SASS Wire Forum

still evaluating a snake solution

Trigger Mike

No. Stay away from those small revolvers. They are too much like a toy and too easy to mishandle. They are self defense weapons and any number of potential disasters waiting to happen. About the smallest firearm suitable for him is a Snake Charmer .410 single shot break open shotgun. Anything more than a single shot is too much. Be smart about this idea. Don't let him get hurt.

The smaller the gun, the easier it is to injure yourself in a high excitement event.

Small revolvers, derringers and even small frame revolvers.(2" barrel 38s and such)

During the high excitement moments, fingers tend to get in front the the barrel and or cylinder.

Injuries happen.

As a desert person most of my life, snakes are common.

Dealing with them depends on several things.

Where are they found?

What kind of snake are they. (poisonous, really poisonous and non poisonous)

Snakes are usually found just laying about.

Once harassed they can become very quick.

1. Non poisonous snakes can be made to leave by just dumping cold water on them.

I usually use water I have in the fridge in gatoraide bottles.

Snakes do not like cold and the shock of cold water sends them heading off.

2. Poisonous snakes (poison that effects the blood, most hospitals can treat bites) can be handle with cold water but if you have outside animals and or children, then a long handle square shovel will do just find.

I have a shovel that has been used for many years and had a sharp edge and he blade has been worn down which creates two points. On on either side of the blade.

3. Really poisonous snakes (poison that effects the nervous system, very few hospitals carry the anti venom) can ruin any ones day. Here in the desert where these types of snakes are common, the closest place that has anti venom that I know of is more than 40 miles away. So, when these snakes are found near the house, they are shoveled.

Shooting snakes is an option but comes with far too many negative out comes.

Injury to self and others.

Injury to animals that are curious to what you are doing. From shot or bite.

Damage to house and other property.

A gun has a range from a few feet if shot in to the dirt to several hundred feet if bounced off rock, concrete or metal.

A shovel has an effective range of 5 feet and you have much more control of the damage it will do.

Besides, the shovel does not get the neighbors calling the local law enforcement out on you.

Some are understanding but others are not if you have other houses nearby.

Most snakes are good to have around the place to keep mice, rats and other small fur critters that like to come in and visit on occasion.

I have three options when I find a snake.

Dispatch them (really poisonous and some what poisonous), get them to move on or leave them alone. (red racers and garden snakes come to mind. Both are very good at critter control)

At night always have a light to shine where you are going to step.

Day and night, always look before you step to make sure that spot is not already occupied.

--------------

I treat spiders the same way.

Black widows are dispatched.

Most other, once I research them to know what they are, I will capture and take outside.

After researching, I find most are not harmful to people and I capture them by hand. Those, I do not know are captured with a plastic container and moved outside and a way from the house.

I even catch centipedes which are poisonous. I use the container and I move them about a half mile away and release them.

Their bit is very painful but they are great insect catchers.

Once you research the various critters, you will learn which ones are okay to live with and which once need to me moved or dispatched.

And if these things really bother you, I suggest you not go outside at night with a flashlight and look around.

There are far more of them than you think.

I have to laugh at people who move to the desert and don't learn this stuff.

But then city people come to the desert and do not use a flash light.

They don't go looking around after dark.

I think some would move back to the city if they did.

In my limited experience, 22lr and 22mag shot shells are okay if you simply want to pop balloons or knock over tin cans at close range, but other than that they worthless. It is really hard to beat a shovel or hoe when it comes to killing snakes.

under the bed. no, no.

You for snakes you want to get up on something with slick sides so snake can not climb.

Spiders, that's a different story. Under the bed you will be sharing space with some spiders.

Glad to have helped. ;^)

That's right! Snakes and spiders, crickets and such like hiding under the bed.....them and the boogie man.

Bad idea, Mary.

:-)

:-)

now to teach my son he needs a hoe and how to handle a hoe. :-)

Oh-what could go wrong with this statement :excl: ......... :lol::D

Sorry Mo, just couldn't help myowndangself.......... :P

Just know'n I'm gonna be 'hoe' sorry for this. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

OLG

Word of caution: A guy I worked with was hoeing a garden and came upon a buzztail. Whacked it with his hoe, irritated the snake which came up the hoe handle like a barber pole in reverse. Guy was ten feet away by the time the end of the hoe handle hit the ground.

I have a strange way of dealing with snakes that I encounter outside my home. Wanna hear it?

It's very simple.

I leave them alone.

I walk away from them or walk around.

Amazing :blink:

Sorry. I like snakes. They fulfill an important role and I don't see any reason in killing them needlessly.

Archived