SASS Wire Forum

Stage Writing Best Wording for............

Cypress Sam, SASS #10915

When I'm writing stages for our monthly match, I routinely use the term "make safe" when referring to discarding the long gun after a shooting sequence.

A stage might read:

"From left window engage rifle targets two times each. Make rifle safe.

From doorway, knock down SG targets. Make SG safe.

From right window engage pistol targets with 5 rounds each."

My reason for doing this is to permit flexibility on where to place the long gun when finished shooting. Basic SASS rules are silent on where to restage long guns after shooting, but competitors seem to think that they have to be restaged back wherever they came from. What I want to accomplish, without having to write a book, is to give them a choice.

Saying "make safe" is redundant, but it's easier than saying "restage rifle/shotgun at either window".

Does anyone have suggestions as to the best way to convey this?

I use make safe. There are those who will say that people should know to do that if no instruction is given and while they are absolutely right, the fact remains that there are always questions or misunderstandings if no instruction is given. Those two words are easy for me to type and make the stage more clear across the board.

Frankly, to me, by writing "make ____ safe" after a shooting string implies at that location. If you wish to allow the shooter options on what to do with long arms after a string, remain silent. I find it amusing that for split shotgun strings, stage writers will often say, "move w/shotgun to position ____." Like the shotgun would get there without us, :ph34r: but... there are very literal readers among us.

Howdy CS.

Actually, no wording would be still be sufficient because making safe is a standard in our game.

To me, using 'make safe' is like saying 'holster revolvers'.

Hope you are doing well.

..........Widder

I like & always use "Make ___ safe"

You could say... "Safely restage ____"

But then I specify at the posse marshal walk-thru that it is OK to restage in the same location, restage in the new location, if they moved to a new shooting position, etc.

--Dawg

Howdy CS.

Actually, no wording would be still be sufficient because making safe is a standard in our game.

To me, using 'make safe' is like saying 'holster revolvers'.

Hope you are doing well.

..........Widder

+100

I understand both sides of this coin....

My answer to you is this - it depends on your shooters. While many of us would be fine with no instruction to 'make safe' there are others who would ask every stinking time 'what do we do with the rifle' and yes, I've seen it happen. I've also shot with folks who want stage instructions to spell out every detail, including where to restage each gun.

While redundant, 'make X safe' is three words, takes up very little space, ink or toner, and is spoken quickly. If you want to make that more specific add the word 'anywhere'. Personally I think make x safe is a good middle ground between the extremes.

Cover it in the safety meeting as the default. State that stage description will stipulate if different.

Our MD began simplifying instructions some time back. It has, I believe, helped train our shooters to learn the Stage Conventions which dictate how things are done. What is left are the specific instructions for the stage.

When we read the instructions people sometimes ask questions and are not discouraged from doing so. When we have new folks we instruct and help them in an appropriate manner.

This approach is common in other shooting sports.

Howdy Sam, I don't say anything in the stage discription unless it's needed to be made safe at a particular postion. I do have notes that I read before the stages and explain that you make safe where ever you want, and shoot in either direction. This frees up all categories and styles (lefthanded-righthanded-one handed-two handed) to be shot in a way that best suits them for transitions and thier chosen category. Good Luck :)

"Note; Sweeps my start on either end. Nevada sweep in either direction. Stage Conventions apply"

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

"Make safe" to me means just that, regardless if you lay it down on prop at position...or take with you to next position to lay down....

Just know that you earn the penalty if you say, break the 170° rule, or drop, ect. ;)

No matter what words you use....someone is invaribaly going to challenge it's 'true' meaning.

make safe infers that the shooter can take firearm with them to discard anywhere they wish. And that can be good and adds complexity to the stage.

Restage means the long gun has to go back from where it came from. Stage writer may use this wording to keep the shooter from running and gunning to next shooting position.

Saying nothing means ?? to me and thus ask because I don't know the intent of the writer. It should help the out of towners that are not accustom to that clubs standard procedures.

I have seen one club where when nothing is said to mean, 'make safe anywhere'

I have seen other clubs where nothing is said to mean. 'restage gun where you got it'

No matter what, the firearm has to be discarded safely (muzzle direction, empty action, etc) because there are rules that penalize the shooter if he doesn't.

Take shotgun with you directions may mean the shooter will have more targets to engage there, or stage writer wants all guns at the final shooting position so the shooter can pickup all guns and proceed to ULT without going back to gather long guns.

Effective stage writing is where there are no questions to be asked at the end of the stage reading to a bunch of out of towners that truly listened.

I like, stage and restage safely,, leaving it up to the shooter as to where to stage and restage the long guns.....

I like & always use "Make ___ safe"

You could say... "Safely restage ____"

But then I specify at the posse marshal walk-thru that it is OK to restage in the same location, restage in the new location, if they moved to a new shooting position, etc.

--Dawg

Ya beat me to it Dawg, the posse marshal walk through is to clear up questions like this. ;)

Use the appropriate number of words required to convey exactly what, where and how you expect your shooters to do.

There are no awards for brevity.

And there is nothing gained by omitting two words and gaining 5 minutes of debate.

"It's covered by the stage conventions" - So what?

Your job as stage writer is to direct your shooters.

And your instructions should be written to do the best job possible - while encompassing shooters of all knowledge levels, experience levels and abilities.

If that requires an extra word, phrase or sentence and you choose to leave it out.

No one will be impressed by your efficiency; only annoyed by your failure.

