SASS Wire Forum

Virginia gun laws: Transfer of firearms to Family Members

Colonel Dan, SASS #24025

I'm helping some close friends who just lost their father recently. Are there any laws in this state regarding the passing down of his firearms to family members?

Since I live in Florida, I'm not familiar with VA law. I couldn't find any restrictions or requirements during my research but it's always best to double check.

Also would help to get recommendations on good gun dealers in the Yorktown area that could handle sales of remaining firearms. Would very much prefer those who are well known to members of our SASS family. My friend's widow and children know nothing about guns and I must leave tomorrow.

Thank you...

Cockroach gave you the link for the legal stuff, so I won't go there.

As for selling his guns, there is a gun shop just east of Richmond, in Mechanicsville, DeGoff's Sporting Goods, that carries a lot of cowboy stuff and caters to that crowd. I bought a couple Stoegers from them. Nice folks. That would be about 50 miles west of Yorktown, on I-64.

Federal Law ... https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/transfers-national-firearms-act-firearms-decedents-estates/download

Virginia Estate Transfers ... http://www.beankinney.com/publications-articles-firearms-estate-planning.html

KNOW HOW TO TRANSFER GUNS TO BENEFICIARIES

Rifles and Shotguns – In State: Most rifles and shotguns are freely transferable within Virginia, but, your executor has to watch out. He or she has to be sure that the proposed transferee is not a disqualified person under Federal or State law. It is safe to sell most rifles and shotguns privately to someone who has a valid concealed weapons permit, but this is not a requirement. You must not have knowledge that the person is disqualified.

Pistols and Revolvers – In State: The only people to whom you may lawfully transfer (sell or give) a handgun in Virginia are those who are legally eligible to purchase one from a dealer and all transfers must be in compliance with the state statutes.

All Firearms – Out of State: Suppose you want to, or have to, transfer firearms to a beneficiary in another state? What do you do? You need to have them transferred by a dealer in Virginia to a dealer in the recipient state.

http://www.virginiaguntrustlawyer.com/estate_planning.html

What the family needs is someone who can help them determine what the guns are worth, the dealer is looking to make money.

Last year i bought a nice SKB already set up for CAS, obviously by one of the better shotgun smiths, from a local shop. The gun had 23" barrels, big bead, nicely chamfered chambers and had had the requisite action and safety work. While still inertia, the trigger always resets, even with light bp loads. It also has a very fancy hand tooled buttstock cover over a shortened padded buttstock. The gun is pristine and I paid $425 for it. A friend bought a second, well set up SKB from the same shop and same estate, for $400. I shudder to think what the store gave the family. Out of the same batch of guns at the same shop, I bought a Uberti '73 deluxe border rifle in .357. Short-stroked, coil sprung, proper sights, butt cover, lever wrap etc. This gun was also pristine and I got it for $689. I assure you the dealer was making money at these prices.

Apparently the late shooter's son had brought in about 200 guns and sold them for one lump sum. Your friends need to sit tight until someone, not looking to profit, can help them.

I've already told my family who to talk to when i go to be sure they get a reasonable deal for my guns when I'm gone.

The guns I bought looked familiar and I later determined they had belonged to a friend that I had stated shooting CAS with 20 years ago. I'm proud to have two of his guns. I don't understand why his family did not reach out to the CAS community for help in selling his guns.

What the family needs is someone who can help them determine what the guns are worth, the dealer is looking to make money.

Last year i bought a nice SKB already set up for CAS, obviously by one of the better shotgun smiths, from a local shop. The gun had 23" barrels, big bead, nicely chamfered chambers and had had the requisite action and safety work. While still inertia, the trigger always resets, even with light bp loads. It also has a very fancy hand tooled buttstock cover over a shortened padded buttstock. The gun is pristine and I paid $425 for it. A friend bought a second, well set up SKB from the same shop and same estate, for $400. I shudder to think what the store gave the family. Out of the same batch of guns at the same shop, I bought a Uberti '73 deluxe border rifle in .357. Short-stroked, coil sprung, proper sights, butt cover, lever wrap etc. This gun was also pristine and I got it for $689. I assure you the dealer was making money at these prices.

Apparently the late shooter's son had brought in about 200 guns and sold them for one lump sum. Your friends need to sit tight until someone, not looking to profit, can help them.

I've already told my family who to talk to when i go to be sure they get a reasonable deal for my guns when I'm gone.

The guns I bought looked familiar and I later determined they had belonged to a friend that I had stated shooting CAS with 20 years ago. I'm proud to have two of his guns. I don't understand why his family did not reach out to the CAS community for help in selling his guns.

I mostly agree with you. However, a reputable shop can make a big difference. For a number of years, I managed a big gun store in Albuquerque. we would get estates like this. We paid very good. You have to remember, if a shop buys them, yes, they need to make money. They have to deal with the guns. They may need to repair a few . They may have to sit on them for a while. If a shop cannot identify a well built cowboy action shotgun because it is not their area of expertise, to them, it is just a modified gun.

Also, if someone dies unexpectedly, they may need that quick cash for expenses. Could they make more money selling them off one at a time? Possibly, but they may also go bankrupt waiting to sell them.

Ive seen helpers go both ways helping themselves then the opposite really take care of the estate. It all depends on the individual doing it. If the family needs money or is not firearm interested then a sale to the store might bring more than a helper selling the off to his friends and himself. If you want to make the most money spend the money and get a official pricing guide the blue book of gun values is what I recommend. Then grap each gun look it up some have different models which mean the vale varies. Make a spread sheet with manufactor, model, caliber, serial no. And condition. The make three columns with the heading 90%, 75% and 50% IIRC is the lowest the blue book goes then figure if you average between 90%and 75% you've done well. The accutraments will not normally add to the value of the gun but you never know it may be unique and will. But after you find the average value of the firearms the look up all the accutraments and use a vale of 50% new for the items that might sale, lastly if he was a reloader do the same as the accutraments but most of it will sale. Lee presses will no bring much normally in my experience rcbs, hornaday will bring some value depending on model and the buyer Dillon usually will bring the best resale values as they have a lifetime warranty for anyone. Dies will sale by themselves but everything else usually gets throw in with the press but try to sale it first, ebay is a good place to list everything individually except the firearms themselves.

I'm helping some close friends who just lost their father recently. Are there any laws in this state regarding the passing down of his firearms to family members?

Since I live in Florida, I'm not familiar with VA law. I couldn't find any restrictions or requirements during my research but it's always best to double check.

Also would help to get recommendations on good gun dealers in the Yorktown area that could handle sales of remaining firearms. Would very much prefer those who are well known to members of our SASS family. My friend's widow and children know nothing about guns and I must leave tomorrow.

Thank you...

PM sent

Thank you for the valued input. I was able to distribute all but ten of his guns to family members and will take some time on the disposition of those remaining.

On my way back home now after seeing off my best friend as he now resides in Fiddler's Green.

Thanks again

Here in NJ, long arms & handguns can be transferred from the estate to a beneficiary with no paper work involved. As long as the recipient has a Firearms Identification Document. There is no mandatory requirement to register them ... the NJ State Police asks though that the beneficiary volunteer to register them ... Ya sure, hell freezes over too!

God Bless you Colonel Dan...for what you do and the man you are...Jim

If you want those guns to sell for the best possible return send them to;

Lock Stock & Barrel Investments

This is our own Lead Dispencer aka Spencer Hoglund's company. He has been doing consignment sale for some time. On the GunAuction site he has almost 9000 all positive feedbacks. As an FFL dealer, I watch his auction all the time but hardly ever buy because the item usually sell for much more than I can buy and resale for.

Archived