SASS Wire Forum

States to avoid?

July Smith

Looking at selling some of my unused guns in order to finance my new SASS hobby/addiction. I have bought a number of guns and sold a number of gun related items through gun broker, but never sold any guns online. I understand as an individual I need to include a copy of my drivers license, and I can only legally ship to a valid FFL, but which states are simply best to avoid? Shipping through my local FFL is cost prohibitive, so I will only be shipping as an individual. Anyone have a list or link of states that are a no go?

Also is there a cheaper way to legally ship handguns? UPS has no problem shipping long guns via ground with insurance for around $20-35, but handguns they are required (company policy) to overnight or next day which is $80 or more. FedEx has the same over night policy and is about the same price. USPS does not deal with individuals shipping handguns. Are there any other services I might have overlooked? Or should just plan on selling handguns locally?

Edit: The majority of what I can stand to clear out of the safe are older (pre-lock) S&W revolvers and a Pre-Safety Marlin or two.

You could talk to a local FFL. If you get them all the information from the receiving FFL and pay for shipping, they might be willing to help you out. As far as where not to send it, I've only ever sold an AR upper on Gunbroker.

California, Massachusetts, and New York are the ones to watch out for. It all depends on what you are selling. A quick google search of those states gun laws will tell you if it's a "legal" handgun. Your FFL could probably also clarify where you could send a handgun if you tell them what kind it is.

You could talk to a local FFL. If you get them all the information from the receiving FFL and pay for shipping, they might be willing to help you out. As far as where not to send it, I've only ever sold an AR upper on Gunbroker.

California, Massachusetts, and New York are the ones to watch out for. It all depends on what you are selling. A quick google search of those states gun laws will tell you if it's a "legal" handgun. Your FFL could probably also clarify where you could send a handgun if you tell them what kind it is.

Thank you for your advice. I have talked to my local FFL (actually 45mins away). They would really rather not bother with shipping firearms, so they charge the actual UPS shipping cost plus the $30 transfer fee. I think that is fair for them, but not that great a deal for me seeing as I can legally ship a firearm myself.

CA. is easy for a non-FFL to ship to. ;)

OLG

CA. is easy for a non-FFL to ship to. ;)

OLG

I should clarify that I didn't mean shipping guns in general. I was referring to "compliant" guns, as in whether or not it's legal for sale in the states I mentioned. Mass., for example, has so many "laws" I personally wouldn't even deal with trying to ship a gun there, period. I'm not familiar with all the ever changing gun regulations in those states. I was just suggesting to get in touch with an FFL to make sure it won't be a problem.

California is not that difficult to ship to, especially for a private party. Long guns can ship USPS, handguns have to go UPS or Fed-ex, both of which require overnight shipping. If an FFL ships to California they have to go online and register so California knows they are really an FFL. Not that big of a deal. BUT, some California FFL's will not accept from a private party. I deal with 2 FFL's because of this. The close one does not accept out of state private transfers, the other one does but is further away.

I use a FFL that works out of his house, retired cop. He can ship USPS and charges me actual shipping plus a fee for his services, been a while, it might have been 20 bucks or so. For something that I would do very seldom, it was worth that to make sure it was done right and not to have to wade thru all the regulations myself. And it also helped support a nice guy supplement his retirement.

Shipping to California is not difficult. Ignorant or angry FFL's and gun owners in other states who refuse to ship to California are responsible for the myths that abound related to shipping firearms into the State.

The quickest way for a shipping FFL to handle shipping to CA is to call the receiving CA FFL and have him walk him through the one or two minute online process. I don't believe that individuals shipping to a CA FFL have to go through the CA DOJ online process, but I'm not sure of that. Most FFL's will not accept shipments from individuals.

Were I listing on Gun Broker, I would just state that shipments will follow all legal guidelines and will be between currently active FFL's in your state and the ship-to state.

I'm surprised that you should have any problems selling those Marlins to someone in Texas.

Most of the older JM branded Marlins sell well, assuming condition and price are reasonable.

..........Widder

California is not that difficult to ship to, especially for a private party. Long guns can ship USPS, handguns have to go UPS or Fed-ex, both of which require overnight shipping. If an FFL ships to California they have to go online and register so California knows they are really an FFL. Not that big of a deal. BUT, some California FFL's will not accept from a private party. I deal with 2 FFL's because of this. The close one does not accept out of state private transfers, the other one does but is further away.

Exactly the same here.

Shipping to California is pretty easy. I've had about 12 guns shipped into the state in the last 8 months, problem free.

I have bought and sold about 30 guns online, more than some others, less than some others.

I do not sell to Illinois, left coast states, states northeast of Virginia, Alaska or Hawaii. I always ship through an FFL that is large enough to get a Fedex or UPS discount, often 40% or more.

I also make use of local consigment shops that specialize in antique, fine or tactical arms. They often have buyers with a wish list and can help me with valuing older guns.

Good luck.

You may maximize your value by posting your guns on the classified forum to trade for guns, some that may already be tuned or broken in.

I should clarify that I didn't mean shipping guns in general. I was referring to "compliant" guns, as in whether or not it's legal for sale in the states I mentioned. Mass., for example, has so many "laws" I personally wouldn't even deal with trying to ship a gun there, period. I'm not familiar with all the ever changing gun regulations in those states. I was just suggesting to get in touch with an FFL to make sure it won't be a problem.

Buff:

As a private handgun seller, the only MA laws that really affect you (assuming you are sending to a MA FFL) is to make sure in advance that the particular model of gun you are selling is "approved" for sale in MA. The FFL that you are dealing with on the receiving end will have a current list, and can tell you that easily.

If you need an FFL to deal with, I recommend:

Four Seasons Firearms

76R Winn St.

Woburn, MA

781-932-3133

Ask for Carl - the owner.

LL

Archived