of Toronto. Go Marriners

Hey Rye, rumor up in these parts, that Smilen' Joe is a characterization of a Passamquity (sp?) Indian for the Old Town, Maine area.

They say this fellow played for them. I never looked it up. All the PC, you know what I want to say, history may have already been rewritten. So, if this is true, a good Maine boy, will always go for their beloved Red Sox. Beware of the ghost of Smilen' Joe.

Bugs, guess Jon Lester pitched a good game last night. He is still one of my favorite pitchers. I think he likes pressure. When the Cubs meet the Sox in the WS, he will give the Sox a good game.

Clay Buckholtz starts tonight. That boy is a roller coaster. Last game he looked good...tonight????. He just makes me nervous.

I think the O's have the advantage, tonight.

Top three wildcard... Toronto & Baltimore, then Detroit.

Well game time...time to be brain washed...GO SOX!!!

Interesting rumor but it's Chief Wahoo not Smilin' Joe! The Indians were supposedly named after Louis Sockalexis, a native American who played for Cleveland. http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2014/03/18/the-cleveland-indians-louis-sockalexis-and-the-name/

About the characterization, well…very well could be although I've never heard that one before!

Rye, That is right, he was a Penobscot, got my Maine tribes mixed up, moved one north and one south, the story I heard was from an old Indian, who claimed they were related. He said, his mother said , Louis was a terrible drunk and he called him "Joe" (?) But he said the guy was extremely athletic, the best runner, swimmer , what ever he set his mind to.. I always believed him, as he was very reliable and really a outstanding person to work with.

Seattle over Toronto

New York winning in Tampa Bay

Yankees are winning as well

Boston bats are helping Bucholtz. 5-1

Rye, That is right, he was a Penobscot, got my Maine tribes mixed up, moved one north and one south, the story I heard was from an old Indian, who claimed they were related. He said, his mother said , Louis was a terrible drunk and he called him "Joe" (?) But he said the guy was extremely athletic, the best runner, swimmer , what ever he set his mind to.. I always believed him, as he was very reliable and really a outstanding person to work with.

Seattle over Toronto

New York winning in Tampa Bay

Yankees are winning as well

Boston bats are helping Bucholtz. 5-1

The article said that Louis did have a little problem with alcohol!! He's buried in Erie St. Cemetery right across the street from Progressive Field!

Tribe down to magic # 5 ;)

What is it with the mascots for Denver? Is it the thin air?

The Rockies mascot, reminds me of Barney the Purple Dinosaur, from the kids tv show ( how that show drove me crazy, but my daughters loved it).

And the mascots were chosen BEFORE weed was legal in CO!

And the mascots were chosen BEFORE weed was legal in CO!

Was not even going there!

Colorado is picked on enough.

I could see the horseman or manhorse ( guess they just could not find an actor, that was willing to be a horses @$$), scaring little kids.

Wally the Green Monster, has. But the horseguy is weird. It has got to be that mile high air with all the fumes from cars.

Not to pick on Colorado, but today I saw a Coor's advertisement on the back of a delivery

truck that announced, "CATCH THE SILVER BULLET".

I don't know about you folks, but I don't want to catch any kind of a bullet, silver or no.

I see that Chicago, Cleveland and Boston are still playing tough ball.

Looks like the Baseball leagues are pretty well set for winners in the divisions.

But the wild card standings are kinda crazy.

As of yestereday's results, the wild card picture looks like

Toronto and Detroit in the American League and

the Mets and San Francisco in the National League.

But looking at the also rans, Baltimore is only .5 game away from the fray and

Houston is still alive at 1.5 games. Would not put money on Houston though.

Over in the National league we have my Cardinals at .5 game away from Happy Valley

but the rest of the race looks pretty distant. Looking at how far behind the Cubs the Cards

played this year, I have to say
Go Cubs. You have earned it. Maybe be next year,

Packing your locker already, Badger? The Cards are still alive, pray for a gremlin to work on those Mets & Giants. (God doesn't like the mets, He is just goofing on New York City!)

My Beloved Floppers are coming on...so will my indigestion. Magic Number is 5

It was just one lose,8 games to go. Mathematically, the Cards still have a chance.

Chicago is the team to beat, if the other teams want to prove themselves.

Cubbies, have been the real deal, all season. Sort of wish, we still got WGN (?) out of Chicago to watch Cubs & White Sox games.

In the good old days of cable, I think there was a lot more games to choose from, without having to pay for extra sports packages. I use to be able to choose from about 6-8 different teams. And all were on basic cable.

Changing sports...

But, the gremlins are trying to work on the New England Patriots. Mixed reports, but most are saying Bissenett (sp?), will need surgery to repair a torn tendon in his throwing hand. Maybe, the second string quarterback, will be ready to start next Sunday, he messed up his shoulder in game 2.

If the Tribe makes it to the WS and plays the Cubs, It would be an interesting series! ;) That is, if the Cubs make it to the WS, anything can happen in the PLAYOFFS!!!

2-1 top of the fifth, Boston

Second day in a row with, lousy transmission..

You see the plays in bunches..so you miss the whole play.

Rye, a fortune teller told me, "put your money on Texas"...

Taxes are the only sure bet

You have to hit a giant, squarely between the eyes with a slingshot or chop down the beanstalk, for them to go down.

Boston has 10 game streak going...hope they are checking the lug nuts

I'll be dipped! Padres dumped the Giants today. Of course the Cards are down 3/1 to the Cubbies in the bottom of the 8th and the Cubs have the bats.

Bosox seem to be on a tear. Won again today. Maybe it will be the Bosox and Cubs in the WS.

Hope she sings a sweet tune for The Beantown Bombers, not a Swan Song.

Wish, I could watch the Tigers be a thorn in the moccasins of the Indians. Would beat what is on here.

Guess, not matter what, Sox get in the playoffs, I would rather see them go as division champions with best record in the league.

That way they play the Indians, if I figure right...

Hope she sings a sweet tune for The Beantown Bombers, not a Swan Song.

Wish, I could watch the Tigers be a thorn in the moccasins of the Indians. Would beat what is on here.

Guess, not matter what, Sox get in the playoffs, I would rather see them go as division champions with best record in the league.

That way they play the Indians, if I figure right...

Texas rangers might have something to say about that, McGrutt.

I know!! I know!!

Texas is good, the bobble heads, who do the sports here, seem to forget about the Rangers.

I do hope, they get into a bad funk.

That is not a charitable thunk, McGrutt.

:lol:

Archived