SASS Wire Forum

who makes the best AR 10 308 platform

ArmaLite makes the ONLY AR-10. It's a registered trade name. Others make 308 caliber rifles. Don't mean to sound snotty. Just have to deal with it every day. I deal with most all of the AR type rifle makers out there. My personal opinion, if you want a .308, is the POF-USA. The DPMS LR-308 pattern has the most parts and accessories available. Be warned! There about 4 different configurations of 308 AR type rifles out there. ArmaLite even makes two different sizes that take different magazines. One version will not accept Magpul 308 mags.

Well as much as I usually agree with Boggus, The ONLY 308 semi-auto rifle used by the US special forces is the LaRue. I have shot almost all of the variants and there is no doubt in my experience that nothing comes close to the LaRue OBR. Absolute accuracy and dependability.

Well as much as I usually agree with Boggus, The ONLY 308 semi-auto rifle used by the US special forces is the LaRue. I have shot almost all of the variants and there is no doubt in my experience that nothing comes close to the LaRue OBR. Absolute accuracy and dependability.

I guess the SCAR-H made by FN doesn't count?

To whom are you referring when you say US special forces?

Lol! HJ, we sure won't always agree but at least we're men enough to have a drink on it and go on! The Larue is an excellent rifle. Been to their facility over in Texas and they buy quite a bit from me. Love their Dillo Dust seasoning on steaks and eggs.

Rock River Arms has a darn good .308

UB, I mean the semi-secret military sniper teams that use my facility. The SCAR is a reliable weapon but absolutely awful ergonomically, we don't use it but lots of other NATO units do.

And it's heavier than it needs to be for what it is.

Rock River Arms has a darn good .308

+1 on RRA. They have a wide selection of parts. You can customize it to just about anything you would want. They have upgraded triggers, rails, charge handles, etc. You can build a very nice rifle from their site and ship right to your FFL if it includes a lower. Quality is great. Accuracy is as good as I am (better than I am I'm sure). Prices are quite competitive by the time you figure in any modifications you would want to do to an AR platform rifle. I priced out a new 223/556 upper build on Midway. Got the same setup from RRA for less than building another upper myself.

The only downside to them is the turnaround time. They are a somewhat smaller company, so custom orders that aren't already on the shelves assembled do take some time. If you go with one of their offered models with no additional upgrades, turnaround time isn't too bad. I bought a new upper right around the holidays last year and if I remember correctly, I had it in about 4 weeks. They have a link that estimates their current lead time on their site too.When the time comes to add a 308 AR platform to my collection, I will definitely be looking to RRA.

Lumpy, I haven't seen a SR-25 for about 4 years. That was almost all I saw about 10 years ago. Of course there have been several experimental firearms that didn't make it into actual use over the years. Mark seems to have picked up almost 100% of the current US market in this area. I was very skeptical in the early days with the gas 308's but the new LaRue's are absolutely reliable and amazingly accurate. The top rail is also correct to use NV with your day scope. Most of the new guns are using NF glass. Leupold and S&B are having some issues with reliability. The Bushnell Tactical Elite scopes are holding up as well as those for half the money.

AR Style in 7.62mm....

You may want to look at the Ruger SR762.

I refuse to own a direct impingement rifle.

OLG - Tell your son "Sua` Sponte`"

Archived