I fail to understand this new trend of "lets see how few words I can use to write this instruction".

Ambiguity is not a virtue.

And words are free.

I have been writing stages for our monthly matches for the last 5 years. I generally write "make rifle/shotgun safe" that gives the shooter a chance to make it safe where ever they choose. Other instruction include "take to position 2 and make safe, (before starting) stage anywhere safely", restage vertically" etc.

TB

You guys need to start telling them each stage not to put a round in the props. Not to shoot themselves. Or anyone else. Don't drop a loaded gun. Or an unloaded one, for that matter.

If they aren't sure enough to know to make the rifle safe, may be that they can't handle knowing those few simple rules, either...

Use the appropriate number of words required to convey exactly what, where and how you expect your shooters to do.

And there is nothing gained by omitting two words and gaining 5 minutes of debate.

And your instructions should be written to do the best job possible - while encompassing shooters of all knowledge levels, experience levels and abilities.

If that requires an extra word, phrase or sentence and you choose to leave it out.

I fail to understand this new trend of "lets see how few words I can use to write this instruction".

And words are free.

Okay my friend, you know I very rarely disagree with you and bicker simply because I enjoy being a pain in the butt, right? So here goes, what's wrong with "Make Safe"? What other words do you feel need to be added?

And words are free.

well said,

At a recent shoot, there were five pistol targets lined up in a neat row. Stage description said to shoot P1,P2,P3,P4,P5 and repeat with second pistol. A shooter asked if they could start on either end. YES.

A seasoned shooter said :

'it is common knowledge and custom to be able to start from either end', no need to ask.

I said, you have a 50% change of being correct.

Stage Convention #6 tells every shooter, on every stage, exactly what to do.

"6. Long guns will be cleared and discarded with their barrels pointed safely down range ..."

The only reason to say anything would be out of concern for a special safety situation.

There can be more to it than that.

A),may take gun with you to another location?

or

B) must put firearm back where it was originally staged.?

There can be more to it than that.

A),may take gun with you to another location?

or

B) must put firearm back where it was originally staged.?

Or stage rifle in rack. We do that quite often.

Stage Convention #6 tells every shooter, on every stage, exactly what to do.

"6. Long guns will be cleared and discarded with their barrels pointed safely down range ..."

The only reason to say anything would be out of concern for a special safety situation.

Discarded means to set down, throw away or separate yourself from. If the instructions said make shotgun safe and pistols were next for example, you could hold the shotgun while shooting your pistols so long as it is done safely.

It is amazing if you do not specify what to do with a firearm after firing it, the number of people on the posse that will ask "what are you supposed to do with your gun after you shoot it?"

As August West pointed out stage conventions already describe what to do with a long gun, as well as revolvers so I only insert directions if I need something specific done "make rifle safe vertical" because the shooter will be moving down range, "carry rifle to horse" again because shooter and TO/Spotters will be down range. Telling shooters to "make safe" and "holster revolver" is redundant and un necessary information.

I try to keep stage instructions as brief and simple as possible

It is amazing if you do not specify what to do with a firearm after firing it, the number of people on the posse that will ask "what are you supposed to do with your gun after you shoot it?"

Or where to start. Or what target to start on. Hell, even when you don't give a starting position, they will ask "where are your hands?"

Or where to start. Or what target to start on. Hell, even when you don't give a starting position, they will ask "where are your hands?"

that just shows everyone who knows and who doesn't know the stage conventions rules.

We still have seasoned shooters that do not know or obey the standup straight part of the default position.

that just shows everyone who knows and who doesn't know the stage conventions rules.

We still have seasoned shooters that do not know or obey the standup straight part of the default position.

I actually give folks the benefit of a doubt on that one. Shooters are trying to remember so much stuff before a stage and we're given a specific starting position so often that when one isn't given I think it's okay to ask for a memory jogger just to be safe. "Was there a starting position?" " Nope, just stand up with your hands at your sides and tell me when you're ready"

I actually give folks the benefit of a doubt on that one. Shooters are trying to remember so much stuff before a stage and we're given a specific starting position so often that when one isn't given I think it's okay to ask for a memory jogger just to be safe. "Was there a starting position?" " Nope, just stand up with your hands at your sides and tell me when you're ready"

I understand where you're coming from. But when the same person asks every stage because they're not paying attention during the reading, it gets old.

LOL! Funny you should mention that. Last week, a local club's MD called and asked me to come to his club's monthly match to explain the following.

Here's the Stage Convention, SHB, item 9, p. 23: "9. If no starting position is given, the shooter shall stand upright with revolvers holstered and hands at the side, not touching any firearm."

Here's the Clarification from the EOT TG Meeting: "Standing upright: If shooter is to start with hands on hat or other stance, they must remain standing upright until after the beep, unless stage instructions indicate otherwise."

I called the discussion Emily Post Takes on the Cavemen. I assure you none of those people will forget.

Larson, I saw a plethora of Cavemen at the Regional.

Boggus, I hope we can still be friends. I rarely remember a starting position or verbiage. Therefore, I love it when they are posted at the stage's potential starting positions. I try to pay attention. Really!

Boggus, I hope we can still be friends. I rarely remember a starting position or verbiage. Therefore, I love it when they are posted at the stage's potential starting positions. I try to pay attention. Really!

Sweetheart, you can do most anything but shoot me and I'll still be your friend! I like having them posted, as well. I shoot regularly with a guy who listens to half the stage and goes to the loading table. Comes to the line and rereads the stage and then asks what to do.

Archived