SASS Wire Forum

? for 38-40 shooters.

Pit Bull Tex

Does the brass bend easy?I have 104 38-40 cases that a cowboy gave me and maybe 25 or so are bent some.

...Well, exactly what do you mean by "bent"??? If it's just the case mouth, you can probably smooth out the wrinkles, etc., by taking a pair of ball-end "spreading" pliers around the inside of the mouth before running the case thru your sizing die. If the body is crushed, you probably have scrap value only.

FWIW, Doc

38WCF bend easily but with a little effort, can be worked and used with ease. I use bent brass all the time and even buy brass at Winter Range that has been stepped on and battered. I rarely have to toss it as scrap.

I put it in the class. ads.

If I have some that are questionable, I run it through the sizing die and then drop it in a revolver cylinder. It either works or it's scrap.

BS

Howdy

No pliers for me. A dummy 50 Cal BMG round is the tool I use to open up a squashed 44-40 case mouth. Have been doing it for years.

Insert the bullet end of the 50 BMG into the squashed case mouth, give the dummy round a quick twist, and the case mouth is round again. Should work for 38-40 too.

No point starting with a crumpled case, remove the squashed case mouth before you resize. Takes two seconds.

Years and years ago, I got a neat little tool to fix crushed case mouths.

Double-ended, tapered, works for large-mouthed cases and small.

Since I shoot a lot of 44-40, I have used it many times thru the years.

Use it to straighten enough to run thru the sizing die, which finishes the job.

Straightened a lot of stepped on cases, pitcher-mouth cases, etc.

Works for 38-40 too!

--Dawg

I have also been able to save .38-40 cases with crushed openings by reshaping with a pair of pliers. I can usually get several more loadings out of them.

I lose most of my .38WCF cases to small dimples that turn into splits. This is about 10-15 cases per year.

I just use a punch that will fit in the opening and roll it around the lip to get it to fit in the sizing die pronto good case unless the base of the case is dented again run through sizing die load fire form it back into shape

It bends when it ejects, fix it the rifle. Never use the resize die to unbend, use a small pr medium needle nose insert slowly into case mouth until almost OK then use resize die

or any round smooth shaft that tapers keep as part of your machine

Archived