SASS Wire Forum

Pros/Cons CCI 209 primers

Yusta B.

Hello Yusta B. I used them for years shooting skeet. Never had a single problem with them. In recent times, I've use other brands depending on what was available. Come to think of it, I cannot remember a single problem with any shotgun primer. That is certainly not the case with pistol and rifle primers. See 'ya Saturday at the Troublemakers.

TR

The only time I had any CCI 209's not go off, it was the gun not the primers. Once that little issue was sorted, no problems at all. I've been using either Winchesters or CCI's for the last 10 years with no problems. I do exclusively use CCI's in my muzzle loader (not the regular 209's but their black powder version). I find I get a better powder burn in that gun using them over the others.

All I use now are the CCI 209 magnum primers and when I can't find those it's Winchester 209's. I had some Federal 209's and had 8 FTF's out of 2 boxes. Tried those FTF's in both barrels and they were no go in both. Don't use those anymore. The CCI magnum 209's seem to have a bit hotter burn. With non magnum I get some plastic "snot"...with the magnums it's all powder- like when I run the bore brush through it. Haven't had a FTF with the 2000 (+ or -) of the ones I've used since switching to those.

Thanks one & all - I feel better now. Just bought a K to try out.

TR - will try to make Troublemakers.

Archived