SASS Wire Forum

the other unforeseen consequence of chemo and radiation

Trigger Mike

yet one more consequence of the chemo and radiation and surgery some what is that now after my wife's colon cancer is over the doctor determined that the nerves in her colon are dead. this means there is little to no warning of impending expulsion of solid waste material exiting the body. along with that for some unknown reason, likely the chemo, ever since chemo she has numerous bouts of diarrhea sometimes that go on for days. the dead nerves and diarrhea does not bode well together.

I write this so that others may beware and try and find a better solution, especially if the doctor tells you that your body is not processing the chemo correctly during treatment.

as a side note after 2 years they finally got her anxiety regulated as long as she remembers to take what they give her. this means that before saying things a man typically says without thinking i preface it with the question, "did you take your pill yet?" on days i forget to ask and say things i probably should not have and then ask afterwards, i usually go find something to do elsewhere. :-)

TM: my wife and I keep a DRY ERASE marker in our bathroom and right our special notes on the mirror.

Stuff like Doctor apps, etc... That might help in remembering medication times, etc...

As always, I hope these side effects are temporary and start to go away.

..........Widder

I found my neuropathy went away after time. It did take a while, however. I pray for the same results in your wife's case.

My chemo nearly killed me on the spot. I stopped breathing and lost consciousness. If it weren't for a nurse walking by, I would not be here now.

Chemo and radiation are really nasty things. I don't wish them on anyone.

Mr. Mike,prayers up for your wife for a complete recovery.

Hi Mike,

I think I may be one of the lucky ones. My colon cancer was caught sufficiently early that they got it all and I did not have to undergo chemo or radiation. I've since been moved to the "five-year-plan" for Colonoscopies.

Still, there were adverse reactions. I was sick (both ends as they say) off and on for five months afterwards. I still have residual effects (don't get in my way when...). Luckily, they are diminishing after seven years.

When I was 50, they were recommending Sigmoidoscopies. By the time I had my first Colonoscopy, at age 60, I had a growth that was too large to remove during the procedure, as many are, if caught early, and had to have in-patient surgery. Hubby, who is four years older than me had his first Colonoscopy the same year I did. Happily, he just had some polyps that were non-cancerous.

Everyone, the moral of the story is to have a colonoscopy as early as it is recommended or earlier with a family history of colon cancer.

I sincerely hope that your wife's unpleasant side effects (mental and physical) diminish. It does seem that things are better when you first posted about this.

Regards,

Allie

We were lucky with Schoolmarm. No chemo or radiation. The meds that they gave her HAVE cause significant hair loss. A small price to pay for her continued presence!! The meds also have caused her blood sugar to reach levels that are cause for concern, but not alarm.

My own ordeal with neuropathy and treatment for my few ailments have caused serious digestive issues for me.

I sympathize and offer my prayers as well for you wife's continued recovery and improvement.

I went thru chemo twice and radiation once. I had rectal cancer. After the initial surgery (I have a colostomy) and chemo/rad, 18 months later cancer shower up in my rt lung during a routine checkup/screening. More surgery and chemo. Took out a piece of my lung about the size of an olive. Colorectal ca spreads to the liver and/or lungs. The second chemo was awful. I was give a 1 in 10 chance for making it 5 years...has been 20. My point is that at least for me it was well worth it considering the alternative.

Side effects were pretty stressful, but after a year or so they disappeared. I have made lifestyle changes, but it's all in the way you look at it. I wake up every day, thankful for each day I have been given.

Allie,

thats good to know the side effects diminished after 7 years. perhaps her side effects will get better in 5 more since it has already been 2 years since the surgery portion. yes things are better than they were. i still say id prefer another trip to iraq over the last two years at home. it went from being constant battles to being once in a while skirmishes or enemy probes for weakness. her health seems to be getting worse though instead of better. i worry about her health and that she won't let me tell her ways to feel better. all in all its good she is alive

I have an elderly uncle that is suffering greatly from the effect of radiation for prostate cancer. Wildly overdosed and lost a large amount of tissue due to essentially cooking his nether regions.

i know these treatments have their place but i wonder if they are over prescribed and the dr did admit that he purposely ordered more chemo than needed to make sure and toned it down based on the side effects. seems they should ramp it up instead to lower the side effects that cause other problems.

Howdy Trigger Mike,

I sure hope as your wife's recovery continues the negative results of her treatment will improve. I understand first hand the anxiety issue a wife may have post cancer. Patience with a kind & sincere "Yes Dear" go along way. Analyzing a situation isn't as good as holding a hand or a loving hug.

Vaya con Dios, Keystone

PS Don't use a woman's favorite lipstick to write something on a mirror.......... bad results will follow.

Archived