SASS Wire Forum

speaking of snakes will a pellet pistol kill one?

Trigger Mike

we have a snake farm here and 4 children to raise around them. I'm in favor of my oldest 11 year old son having a 22 pistol to deal with them, he has already killed 4 snakes with whatever he found handy at the time. my wife is not in favor of him having a pistol. i came up with the idea of a CO2 powered .177 pellet pistol. if he hit the snake in the head would it be enough to kill it with a sig sauer CO2 powered semi auto pistol?

we have a snake farm here and 4 children to raise around them. I'm in favor of my oldest 11 year old son having a 22 pistol to deal with them, he has already killed 4 snakes with whatever he found handy at the time. my wife is not in favor of him having a pistol. i came up with the idea of a CO2 powered .177 pellet pistol. if he hit the snake in the head would it be enough to kill it with a sig sauer CO2 powered semi auto pistol?

don't know about pellet gun but they don't like wasp spray and it will shoot from 15-20 away

I've killed snakes with pellet rifles and pellet pistols, but neither is easy to do depending on the snake. If it's moving head shots are tough and typically follow up shots take a while. I think a 410 'Snake Charmer' is the perfect solution. Having said that I wouldn't let my 11 year old roam unsupervised with any kind of firearm.

BB gun or pellet rifle yes.

There is little difference in lethality between an air pistol and a 22 revolver shooting shorts.

Hitting the head of a moving snake requires considerable marksmanship.

A garden hoe would be 1000% more effective than any pistol.

They're BOTH gunz-Why is one OK, and the other not? :wacko:

IF, the 11 yo is under adult oversight when he has the pistol. What's the big deal? Same for the BB gun.

Are there any laws where you live, that makes this act illegal?

OLG

All the snakes and hawks take out squirrels, so I try to not bother them.

A pellet pistol will work fine, but it's not especially easy to kill a snake with a small caliber handgun. Some may disagree. Shotgun is best.

Killing a snake usually isn't necessary. Instruct your child how to tell the difference between venomous and non-venomous snakes. I pick up and relocate non-venomous snakes to a place nearby that is safe for them.

Rattlers (which are fairly scarce here) go in a bag and are dumped in the creek, where there's lots of food for them.

If you "kill" a rattler (or any venomous snake), stay away from it. A rattler's dismembered head will still reflexively bite you. I've seen that happen three times.

i was telling my wife id only give him a 22 with snake shot in it but she still was not satisfied but relented on the pellet idea. he already roams the woods with a pellet rifle on his own and is responsible with it. i hound a lot about looking beyond the target for houses etc or people. along with the ponds we have we live near a swamp but don't want to raise housebound children so want him to explore but do it safely. i killed a copper head and rattler both in the front yard so staying close to home won't matter anyway

Don't just indiscriminately snuff snakes. Teach him to differentiate between the venomous ones and the good ratkillers.

\And yes a pellet pistol will kill most snakes. But a rifle is better, a shotgun best.

I killed a chipmunk with my Daisy Red Ryder BB rifle!! Yea, that was a GREAT shot!!! ;)

I shot a squirrel out of a tree with one of these Contender wannabes.

Ampell.jpg

Range was, maybe, fifteen feet. Took him out of the tree but he weren't nowheres near dead.

Copperhead/Sidewinder - maybe a pellet pistol

Western Ratlers - 38/45 shot cartridges

Eastern Diamondback - Shotgun

I've killed two poisonous snakes, a cottonmouth and a coral snake. Both came out of cover, right between my feet. I got the cottonmouth with an axe. I was moving a wood pile to the trash fire. The snake came out from under the pile and went right between my feet. One swing took it's head right off. The coral snake came out from under some bushes while I was mowing the lawn. Briggs & Stratton works as well on snakes as it does on grass. Both times I was wearing my snakebite proof boots The boots are guaranteed to prevent snake bites. If the snake bites through the boots, they give you a new pair of boots. :ph34r::P

I've killed two poisonous snakes, a cottonmouth and a coral snake. Both came out of cover, right between my feet. I got the cottonmouth with an axe. I was moving a wood pile to the trash fire. The snake came out from under the pile and went right between my feet. One swing took it's head right off. The coral snake came out from under some bushes while I was mowing the lawn. Briggs & Stratton works as well on snakes as it does on grass. Both times I was wearing my snakebite proof boots The boots are guaranteed to prevent snake bites. If the snake bites through the boots, they give you a new pair of boots. :ph34r::P

New boots to wear on Boot Hill...........

Seamus

We use to see quite a few rattlers at my Grandparents farm and more at my Aunt's farm; she lived next to a creek. A neighbor had a big problem with rattlers too. He taught us a trick using a 22 rifle OR pistol. When a rattler coils it'll follow an object with it's head. Axel pointed the barrel of whichever he had with him and moved it in a small circle. The Rattler trained it's focus on the moving barrel. All Axel had to do was pull the trigger and the snakes head was no more or severely ventilated. YES, it worked. Not sure how it would work with other species.

A Mojave Green chased me some distance back up a narrow arroyo until I fell down. Then it became serious. Soon's I hit the ground I had my Colt out, sat up quickly, aimed loosely at the thing, fired, and the .357 hit him squarely in the head. I had always heard about how Mojave Green rattlesnakes are aggressive and how they line up on the muzzle of a firearm. I mentally checked both off as possibly being true that day. I was trying to herd him off to the side with a piece of dead brush and apparently pissed him off.

A Mojave Green chased me some distance back up a narrow arroyo until I fell down. Then it became serious. Soon's I hit the ground I had my Colt out, sat up quickly, aimed loosely at the thing, fired, and the .357 hit him squarely in the head. I had always heard about how Mojave Green rattlesnakes are aggressive and how they line up on the muzzle of a firearm. I mentally checked both off as possibly being true that day. I was trying to herd him off to the side with a piece of dead brush and apparently pissed him off.

Mojaves do have an attitude.

Years ago when I use to catch snakes and lizards for local pet shops (it was legal then), we would move the rattlers off the road. The Mojaves always headed straight for us and when we moved them off the road they came back after us again. Every time. They did not get another chance. Shot cartridges are effective at close range.

When I caught Eastern Diamondbacks on McDill AFB in Florida, many of the snakes went above 6 foot in length. Thankfully they are not aggressive and handle well on a snake hook.

Archived