SASS Wire Forum

Non-SASS Chiappa 1886 and Henry .45-70s - Are they any good?

Flaco Joe

Howdy Pards,

I'm wanting to buy a .45-70 lever gun for thumping bears and moose, and generally to look like a bad@$$.

I've handled a few Marlin 1895s, and they are great guns, but given the problems Marlin has had lately, I'm reluctant to buy one sight-unseen online. I've seen several YouTube videos about the Chiappa 1886 models. Having a John Browning design is appealing, and the weather-proof finish Chiappa offers would make it ideal for an Alaskan hunter. I also really like the take-down option.

Henry also has an all-weather version of their Big Boy .45-70. It also looks like a great gun, and would be considerably cheaper than the Chiappa.

Does anyone have experience using either model? Is the Chiappa worth the high price? Would the Henry be a good budget option? Can both guns stand up to hard use in the bush?

Thanks

If I wanted a bear gun, I would get the best I could. Would not let a few $$$ put me in way of wearing a bear skin jacket!

I have a 1895 Marlin in 45-70. never had a jam or any other problem.

Hello Flaco Joe. I have a Chiappa 1886 Trapper. Fit and finish are nice. The wood on mine is exceptional - lots of figure. However, the action out of the box was very rough - much rougher than my out of the box Browning/Winchester '86's. However, that was very fixable and now I am quite happy with my Chiappa. Very accurate as well!

TR

If I wanted a bear gun, I would get the best I could. Would not let a few $$$ put me in way of wearing a bear skin jacket!

I have a 1895 Marlin in 45-70. never had a jam or any other problem.

I couldn't' agree more. I have an 1895 guide gun that was designed for what you are looking for. It has the laminated stock, so it can get beat up in the brush, short barrel but full length magazine tube so you can load 6, and the big loop lever so you can wear gloves and still cycle the action. I have run some really hot buffalo bore rounds through it that are not at all pleasant to the shoulder, but should kill anything on the planet. I can't say personally how it performs against bears, but I do know they can drop a wild pig or two. Mine is one of the newer "Remlins" and other than being a bit stiff at first, it works great. The only modification I would make is to get the bear proof extractor. That makes sure the shells eject with enough force to not hang up in the action.

As for the others, I have no personal experience with them. I have handled the Henry and I hate to say it but it is really ugly. Plus you have to load through the tube instead of the gate, which if for some ungodly reason you didn't drop a bear with 6 rounds you would really be wishing you could load through a gate. The 1886 is a lovely rifle and on my wish list, but I think if I ever decide to buy one I would skip the Chiappa and get the Turnbull Winchester. Just my opinion there. That's one of the best looking lever action rifles I have ever seen.

One thing to consider, if the gun is too light, .45-70 can be a real shoulder thumper.

The loads I'd been using just fine in my 1884 Trapdoor rifle were suddenly quite painful in my 73 trapdoor carbine and a Winchester 86 with a 20" octagon barrel. Went back to the bench and had to come up with a new load. Switching powders helped.

I couldn't' agree more. I have an 1895 guide gun that was designed for what you are looking for. It has the laminated stock, so it can get beat up in the brush, short barrel but full length magazine tube so you can load 6, and the big loop lever so you can wear gloves and still cycle the action. I have run some really hot buffalo bore rounds through it that are not at all pleasant to the shoulder, but should kill anything on the planet. I can't say personally how it performs against bears, but I do know they can drop a wild pig or two. Mine is one of the newer "Remlins" and other than being a bit stiff at first, it works great. The only modification I would make is to get the bear proof extractor. That makes sure the shells eject with enough force to not hang up in the action.

As for the others, I have no personal experience with them. I have handled the Henry and I hate to say it but it is really ugly. Plus you have to load through the tube instead of the gate, which if for some ungodly reason you didn't drop a bear with 6 rounds you would really be wishing you could load through a gate. The 1886 is a lovely rifle and on my wish list, but I think if I ever decide to buy one I would skip the Chiappa and get the Turnbull Winchester. Just my opinion there. That's one of the best looking lever action rifles I have ever seen.

With the lever open, load a round in the chamber as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZpgvqGOcxI&feature=player_detailpage#t=282

The advantage of the Henry rifle is that unlike the open-top rifles like the Winchester and Rossi, the closed-top feature allows (1) the brass to eject out the side and away from the shooter (as opposed to flying up in the air and landing on your hat, etc.) and (2) makes the rifle that much stronger with fewer cut-outs to weaken the receiver.

