SASS Wire Forum

Looking for a pair of .38 conversions

I am looking for a pair of 1851 (I think) .38 conversion pistols with 5" or less barrels. I think what I am looking for are "open tops" but not sure

of the terminology.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Yellowboy

Thanks for the input. They may be a bit too proud of their's for ole dad's pocket book. I am hoping some safe queens will surface here.

Yellowboy

"Open tops" are the cartridge revolvers manufactured by Colt in 1871-1872; essentially from the expiration of the White patent on breach loading cartridge revolvers until the introduction of the much improved Single Action Army model. The Open Top models were designed from scratch as a cartridge revolver and manufactured using all new parts. Prior to (and concurrent with) production of the Open Top models, Colt developed and implemented methods of converting revolvers that were originally cap and ball (black powder) to fire cartridges. Models converted include the 1851 Navy, 1860 Army and 1861 Navy among others. Among the 1860 Army models at one point Colt had more usable frames than they had usable barrels so they manufactured new barrels referred to as S-lug barrels which were specifically made for cartridge conversions meaning they have no provision for a loading lever that would be used for black powder. These cartridge conversions were extremely popular even long after the introduction of the SAA because most cowboys weren't exactly rich and a converted 1860 Army or 1851 Navy could be bought for half the price of a peacemaker while being equally deadly.

So, the point of all this is that usually the term "Open Top" refers to a specific Colt model made in 1871-1872. The 1851 you are looking for would be more accurately referred to as a "Cartridge Conversion". Having said that, some people do refer to any wedge revolver, from Walker to Open Top as an "Open Top" revolver simply because there is no top strap.

And there's your history lesson for the day.

Marshal TKD is a good pard to deal with.

A man of his word.

Fallon

I'll second that, bought a cart from him a couple years ago. It was better than he described.

I have a pair of Opentops 5.5 inch barrels, in 45 Schofield. if interested let me know.

I have a pair of 1851 open tops revolvers with both the black powder cylinders (.36) and conversion cylinders (.38) with 7 1/2" barrels for $800 plus shipping for the pair. If you are interested, let me know and I can send pics.

Yellowboy​,

Send me a PM with your email. I know of a 5 1/2" pair in 38 special new and unfired that are available. I have images and contact information from the dealer.

Tame Bill

Thanks for the replies, boys. For some reason I cannot sign in at home on the laptop so I am limited right now on responding. I will catch up soon.

Yellowboy

Marshal TKD,

Inbox must be full. "cannot received messages" is what I got. Call me at 843-636-1699.

Thanks,

Yellowboy

I have made a deal on a set. Thanks to all for the input.

Yellowboy

Archived