SASS Wire Forum

Where will you find your serial numbers?

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

I believe I understand correctly that rifles manufactured in the 1800's and later had the serial number stamped in several places to ensure that when one is looking at the rifle, they can rest easy that all the parts belong to the original rifle.

I'm assuming that this practice has and still is being done by the modern day replica manufacturers such as Uberti, Taylor & Company, and Henry Repeating Arms, etc.

If this assumption is correct, where will you typically find the serial numbers on an action lever rifle? And will they typically be in the same general location on various brands of rifles?

Curious minds ask unusual questions?

Serial numbers will/must be on the frame. GCA of 1968

So there are no other requirements to have the serial number on the barrel?

And on a side note: What does GCA stand for? I looked it up on the Abbreviations and Acronym list and it wasn't there.

Never mind on this last question. Found it on the Internet in Wikipedia.

Marking requirements

The law also required that all newly manufactured firearms produced by licensed manufacturers in the United States and imported into the United States bear a serial number. Firearms manufactured prior to the Gun Control Act and firearms manufactured by non-FFLs remain exempt from the serial number requirement. Defacement or removal of the serial number (if present) is a felony offense.

GCA= Gun Control Act of 1968 While a lot of manufacturers put serial numbers on guns prior to that, it was not a federal requirement. It must only be on one part, the receiver. Some makers will stamp other parts as well.

Also, some manufacturers use assembly number to keep the parts of that gun together as it is being built. Usually, those numbers have nothing to do with the serial number.

So there are no other requirements to have the serial number on the barrel?

That is correct.

Different manufacturers had their own practices, but prior to 1968 there was no requirement to have any serial number at all on a firearm.

After 1968 a SN on the frame was required.

Prior to 1968 most firearm manufacturers serialized their products for inventory purposes, but it was not a requirement. I have an old Stevens 311 made before 1968 that does not have a SN on it.

A few variations:

1st Gen Colts had the SN on the frame in front of the trigger guard, on the trigger guard by the frame number, and on the underside of the backstrap.

Up until 1957 S&W revolvers had the SN of record on the underside of the butt. The SN appeared in three other places, underside of the barrel, rear of the cylinder, and underside of the extractor star. This was a reasonably good way to be sure the gun left the factory with those parts. After 1957 all Smiths only have the SN under the butt.

Winchester take down shotguns, such as some Model 1897s and all Model 12s have the SN marked on the underside of the frame and the underside of the barrel assembly.

So there is no specific regulation regarding Serial Numbers anywhere on a firearm other than the frame.

FWIW, Taylor's & Co., Inc. is not a manufacturer of firearms. The company is an importer and distributor of replica firearms, largely, if not exclusively, of Italian manufacture.

FWIW, Taylor's & Co., Inc. is not a manufacturer of firearms. The company is an importer and distributor of replica firearms, largely, if not exclusively, of Italian manufacture.

This opens up several more can of beans.

Regarding Serial Numbers:

1.) Does the Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968 have any regulation on serial numbers from imported firearms as noted above?

2.) If not, does this imply, for example, that an Italian manufacturer could either (A) not use serial numbers, (B) use serial numbers on select parts or © place serial numbers on all parts?

I'll start on those beans while I wait.....

This opens up several more can of beans.

Regarding Serial Numbers:

1.) Does the Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968 have any regulation on serial numbers from imported firearms as noted above?

2.) If not, does this imply, for example, that an Italian manufacturer could either (A) not use serial numbers, ( B) use serial numbers on select parts or © place serial numbers on all parts?

I'll start on those beans while I wait.....

It absolutely applies to ALL firearms made in or imported into this country. The receiver will have a serial number on it. Simple as that.

To kind of go over what DJ already said -

Newly made receivers/frames on guns must ALL be marked with a serial number. Other parts - no regulations apply. Manufacturer can put serials or other numbers on all parts they wish, or on nothing but the receiver.

Many military guns were made with at least receiver, bolt, stock and barrel serialized with same number (or at least the last few digits match).

Our single action revolvers, having cylinders that are easy to remove from gun, really need a number on each one to indicate what frame they have been fitted to. An etching pencil can add one on the cylinder face very easily - thus making it easy when you clean both revolvers at same time.

Guns made for sale in US before the GCA of 68 were not required to have serials. Many 22 rifles did not.

Good luck, GJ

Howdy Again

My old Belgian Browning High Power has the SN on the frame, the slide, and on the barrel visible through the ejection port. Proof marks also appear in all three places. I believe Lugers had just about every part serialized, the Germans loved to create all sorts of unnecessary paper work.

Smiths have all sorts of numbers stamped all over them, but those are assembly numbers to keep track of parts during assembly processes, they are not Serial Numbers.

Last year I was involved with a very rare 1911 that only had a SN stamped on the slide, nothing on the frame. But it was made in 1918, long before GCA 1968.

Only required number today is on the frame, all guns made or sold in the US.

Thank you BD, DJ & GJ:

What prompted my original inquiry was the recent acquisition of my 357/38 rifle which clearly had the SN stamped on the receiver plate portion that lies over the stock. I looked for it again on the barrel somewhere and did not see it.

I recall watching episodes of PAWN STARS where someone would come in with an original rifle from the civil war and when the gun expert arrived to authenticate it, would verify that the serial numbers stamped on the receiver, the barrel and somewhere else were first, all the same, and second were derivative of the time frame of the firearm.

Many thanks pards.

Remember, Pawn Stars is a reality TV show with very damn little reality in it. And surely never base any firearm authenticity or value on something you saw there.

Mr. Deal:

I learned that a long time ago. Most of the so called customers were actually planted. The show got away with it by breaking away and showing historical facts and information about the item. I know that there were firearms that were inspected, and they clearly showed the SN's on all the various parts.

Some of the "experts" on Pawn Stars are pretty good. Some are buffoons (at least one of the gun "experts" they called in for a nickled 1st gen Colt with gutta percha grips).

I have seen a number of Pedersoli Sharps that have the s/n on the barrel, and I do not see it on the frame, so assume it is hidden inside.

Archived