With the lever open, load a round in the chamber as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZpgvqGOcxI&feature=player_detailpage#t=282

The advantage of the Henry rifle is that unlike the open-top rifles like the Winchester and Rossi, the closed-top feature allows (1) the brass to eject out the side and away from the shooter (as opposed to flying up in the air and landing on your hat, etc.) and (2) makes the rifle that much stronger with fewer cut-outs to weaken the receiver.

That method is still slower than loading through the gate, especially if you consider you can only load the one in the henry vs. 6 in the marlin. And speaking of the marlin, you may not be aware of this, but the 1895 also ejects to the side.

Flaco Joe,

I have four Chiappas, an 86 rifle and carbine as well as a 92 rifle and carbine. The 92s were both super smooth when I got them, but the 86s were fairly rough until they loosen up with use or you work on them. (there are some guides out there) The 86 carbine was the toughest to find, but it would be my goto pack gun. It holds seven in the tube, it is light and handy compared to the full size rifle. I would not want to lug a full sized 86 around, it's a huge rifle and weighs a ton.

The 86 is not butt ugly like a marlin and is strong enough to handle anything you feed it. The carbine is a great pointing rifle like all the Winchester carbines. I let my younger brother us it for deer since we can use 45-70 in Ohio now, but he ended up getting one with his bow. If you could find one, an 86 carbine would beat anything for a classic brush gun.

I wanted one since I first saw Tom use one in Monte Walsh!

DD

Flaco Joe,

I have four Chiappas, an 86 rifle and carbine as well as a 92 rifle and carbine. The 92s were both super smooth when I got them, but the 86s were fairly rough until they loosen up with use or you work on them. (there are some guides out there) The 86 carbine was the toughest to find, but it would be my goto pack gun. It holds seven in the tube, it is light and handy compared to the full size rifle. I would not want to lug a full sized 86 around, it's a huge rifle and weighs a ton.

The 86 is not butt ugly like a marlin and is strong enough to handle anything you feed it. The carbine is a great pointing rifle like all the Winchester carbines. I let my younger brother us it for deer since we can use 45-70 in Ohio now, but he ended up getting one with his bow. If you could find one, an 86 carbine would beat anything for a classic brush gun.

I wanted one since I first saw Tom use one in Monte Walsh!

DD

Butt ugly marlin? Them's fightin' words mister. In all seriousness, I would put a marlin 1895 guide gun up against a chiappa carbine any day of the week. I can't think of a single way it would lose.

As for movies and wanting guns, I am more guilty than most. I just saw crossfire trail again for I don't know how many times and found myself shopping for an 1876 and an open top. If I had bigger hands, a schofield would be on that list as well.

CFT3641.jpg

I've had both... IMO, the Chiappa is a good looking gun, but the Marlin is a better gun. I kept the Marlin. Just my opinion.

Snakebite

Guilty as charged Redwood! I may or may not have a 76 carbine in 45-60 coming in this very afternoon......

Now about that S&W.......

As for movies and wanting guns, I am more guilty than most. I just saw crossfire trail again for I don't know how many times and found myself shopping for an 1876 and an open top. If I had bigger hands, a schofield would be on that list as well.

Hey Flaco Joe.

For a handy rifle I really like my Marlin Guide Gun. 450 Marlin or 45-70 the rifle handles well and is a serious hammer. I also have an old Winchester 86 rifle in 45-70. The 86 is in a class all its own but is a bit heavy and then there's that darn crescent butt plate.

I chose the Marlin in 450 so I could not endanger my other 45-70 rifles with heavy loads buy mistake.

Guilty as charged Redwood! I may or may not have a 76 carbine in 45-60 coming in this very afternoon......

Now about that S&W.......

Well if you do, I want to see some pics!

Good input everyone.

I think I've decided on a Henry. They have an all-weather version with a brushed chome finish and rubberized wood stocks that would handle Alaska's bush conditions. I held a new Big Boy in .44 mag today, and the action was very smooth. I've also held several Marlin guide guns, including a new one today at the same shop. While they are fine rifles, I like the slimmer contours of the Henry better. I'm also leery of getting a bad Remlin. I've not yet heard of anyone having major issues with a Henry.

A pard put me onto a JM Marlin for sale nearby. I might consider one of those if the price is right, so I plan to check it out.

I'd love to own a Winchester, but the crescent stock won't work for me as a snap shooter, and would be pretty brutal with heavy loads. I'd take a Chiappa, but I can get two Henrys for the same price.

This is a great forum!

Archived