SASS Wire Forum

New to Black powder reloading

Shootin Straight

I've been reloading for 30+years, but never black powder (or substitute). With some help of several pards, and information from Capt. Baylor's website - I was able to load up 45 colt, 38 special and 12 ga shotshell loads. The guns are all cleaned up, and it was easier then I thought. It's not as foreign as I thought, and actually it's rather easy. I used 777 this time, as real black powder is not readily available near me.

Now I'm all ready to load up enough for my first FCG match. Love this sport, and the variety it offers. Next is C&B pistols, and 45-70 for my long range side match rifle.

Thanks to all, and if you are new to it, just ask around and give it a try.

Shootin Straight

Now that you dipped yer big toe in the FUN part of the pool... dive on in... Ya ain't really shootin' till you're C&B shootin'!

I use 777 in metallic pistol cartridges, 12 gauge trap loads and 45-70 for long range. It's a pretty good sub. However, I prefer real BP for cap 'n ball because it ignites more easily. Welcome to the Darkside! BTW Wal*Marts put their 777 on sale after hunting season. I have my eye on some at my local Wally World I'll scoop up once they mark it down to a price I like.

Also, Sportsman's Warehouse has Alliant Black MZ for $10 a bottle. It makes great shotgun shells and is cheaper to use than 777. However, I still use 777 for metallic cartridges because it meters so well.

I use Goex BP my self .

It takes a lot more powder to shoot this way .

But with full loads and 200gr bullets WOW !

What fun it is :-)

Welcome to the dark side :-)

We like APP fffg....smokes great! Easy clean up.

777 was a bit hotter, and bit more scrubbin'

Goex too.

Alliant Black MZ works great in the Mec for sg loads, but doesn't feed well through the Dillon...

So App for cartridge and Amz for the sg.

Have fun smokin' !!!

After you shoot up a few Tons of real Black Powder, you will begin to understand what questions to ask to truly become an expert

on this topic ....

It is really so very Simple that most Folks won't believe the answer ...

Jabez Cowboy

Goex too.

Alliant Black MZ works great in the Mec for sg loads, but doesn't feed well through the Dillon...

Have fun smokin' !

Hi Sue I'm Rooster .

I am the one who had the motorcycle accident and have a good post going over in the Saloon.

I have been giving some thought to this APP FFF stuff.

1. Easy to find ?

2. Easy clean up ?

3. My understanding not supper corrosive?

5. You use regular bullets ?

6 price per pound ?

7. Do you buy locally or mail order it ?

8. What seems to be the down side ?

9. Approximately how many rounds per pound ?

10. Thank you for your time

Goex too.

Have fun smokin' !

Hi Sue I'm Rooster .

I am the one who had the motorcycle accident and have a good post going over in the Saloon.

I have been giving some thought to this APP FFF stuff.

1. Easy to find ? Easier to find than real BP. Two gun stores in my metro area stock APP. However, 777 and Pyrodex are easier to find.

2. Easy clean up ? Very easy. Tap water will do.

3. My understanding not supper corrosive? Very gentle on steel. However will tarnish brass cartridges with a deep brown tarnish (just like 777) so wash cartridges soon after shooting.

5. You use regular bullets ? Yes. APP says no lube is needed.

6 price per pound ? About $20 a bottle mail order. Price is comparable to 777.

7. Do you buy locally or mail order it ? Buy one bottle locally for test and evaluation then buy cases mail order when Captain Baylor announces a sale on this Wire. Sometimes gun stores mark down their inventory after muzzleloader hunting season.

8. What seems to be the down side ? More smoky than real BP. The amount of smoke may increase your stage times. Is hydroscopic. Will clump in bottles. Clumps must be broken up before loading. Powder measures must be cleaned after use. Does not make a ball of fire and stinking cloud (this may be a positive or negative depending on your point-of-view).

9. Approximately how many rounds per pound ? Depends on what you are loading. Forty-five Colts take more powder than my wife's .32s. You can get at least a hundred shotgun shells from a bottle. (All subs require more powder per cartridge than smokeless loads.)

10. Thank you for your time

Shootin Straight,

APP is everything the folks above say it is. However, I switched back to the real thing because it's the only thing that smells right. Besides, cleaning up after Holy Black isn't the big deal people make it out to be if you shoot a bottleneck cartridge like .44-40.

Usually goes on sale a couple times a year around WR and EOT. They use to go to both so no shipping. Best to buy by case if you can. Depending on how much you shoot and what you reload it might last you a year or more. I use 3f in handgun cartridges 2f in my shotgun and 38-55 can go either way.

Shootin Straight,

APP is everything the folks above say it is. However, I switched back to the real thing because it's the only thing that smells right. Besides, cleaning up after Holy Black isn't the big deal people make it out to be if you shoot a bottleneck cartridge like .44-40.

What John Henry says. BP is as easy to clean as any of the subs, it smells right and produces a lot of flame and smoke. The only downside is you need a bullet with

a BIG GREASE GROOVE filled with a good gooey wet lube. I get mine from Springfield Slim. Oh and the added cost of the special bullets is offset by the price. BP IS CHEAPER PER POUND than all the subs.

What John Henry says. BP is as easy to clean as any of the subs, it smells right and produces a lot of flame and smoke. The only downside is you need a bullet with

a BIG GREASE GROOVE filled with a good gooey wet lube. I get mine from Springfield Slim. Oh and the added cost of the special bullets is offset by the price. BP IS CHEAPER PER POUND than all the subs.

I agree! I shoot Springfield Slim's Mav 200 grain Big Lube bullets over a compressed charge of GOEX 3Fg and I get wonderful flames. sparks, smoke and smell from them. I'll never go back to substitutes.

I've been using Goex in the sg and 777 in cartridges but am interested in trying the Black MZ. as a replacement for Goex since it's such a pain to get. Sue would you be so kind as to share loading information I would be much obliged.

Don't pay any attention to these two. Or if you do then it is your fault that you start buying frontiersmen category guns. But the grin is worth every penny and more.

My first bottle of APP is almost gone. Using 777 in rifle and SG.

Is APP available in KC or Omaha area?

I once bought a rather large supply of Curtus & Harvey # 6 FFFG , it was the finest Black Powder I have ever used, I am still hoarding a few pounds of it for when it really counts ....

My guns and I like real Black Powder ,,,,, subs need not apply ....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived