SASS Wire Forum

Before starting be sure to wear old clothes and rubber gloves to minimize the transfer of skunk to you.

How to “Deskunk” Your Dog

There are few smells as unpleasant as a dog that has been sprayed by a skunk. The following tips are to help give your nose (and your dog’s) some relief.

1. Check your dog’s eyes. Skunk spray is irritating and can cause your dog’s eyes to become
irritated. If you notice your dog’s eyes are red or watering, rinse then with some eyewash
solution (the type used for people is fine).

2. Wash your dog well (preferably before bringing him inside the house). The following Remedies have been used with success.

*Skunk Off – This is a product you can obtain from your veterinarian that works very well to remove the skunk odor.

*Massengill – For small to medium pets use two ounces of Massengill douche with one gallon of water. For large dogs, you’ll want to double the amount of water and Massengill. Pour the mixture over the dog until it is thoroughly soaked, wait 15 minutes and then rinse. Follow with a bath using the dog’s regular shampoo.

*Chemistry concoction – You can make your own deskunking formula by mixing ¼ cup of baking soda with 1 teaspoon of liquid soap in a quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide ( ask your pharmacist) . Work the solution into your dog’s coat well and then rinse.

Googled this using "skunk deodorants" but I think it is one I've used in the past.

1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide

1/4 cup baking soda

1 teaspoon liquid hand soap

Rinse with tap water after use. Keep out of eyes.

Stayed and worked in your fair city in the '70's. Hope you can find ingredients without making an out of town trip.

Don't see why he'd need to go out of town to get the ingredients.

3% hydrogen peroxide is the standard concentration in the brown bottle at the drugstore or Wally World or Big Lots or anywhere.

Y'all mean tomato juice don't work? :)

Spray bottel mixed with 50/50

Hydrogen Peroxide and Water .

Then a falf a cup off baking soda and a tablespoon of Dawn Dishsoap .

Shake it all up and spray away .

Works better then anything over the counter :-)

I've successfully used the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and dawn dishwashing detergent formula several times (once per dog; they figure out skunks after the first time). One thing to keep in mind with this formula is that once you mix the Hydrogen Peroxide and Banking Soda, a chemical reaction occurs. You MUST have it in an open container to vent off the gas. Once all the ingredients are mixed, you can apply it with a sponge, or put it in a spray bottle and spritz the dog with it. The hydrogen peroxide/baking soda creates an oxygenated cleaner that strips the smell from the dog. The detergent removes the yellowish oil from the skunk spray from the coat. Note that dark haired dogs will lose some color with this formula. You cannot keep the mixed chemical around. It loses its potency after about an hour.

I agree with the solution recipe. It worked for us:

1qt hydrogen peroxide , 3%, 1qt (drug store, walmart)

1 tsp dishwashing liquid (I used a bit more)

1/4 cup baking soda

This worked for my small dog, but you may want to double it for a large dog.

I mixed this stuff in a large, "big mouthed" juice bottle.

I poured the mixture into an old squirt bottle, not a spray bottle. Something like a detergent bottle. I decanted the detergent into something else and used that squirt bottle.

Flood your dog's eyes with flowing water for ten minutes before applying the solution and about 5 minutes after rinsing off the solution.

I cleaned out the dog's mouth with a minty mouthwash to get the skunk oil off the oral surfaces. Use an old worn-out tooth brush and a small piece of terry cloth. Toss all this stuff when done. When you're completely done, flood the dog's eyes again with a generic saline contact lens solution from Walmart. Use the whole bottle. Carefully....carefully clean the inside of the dog's ears wth cotton....tilt the dog so the fluid runs out, not down into the ears. This will be a bad experience for your dog and you may need a muzzle. Toss all the towels....don't try to wash them. Your clothes should be tossed, too.

Wear heavy household rubber gloves and toss them after use.

Apply the stuff the same way a stylist applies color, with your gloved hands. Get the dog's feet, toes and genital areas, too, Leave the solution on for about five minutes and rinse off the dog well. Shampoo the dog immediately after the solution treatment and rinse. I did this in the yard and kept a chain collar and an old rope leash on the dog the whole time. Poor little thing. After she dried off, she was okay.

