SASS Wire Forum

Reloading bench

Tex Jones, SASS 2263

Moving into a new place next month and starting to think about a new bench as the old one didn't make the move. Any suggestions? I looked at the benches at americanworkbench.com and while very nice, they are a bit pricey. Need room for a 550 and Rockchucker.

Thanks,

Tex

Sams Club sells a pretty nice bench for reloading. I made my own out of 2x4's and plywood.

Mine is probably heavier duty than it needs to be but I built my own with 4x4 legs, 2x4 framing, and 3/4" plywood with shelving

Mine is probably heavier duty than it needs to be but I built my own with 4x4 legs, 2x4 framing, and 3/4" plywood with shelving

+1 got plans for it on the web.

Find a cheap small desk at flea market; drawers are handy. Mount your presses on plywood; you can secure them permanently to the desk or store them someplace else as you wish.

Makes the room look like something other than a workshop.

figure out exactly where you want your loading bench at new location. Measure the space and then purchase or build a bench to completely fill the spot.

Put some thought on how high you want the bench top. Do you want to stand or set when you operate the presses? How high a chair or stool.

Some of those Hareware stores (Home Depot & similar) have kits that have the legs and bracing for sale, you supply the top, which would make it more custom sized for your space and needs.

Good luck

Uno created a desk/worktable using a solid wood door on top of two drafting table file cabinets. The hole in the door for the knob works great for running wiring through. The drawers are handy for storage and there is plenty of surface area to work with.

Gorilla shelves. Half a unit high is a perfect height. Add an extra piece of 3/4 ply on the top.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/gorilla-rack-shelving-48-w-x-24-d-x-72-h/179150.ip

Also at Lowes and Home Depot

I use my previous computer table. Super sturdy and not overly big.

BUT, its smaller size minimizes storage places and therefore, I keep my supplies in a closet.

..........Widder

I know alot of folks that use this...http://m.harborfreight.com/60-inch-workbench-93454.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

Get them on sale, then it is easy to get another 20% off coupon to boot! If you read the reviews you will find several on using it for a reloading bench.

Major Art Tillery

I build all my work benches out of 2X6 and 3/4" plywood. I used to use 4X4's for the legs but the last one (and the next one will be) all 2X6. Carriage bolts for the legs, deck screws for the plywood. My standard design is 2x6 upper and lower frame. I generally build'em like a box because I hate having legs and a space underneath for springs and junk to go. Don't ask how I know this, LOL. Two sheets will do. One for the top and a shelf under, the other for the bottom (shelf) and another shelf. Depth and width to preference.

Howdy,

At one time I saw a set of plans to put a loading bench in a corner of a room.

It had doors that could be closed and keep little fingers off things.

If anyone has a copy of those corner loading bench plans,

please pass em my way.

Of course the doors added storage when folded open.

Best

CR

I did some lookin and found it on www.ray-vin.com

(which I thought was gone, is still around and they have plans-free- and Im just so happy

these folks are still around. I thought they retired and folded their tent.

I bugged them to make me a clamp on scope stand and they finally did.)

The notes say that Ray has changed the corner bench plans.

Im confident his changes are all for the good.

Find a cheap small desk at flea market; drawers are handy. Mount your presses on plywood; you can secure them permanently to the desk or store them someplace else as you wish.

Makes the room look like something other than a workshop.

Yup, I use a couple rescued from the attic kitchen tables and one slightly abused entertainment center from Wally World from sometime in the early '90s. Works great and I don't feel guilty when I put random screws in them to hang up tools. I even have an old love next to the work table, so honey can sit next to me and watch tv if she feels like it.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/ultra-heavy-duty-workbench/prod1490086.ip

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/05048103

Here are the Sam's Club bench and the MSC leg kit I have. I like them both.

I have the Sam's Club table shown here. The height is perfect for reloading standing up. I also have a reloader on each corner, good stability.

Just bee sure to attach it to a couple of wall studs once you find the desired spot. Couple of cheap angle brackets attaching it to a wall stud or two improves your reloading experience immensely.

I went to a cabinet place and got 2 blemished drawer units. Screwed two wide thick boards to the top. (I used the end

panels from an old upright piano) To move, I remove the presses and unscrew the top boards from the drawer units and

then it moves easy. I also set an old bookcase headboard on the back, so with the bookcase piece and the drawers I have lots of storage.

Archived