SASS Wire Forum

RV's open up a whole new side of our sport!

We recently bough a 42' Fifth Wheel in anticipation of our next great adventure (moving north) but that adventure is not following the schedule we thought it would. Rather than stress out about things not working according to my plan (it is happening according to His plan, and that is never wrong), the family is counting the ways we get to enjoy the RV in the mean time.

One of those ways is being able to spend time at the range during big shoots. We've already signed up for the two closest big shoots (Ruckus in the Nations: the Oklahoma State Championship and Red Dirt Rampage, our Regional Championship. both are worthy of your time if you can get here!) and have been looking at shoots further out. Our only limitation is how much time our daughter can miss from school at this point. We shoot as a family, we travel as a family, we enjoy the RV as a family and are discovering all the cool places we can take it. We even plan on enjoying it in the winter time. While I understand how an RV can be a hobby al by itself, the wife and I feel it will be an excellent addition to our cowboy shooting gear as much as anything else.

I'm working on a setup to bring the reloading presses as well so we aren't limited to pre-assembled ammo. I am sure I am not the first one to do this.

Sure, we've taken it to the lake and plan on taking it to several national parks but the places we are looking forward to the most are ranges where we get to shoot CAS. Until it's time to tow it up during the Great Migration to Alaska, we will enjoy it thoroughly in a more modest capacity.

So, all your road warriors, what are some CAS/Shooting specific must-haves for your covered wagon? I'm currently trying to work out a good way to store/transport all these guns.

Could not agree more! Folks that aren't RVing at the weekend shoots are missing out on what I feel is 51% of the fun. My first year I was staying in hotel......That sucks! Moving guns back and forth but more importantly, missing all the fun at the camp out!

I bought a 20' Toy Hauler trailer so I can bring my motorcycle a day or two before the event and explore the local area. A toy hauler makes loading and unloading guns and gear a breeze. Wheel everything right up the ramp!

And having a shower at an event is easily worth the price of admission!

I have a whole web site I've set up with all the modifications I've done......A few are really nice to have at a shoot, like the compressor I installed to clean dust and water off guns.....

You can check it all out here....

http://www.rvbprecision.com

Lots and lots of gun stuff on the web site too.............

Once I retire...I'm going to "Tour the Circuit" like Capt Baylor.......I'll be setting up that desk I built in the rear of the trailer as a reloading station...Hopefully next year!

Could not agree more! Folks that aren't RVing at the weekend shoots are missing out on what I feel is 51% of the fun. My first year I was staying in hotel......That sucks! Moving guns back and forth but more importantly, missing all the fun at the camp out!

I bought a 20' Toy Hauler trailer so I can bring my motorcycle a day or two before the event and explore the local area. A toy hauler makes loading and unloading guns and gear a breeze. Wheel everything right up the ramp!

And having a shower at an event is easily worth the price of admission!

I have a whole web site I've set up with all the modifications I've done......A few are really nice to have at a shoot, like the compressor I installed to clean dust and water off guns.....

You can check it all out here....

http://www.rvbprecision.com

Lots and lots of gun stuff on the web site too.............

Once I retire...I'm going to "Tour the Circuit" like Capt Baylor.......I'll be setting up that desk I built in the rear of the trailer as a reloading station...Hopefully next year!

Serious credit to you for all those fantastic mods. I am going to be implementing a few of those!

First thing i did when I got the RV home was unscrew and remove the walls in the basement section. just about gave the wife a heart attack! (It's back together and I have a much better understanding of the electrical and HVAC. First thing I installed were ammeters for both legs of the 50A service.

I been studying on this very subject lately.....gonna go and get myself Nehi bellywasher and a bucket of popcorn....BRB.

Kajun

Me too!

Me three!

I'm giving tenting at a match this fall a chance. It'll be cheaper than a hotel fer sher. An RV has an appeal to it though.

Since most big shoots are located at least 20 minutes from any sort of motel, it sure is nice to be able to wander over to the camper and change clothes, take a nap, take a shower whenever the need arises. Besides, the party is just getting started after the shooting is done for the day. It sure is nice not having to worry about having to drive back to the motel.....after the party.

Lots of bigger matches around the southeast have electric and water hookups for RV's on the range. I wouldn't dive into buying an RV to save money because you won't. It sure is convenient and adds to the fun though.

We had a 27ft fifth wheel and took it to many shoots when we lived out west. The one thing I didn't see mentioned above was generator. We bought a pair of Honda quiet EU2000 and EU2000i companion generators. We put them in the bed of the truck and ran the cord to the trailer. They would power everything, including the air conditioner, just not all at once. The fridge was convertible so we ran it on propane and that took a load off the generators. That set up worked really well for us.

Use an search engine using the terms "dry camping" or "boondocking". There is lots of advice on RV forums of these topics. Camping on range without hook-ups is just dry camping. I did replace several of the incandescent, 12 V light bulbs in our trailer with LEDs so we could run lights after shutting down the generator with minimal drain on the 12 V battery.

Enjoy your trailer. They really do improve a match experience.

Remember the first state shoot i went to, drove the 7 hrs to get there, got in a couple of days early to help set up shoot, pitched my green eureka tent in the field that evening, woke up the next morning with a the tire of a motorhome about three feet from the tent, figured a green tent in a field wasnt agood setup for this sport, bought a yooper tee pee the next fall, nice being off the ground, (chalet camper)

I have a Honda 6500. It is huge and stays in the truck during annual match season. However, even bolted down someone tried to steal it at Home Depot. I would not recommend leaving two smaller generators unlocked and visible. Besides, you could use this big boy if you ever have a power outage at home. :)

Shop around. My trailer came with all LED lights. I have two 6 volt golf cart deep cycle batteries that will run the camper conservatively for about 2 days. One of the most important thing is the size of your holding tanks. The bigger, the better.

Like Allie we have a Honda 6500 generator. Big and heavy but wonderful. Can run the AC, microwave and hair dryer all at the same time. We also have a couple of the same little LED portable lights. They are great for walking around the campground at night and if you are a porta-potty type they light it up real nice at night and don't roll around or fall in.

We bought a 28' airstream 12 years ago to take to shoots. That is all we use it for. Easy to tow and really nice. Expensive, but still looks new and everything works perfect. I didn't want a DUI going back to the Hotel after an evening of socializing at the range. Best decision we made after joining SASS.

We have lived "off the grid" for 21+ years now and I can assure you that you can never have too big of a generator. We have plenty of solar but also: 1 30Kw diesel, 1 20Kw diesel, 1 15Kw diesel, 1 10Kw diesel, 1 5500Watt Honda, 1 2000Watt Honda, 1 2000Watt quiet Yamaha, and the 6500 Watt quiet Honda.

I know all about generators, batteries and inverters.

Archived