3% hydrogen peroxide is the standard concentration in the brown bottle at the drugstore or Wally World or Big Lots or anywhere.

Tomato juice doesn't break down the oils very well. What it does do is cover up the smell.

Per google, Dinosaur, CO. population was 319 in 2013. Haven't been there since the '70's but doubt they've got a Wally World or BIg Lots. If I'm wrong it won't be the first time.

Per google, Dinosaur, CO. population was 319 in 2013. Haven't been there since the '70's but doubt they've got a Wally World or BIg Lots. If I'm wrong it won't be the first time.

Well, as an alternative, I suppose you could give the dog a warm, soapy bath all pver and rinse well. Apply straight vinegar with a squirt bottle, drenching the dog all over, but getting in skin deep. Rinse well, then bathe again with warm, soapy water. Rinse/flood the dog's eyes and mouth for about ten minutes.

Before starting be sure to wear old clothes and rubber gloves to minimize the transfer of skunk to you.

How to “Deskunk” Your Dog

There are few smells as unpleasant as a dog that has been sprayed by a skunk. The following tips are to help give your nose (and your dog’s) some relief.

1. Check your dog’s eyes. Skunk spray is irritating and can cause your dog’s eyes to become

irritated. If you notice your dog’s eyes are red or watering, rinse then with some eyewash

solution (the type used for people is fine).

2. Wash your dog well (preferably before bringing him inside the house). The following Remedies have been used with success.

*Skunk Off – This is a product you can obtain from your veterinarian that works very well to remove the skunk odor.

*Massengill – For small to medium pets use two ounces of Massengill douche with one gallon of water. For large dogs, you’ll want to double the amount of water and Massengill. Pour the mixture over the dog until it is thoroughly soaked, wait 15 minutes and then rinse. Follow with a bath using the dog’s regular shampoo.

*Chemistry concoction – You can make your own deskunking formula by mixing ¼ cup of baking soda with 1 teaspoon of liquid soap in a quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide ( ask your pharmacist) . Work the solution into your dog’s coat well and then rinse.

This works!

I laugh about folks that say run down to ... Dinosaur is right between nowhere and nothing and I know all 326 folks there abouts. Thanks, sounds like the H2O2 is the way to go. Smells sort of like a vanila creme soda right now but still skunkie. Go through this about once a year with the rat terrier. Last year 3 out of 4 got hit.

I laugh about folks that say run down to ... Dinosaur is right between nowhere and nothing and I know all 326 folks there abouts. Thanks, sounds like the H2O2 is the way to go. Smells sort of like a vanila creme soda right now but still skunkie. Go through this about once a year with the rat terrier. Last year 3 out of 4 got hit.

Do the procedure as Cat described in his earlier post. Being OCD in washing is actually a good thing in this case. Miss one square centimeter and you dog will still smell of skunk. Pay special attention to their face, especially the ears and mouth. Your terrier is not going to like the ear and mouth cleaning but hopefully it will discourage a repeat performance.

Terriers have a short coat but you still have to work the solution all the way down to the skin.

To help keep the solution out of his/her eyes put a drop of mineral oil in each eye. It will not hurt the dog and will help keep the solution out of his/her eyes. If the solution does get into the eyes gently rinse it out with water.

After you rinse out the solution be sure to follow it up with shampoo., taking care to be just as through with the shampooing. After you finish rinsing and towel drying the dog put you nose near his/her fur and and inhale. If you still smell skunk even faintly you need to start over at step one.

Trust me you will be just a worn out as the dog if you do everything correctly.

I don't know about Western Skunks or Northern Skunks, but down south, one of the more common items used to rid yeownself and/or animals of a Southern skunk spray is TOMATO JUICE.

P.S. - you could just paint your dog black with a white stripe down its back for the next month. Its a good way to help keep the inlaws from coming over if they think you have a new pet.

..........Widder

My sister's large German shepard got "skunked" years ago and she used tomato juice to bath "Duke". It took several times but it did work! ;)

Tomato juice is NOT a good skunk deodorizer. The standard drug store 3% hydrogen peroxide mixture recipe (above) works best and straight food store strength vinegar works ok, too. Both superior to tomato juice. Works well on rug rats, too. Chain them up outside to perform the deodorizing ritual. -(:-)

Archived