SASS Wire Forum

Sorta OT: where to buy .45 Colt shotshells (or just make my own?)

So I've used up all but just a few of my supply of CCI .45 Colt shotshells on the apparently burgeoning population of buzzworms in my yard and the surrounding area, and I'm trying to find some more. Does anybody know of any online vendors who have some in stock? I've tried local brick and mortar stores and come up empty...

Many moons ago, somebody sent me a handful of .444 Marlin cases that I cut down to fit the cylinder of my trail pistol, and which I loaded with APP and 7 1/2 shot. Maybe I'd be better off just using some of those, or shooting them up and reloading the cases...

Any suggestions for wad materials, etc.? I really don't want to buy a whole bag of some sort of wads to make up half a dozen rounds...

I know, I know, picky, picky, picky...

I've seen several...cookie cardboard box, plastic milk carton, etc. Sharpen edge of your brass, using a regular case deburring/beveling tool, use as a cookie cutter, a couple taps with rubber mallet, make several (6-8 max) punch out thru empty primer pocket (straightened paper clip). Also, do a search on YouTube, quite a few examples reloading (reload .45 long colt shotshell or snake shot shell).

RRR

Howdy:

Either make them yourself as intimated previously or look at Midwayusa and buy the Long Colt Capsules from them by Speer for $6. Plus change for 25 capsules.

STL Suomi

Here's a few neat articles...

www.castbullet.com/reload/44shot.htm

http://www.avr-developers.com/45shotshell/hl80.html

http://www.ammochannel.com/45-acp-shotshells-handloaded/

Note, the first one references an article from 2005 Handloader Magazine.

RRR

Edited: corrected 2nd link I hope, added 3rd link/article

I've got the RCBS kit. Couple of things I learned through experience.

I had a bunch of NATO blanks, so that's what I made my first ones with.

Don't know if it was because of the RIFLE primers or not, but these had too much expantion. They would not eject from my gun. I ended up using them in a Blackhawk convertible.

Closing the case. My brother used saran wrap. I've heard of egg-carton Styrofoam, and cereal-box cardboard, but I made a Maylay load. Topped the load of #9 with a 000 buckshot.

On paper there'd be a centered .32 hole with itty bitty holes all around it. Seemed like it wiuld work for a snake.

Damn things don't work in a DA Smith, though. They do NOT like moon clips.

Thanks for the replies, folks. I'm kind of a "make it myself when I can" kinda guy, so I guess I'll revisit my .444 cases!

Archived