SASS Wire Forum

Spotting scope

Hoss

My poor, tired eyes ain't what the used to be!

I'm going to be looking for a spotting scope, nothing fancy or expensive. Need to see 45-70 size holes in paper at 2-400 yards. What's a good, reasonably priced scope for that purpose? What "power" should I be looking for?

Not a bad deal for the money.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/konus-konuspot-80-80mm-3-1-spotting-scope.html

It's not a Celestron or Kowa. I have look'd through a few of'em, and for the price, not bad.

OLG

Abou 8 years ago a friend of mine just up and gave me a Celestron spotting scope with tripod. Pretty nice scope for the price. I leave it set up in my shop sometimes and watch the wildlife on the hill across the street. Very nice scope.

I've purchased 3 spotting scopes in the last 3 years, always trying to balance cost with performance,DON'T buy a BSA, they no longer support them and they were not very good to start. I now have a Celestron 20x60x60. The power is all you need, but a larger objective lens would be better, at least 80mm. Count on the tripod to be junk no matter how much you spend.Good Luck.

I recently bought a Vortex Diamondback, 20-60 power angled eyepiece, 80mm front objective. Great scope for the money, with a no BS lifetime warranty.

TB

I used a hundred dollar scope for several years until I got my Ruger Presision rifle in .308 and put a $600 vortex on it and it put the spotting scope to shame the spotter went in to the trash. I went looking for a good scope and found out that short of $500 plus it wasn't going to happen I found a target camera setup for a half that. Used t several times since getting it and prefer it to any scope. I use it with my iPad. I really want to use it with my laptop as it will keep the info.

It all depends how serious you are and what your future intent is.

You picked 400 yds with 45/70 ??? if thats all your going to go you don't need a expensive more powerful scope, however, if your going to go further $$$$

Thanks for the info AMBUSH.

I will probably contact Vortex next week and check into getting a Diamondback spotting scope.

..........Widder

Widder,

Might want to check Bushnell as well. I know they extend special pricing to law enforcement and military (active, retired & reserves), but I'm not sure about veterans.

Colleen M. Cain

Bushnell Outdoor Products

Military, LE and Outdoor Professional VIP Program

dmcain2@comcast.net

(866) 543-0833 (toll free)

(303) 955-8590 (office)

(303) 955-8903 (fax)

I agree with Lumpy. 45 cal holes at 400yds are iffy even with the finest scopes. I use a 6" Celestron for our really long range. Even with the new Swaro 45 holes in paper at 400 depends more on the mirage than anything else.

The majority will be < 400 yds. That would be my extreme distance.

You will be at the unforgiving mercy of 'Miss Mirage' from 300 yds on. Miss Mirage is a vengeful witch, in all forums of shooting.

One of the reasons I like to shoot steel past 400 yds. The silver splats are easy to see on black steel. ;)

OLG

Archived