SASS Wire Forum

Anybody know what this is?

Two Spurs

What in the world is this? Was at an estate sale and now something cool to add with my other....stuff! :lol:

6017fa_9b5b7b6ee4674c0fbedc6fba1a16b1ec~

6017fa_d8a15e8a14d242ec8198bdfd754c426b~

6017fa_92373c821e534856a40e7e59f61cb5a1~

fencing tool.

Thanks Home Range.

Hmmm.... I get the "hammer" portion and the point. I'm guessing that the "ratcheting rail" (?) would make this only a part of the complete mechanism?

I see no marks on the wood like it was working in conjunction with something, and the U.S. stamp makes me wonder as to year range and such.

Any more info you might be able to add? ^_^

Looks like another version of this Fence Stretcher. But your's is a lighter weight combo tool version.

*Edit - I found reference to US Cavalry Fence Tools, and probably why yours is a lightweight version. Annual Report from the Ohio Adjutant General's Dept. 1904 says that any fences they cut while in the field must be repaired. They had to "draw 4 Wire Nippers and other tools from the Quartermaster as soon as they arrive in camp..."

"Division Commanders will organize pioneer forces, each under charge of an officer, to repair damage to fences, etc., as soon as possible after they occur."...

Each regimental commander and commanding officer of separate battalion, company, or detachment will organize a pioneer force for his command, as indicated above, to repair damage to fences, etc., as soon as possible after they occur."...

This was probably a standard practice across the peacetime Cavalry units. Looks like you've got part of a turn of the century militaria. Nice pick.

155302201_fence-wire-stretcher-wood-36-i

Some of you fellas have been standing at tha bar for too long! :P:lol:

Thanks McCandless. (and everyone else!). Now to find the other parts to the puzzle! :D

I don't know about pix #1 and #3....... but pix #2 is a bottle of water.

I'm surprised some of these posters didn't know. Then again, I would have been surprised if some of them had known..... :lol::lol::lol:

..........Widder

I think you have all of it. The pointed end is used to remove fence staples by using it as a spike while pounding on the part that looks like a hammer. The ratchet rail is a support and anti-slip device for using the tool as a lever to stretch wire.

Blackfoot

Archived