SASS Wire Forum

Browning SXS issues, wont open, often

Cheyenne Culpepper 32827

have a BSS that often doesn't want to open after firing it,,, already had both firing pins replaced ,,,,

help?

what wud keep a firing pin from retracting?

thanks,,, I look and see iffn I can find something...

Is it only difficult to open when there are fired hulls in the chamber, or does it sometimes malfunction when there are no hulls in it?

If only with hulls, does it malfunction with a hull in only one chamber, or do both chambers have to have fired hulls in them for it to misbehave?

never happens when I am dry firing with my dummies,,, ie fired rounds with solid brass faux primers

took it apart, pins are like new, springs intact, no burrs

they don't even start to retract until the barrels are slightly cracked open, maybe this sg needs the primers set deeper? I usually leave the rim of the primer so I can slightly feel it,,, do that because with the fed primers I had been using had a deep set one occasionally,,,

I'd say the firing pins protrude 1/16"... when it is closed and fired

sounds to me like you are not getting your finger all the way off the trigger BEFORE hitting the open release.

Snakebite

I'll have to try that!

Yep, after the hammers have tripped there is virtually no spring tension on the trigger. If you are touching the trigger and try to open it, it won't. Also, did anyone try to retime it so it opens further? If so the cocking levers might not be retracting the firing pins fast enough.

it never happens with my skb, are the triggers located slightly different, mine is 1200 miles away right now, I nly have the BSs with me

I'll have to check that next time I get to live fire,,

it doesn't open wide,, I was told it was set up by #4 but not positive about that..

The SKB trigger mechanism is entirely different. Factory the SKB is inertia operated. The BSS is mechanical. After the gun is fired if you are touching the trigger on the BSS it tips up slightly and blocks the top lever from opening.

Cheyenne... I had that problem a lot of the time until I learned to get my finger off the blamed trigger. Since I've trained myself to do it... it has never happened again.

Snakebite

Had the same issue, the problem was just as Snakebite said. Now my friend has a newer Browning SxS that is more forgiving. But I have to get completely off mine the trigger before opening it.

Coho

next time I get to shoot it I will load right handed,(I am right handed) that way my finger is completely away from the trigger as I go to open it..

I'll dry fire some too,,, see if I can replicated it...

thanks,,,

btw, my skb is mech now,,, I wonder if it's trigger is set back further...

Another interesting BSS quirk. When you push the top lever to the right to open the gun it pushes a rod inside the gun to the rear to reset the sears. If your finger slips off the top lever before the barrels reach a certain point in their downward travel one barrel won't cock. Learned this shooting BP because of the way I was shucking hulls. Made a longer cocking rod to help eliminate the issue.

it looks like that rod has been lengthen already, thot it looked like it had somethng done to that rod...

something else I found out, the safety doesn't engage either..

C. C./

Check you SASS PM and send me a note.

Ol' #4

nothing there...

Archived