SASS Wire Forum

TO Issues

Nasty Nels

I don't know if anyone has looked at the thread, "Cowboy Action Shooting - videos in high speed" but it causes serious concern for me.

I have no idea who is acting as TO, but I think it is an excellent video to show at RO I class on how NOT to be a Timer Operator!

My flak jacket is on, so let'r rip. My $.02 are out.

NN

it is rare that I see a vid that I like how the TO is working,, but then I'm really picky!!!

He ain't the worst I've seen,

But he definitely needs an RO refresher course !

I wonder if sometimes the videos are done to see how many are paying attention and catch the most wrong items like a where's Waldo.

It's just in case the spotters are wrong the T.O. can over-ride their decision.

RO 1 pg 5 item 4

Stay Within Arms Length. In order to stop an unsafe act, the Chief Range Officer must be within arms length of the shooter. In fact, the appropriate position for the Chief Range Officer is behind and off to the strong side of the shooter. In other words, if the shooter is right handed, the Chief Range Officer should be within arms length of the shooter, to the rear and right of centerline. In this way, you can see the shooter operate the gun with his or her strong hand. NEVER let the competitor get away from you.

Maybe if someone offered constructive criticism, this thread would have some merit.

He's not standing behind the shooter on the shooter's strong side. The half wall between him and the shooter could potentially keep him from preventing an unsafe act by the shooter.

He's not watching the guns other than when they're first engaged. He's clearly watching the targets.

He's in no way evaluating the shooter to anticipate anything.

If you watch the whole thing, he is more attentive with some shooters than others, quite likely because he knows the skills levels of each.

As to position, that prop is narrow enough that 'behind and to the side' may not be practical much of the time, especially with wide bodies like me. Footing behind the shooting position may also come in to play.

There are things to learn to be sure.

This thread does illustrate why some folks ask not to be videotaped.

This thread does illustrate why some folks ask not to be videotaped.

This is true.

I don't know the Cowboy or affiliated with the club, but the video shows one segment that can be construed that the TO is lacking in his duties. What it doesn't show is how many times this TO has performed his functions in near perfect performance.

He obviously must have some good TO qualities or shooters wouldn't want him to be a TO.

My guess is that the club is now probably short atleast 1 more volunteer to serve as TO, RO, etc...

I'm glad ALLIE directed this into a more positive, constructive direction... ;)

..........Widder

Some (from another thread) would say the TO was doing an excellent job of looking for edgers so he could introduce doubt to the spotters if the three spotters didn't see said edger.

Four sets of eyes looking for edger hits is better than three sets of eyes by 33%,

Of course, there are trade offs, like NOT assisting the shooter in a prompt manner, with brain fades and other potential safety items.

;)

I think it would be interesting to see some of the "Good TO's" post some videos of them running the clock so we could all see what a TO should look like, but I'm guessing we wouldn't get any volunteers to step in front of this firing squad!

TO should look at the timer during the last few shoots to insure timer has recorded the last shot.

TO should show the Shooter the time the timer has recorded.

I think it would be interesting to see some of the "Good TO's" post some videos of them running the clock so we could all see what a TO should look like, but I'm guessing we wouldn't get any volunteers to step in front of this firing squad!

"I'm your huckleberry."

I usually try to shoot first and then run the timer for 10-15 shooters, so I'm always open to suggestions on being a better TO.

I don't like to spot or time for more than six shooters. My concentration fades and I don't give the shooters my best effort. They deserve my full focus when shooting.

The video has been changed to Private, so we can't watch this video any longer?

Just a guess, Warden filmed and edited and posted the video for entertainment, not to see his good pard get roasted for how he ran the timer. Rather than continue to have folks tear apart his pards efforts, he made the video private. Just a guess, but I would have done the same thing.

Oops, look like Grizzly Dave beat me to the keyboard.

Are you really surprised? A fellow member took the time to post a video he thought others would enjoy watching, instead this garbage thread gets started for the sole purpose of bashing the video. But I guess there are those who will call this sort of thread informational.

Archived