SASS Wire Forum

Iron Frame Henry Review

Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L

Just a "little" PRICY!! Should be happy for an American made example ...... but ..... 2,750 ?? Wowzer

You know, it comes up here on the wire fairly regular, folks asking why an American company can't reproduce these guns. The answer is, as you can see the price is going to be high. There is just way too many machining steps involved in making these old guns. The cost has to be amortized over the projected market. In other words divide the total production cost by the number of projected sales. The problem then is the market is just not big enough. The market for some old designs is huge, like a 1911. Not so much with these rifles.

You know, it comes up here on the wire fairly regular, folks asking why an American company can't reproduce these guns. The answer is, as you can see the price is going to be high. There is just way too many machining steps involved in making these old guns. The cost has to be amortized over the projected market. In other words divide the total production cost by the number of projected sales. The problem then is the market is just not big enough. The market for some old designs is huge, like a 1911. Not so much with these rifles.

Exactly right, here. If I ever do get a Henry, it'll be one of these. That iron frame is really cool looking.

I have the brass framed Henry made by The Henry rifle Co. and it was a bit more in cost, but I'm into it for just under $2,000

The best part is my 2 year old Grandson's middle name is Henry and it's going to him when he is old enough. A Henry,

made by Henry, for Henry

My problem is my other grandson. He is 6 mo. old and his middle name is Harley.

I have the brass framed Henry made by The Henry rifle Co. and it was a bit more in cost, but I'm into it for just under $2,000

The best part is my 2 year old Grandson's middle name is Henry and it's going to him when he is old enough. A Henry,

made by Henry, for Henry

My problem is my other grandson. He is 6 mo. old and his middle name is Harley.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/harley-davidson-belt-buckle

Harley made of brass. Problem solved, your welcome!

It's kind of a chicken and the egg deal eh? It seems like a lot more folks would buy em just to have a nice ranch gun if they were cheaper, but they won't get cheaper unless folks buy em.

At some price level, it becomes more than a matter of affordability; it becomes a matter of proportionality. Even if one could easily afford it, why pay $2,750 for a replica rifle when very fine replicas of the same rifle can be had for $1,000? Both rifles are replicas. That one is made in the US doesn't make it one iota more "realistic" or "genuine" than the other.

Nothing wrong with a general preference for "made in America". On the other hand, were it not for the Northern Italian gunmakers, there would never have been Cowboy Action Shooting.

Let's not forget that the vision of Val Forgett, Jr., combined with the acumen of Aldo Uberti (an Italian arms manufacturer), ultimately made our sport possible.

At some price level, it becomes more than a matter of affordability; it becomes a matter of proportionality. Even if one could easily afford it, why pay $2,750 for a replica rifle when very fine replicas of the same rifle can be had for $1,000? Both rifles are replicas. That one is made in the US doesn't make it one iota more "realistic" or "genuine" than the other.

Nothing wrong with a general preference for "made in America". On the other hand, were it not for the Northern Italian gunmakers, there would never have been Cowboy Action Shooting.

Let's not forget that the vision of Val Forgett, Jr., combined with the acumen of Aldo Uberti (an Italian arms manufacturer), ultimately made our sport possible.

I don't think anyone is saying that the Italian guns are garbage. I believe over half of my current cowboy stock is comprised of Italian clones. What I have found is that the American made guns are made to higher standard of quality in both components and labor. If this weren't the case, then the Italian guns would be at least as expensive. But it's also not just about Italian versus America. I shoot Colts that are 2-3 times the price of Rugers while both are made in America. It's for each individual that plays this game to decide where and how to spend their money. I am just glad that we have options.

Archived