SASS Wire Forum

SASS Categories

Cypress Sam, SASS #10915

Thanks for the replies. In going through the Handbook, I find 34 "official" categories. But there are other categories applying age based requirements to the official ones and adding other age based requirements.

Some of the categories that seem not to be sanctioned are: Outlaw, Cattle Barron (75+), Grand Patron (80+), Plainsman, and various styles with age based requirements added (like Silver Senior Duelist or Senior Gunfighter).

I'm trying to find out if SASS has an "Official" list of these unofficial categories posted anywhere.

I have a copy of the Category List that Shamrock Sadie sent out announcing the available categories for the SE Regional Championships (Good job Sadie!). But I was hoping for an official SASS list.

Thanks for the replies. In going through the Handbook, I find 34 "official" categories. But there are other categories applying age based requirements to the official ones and adding other age based requirements.

Some of the categories that seem not to be sanctioned are: Outlaw, Cattle Barron (75+), Grand Patron (80+), Plainsman, and various styles with age based requirements added (like Silver Senior Duelist or Senior Gunfighter).

I'm trying to find out if SASS has an "Official" list of these unofficial categories posted anywhere.

No. These "unofficial" categories are sort of like being almost pregnant. Either something is a SASS category or it is not. Anything else is at the discretion of the match director.

Hi Sam,

You will not find a list, as those categories are at the specific MD's discretion.

You can look through the scores for various matches (especially State, Regional, Divisional, National, and World) to see what is popular in different areas.

Regards,

Allie Mo

What, if anything, am I missing from this list? These appear to be the only "official" categories. (not to hijack the thread, but I kinda need a complete list for a project!)

Buckaroo

Buckarette
Young Gun
Young Gun Girl
Cowboy
Cowgirl
Wrangler
Lady Wrangler
Fourty-Niner
Lady Fourty-Niner
Senior
Lady Senior
Senior Duelist
Lady Senior Duelist
Silver Senior
Lady Silver Senior
Elder Statesman
Grand Dame
Duelist
Lady Duelist
Gunfighter
Lady Gunfighter
Frontier Cartridge
Lady Frontier Cartridge
Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter
Lady Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter

Frontier Cartridge Duelist
Lady Frontier Cartridge Duelist
Frontiersman

Frontierswoman
Classic Cowboy
Classic Cowgirl
B-Western
Lady B-western

What, if anything, am I missing from this list? These appear to be the only "official" categories. (not to hijack the thread, but I kinda need a complete list for a project!)

Buckaroo

Buckarette

Young Gun

Young Gun Girl

Cowboy

Cowgirl

Wrangler

Lady Wrangler

Fourty-Niner

Lady Fourty-Niner

Senior

Lady Senior

Senior Duelist

Lady Senior Duelist

Silver Senior

Lady Silver Senior

Elder Statesman

Grand Dame

Duelist

Lady Duelist

Double Duelist

Lady Double Duelist

Gunfighter

Lady Gunfighter

Frontier Cartridge

Lady Frontier Cartridge

Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter

Lady Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter

Frontiersman

Frontierswoman

Classic Cowboy

Classic Cowgirl

B-Western

Lady B-western

Baptist :)

Kajun

At one of our local shoots here you can shoot any category you want. we've had Silver Senior Double Duelist, 49er Duelist, Old Fart Duelist (really) Double duelist, I was thinking of shooting "Rustler", it's my own category and no one else can sign up for it! My category, my rules! :P

At one of our local shoots here you can shoot any category you want. we've had Silver Senior Double Duelist, 49er Duelist, Old Fart Duelist (really) Double duelist, I was thinking of shooting "Rustler", it's my own category and no one else can sign up for it! My category, my rules! :P

I have my own category too. I call it the True Grit category. It's basically classic cowboy mixed with Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter. You get the costume requirements, the black powder, the 40 caliber and shotgun requirements, and have to shoot gunfighter. I think the only other tougher would be to require cap guns too. Hmm. I guess that would be my True Grit 2 category. Or is it Truer Grit?

What I find most interesting about this topic is the fact that a shooter can win a World Championship at EOT,

that is produced by SASS at FR, in a category that is not a "sanctioned SASS category" , example., Silver Senior Duelist. Yet, because that category is not a "sanctioned SASS category", ya' cannot shoot in it in WR, BT, etc. It's up to the MD to provide such a category or not because it's not "SASS sanctioned".You can be a SASS World Champion Silver Senior Duelist but can't be a SASS National Champion. Ain't that a little weird?? :huh:

Yep!!

A person can be World/National/Regional/State Champion with only three participants in that category. Same buckle, same status as any other Champion

Except you can't be a WR National Champion SS Duelist (& several other EOT categories) 'cause the category is not be allowed no matter how many shooters want to be in the category. Example, SS Duelist is NOT an acceptable category. Cut to the bone, we all as SASS members, pay for the awards at EOT cause that's where their funds come from. Most annual matches can't afford to buy awards for 38-45 categories. It seems that EOT can offer way more categories than most state, annual, regional, etc. matches because they "got the $$$". Who's actually paying for those big ol' globe trophies & buckles? Entry fees or SASS general budget? Good way to increase attendance but at whose cost? Maybe Misty can answer that best, huh? My really serious question is why does SASS offer SASS World Championship shooter categories at EOT that the organization does not sanction as "official"? categories? It seems not only weird but very inconsistent. None of those extra categories are noted in the SASS handbooks we're supposed to honor & adhere to.

Except you can't be a WR National Champion SS Duelist (& several other EOT categories) 'cause the category is not be allowed no matter how many shooters want to be in the category. Example, SS Duelist is NOT an acceptable category. Cut to the bone, we all as SASS members, pay for the awards at EOT cause that's where their funds come from. Most annual matches can't afford to buy awards for 38-45 categories. It seems that EOT can offer way more categories than most state, annual, regional, etc. matches because they "got the $$$". Who's actually paying for those big ol' globe trophies & buckles? Entry fees or SASS general budget? Good way to increase attendance but at whose cost? Maybe Misty can answer that best, huh? My really serious question is why does SASS offer SASS World Championship shooter categories at EOT that the organization does not sanction as "official"? categories? It seems not only weird but very inconsistent. None of those extra categories are noted in the SASS handbooks we're supposed to honor & adhere to.

I was going on the belief that 'if' the Match officials recognized a certain shooting style/age/class for that shoot, and there were enough shooters signed up for that class, then there was a 1st, 2nd, 3rd,,,,,, place winners with the 1st place person, that class champion.

As far as who pays for the award, door prizes, trinkets, give aways? The money comes from the entry fees, of course. Last minute created category awards creates a small increase in cost and is covered by the slush fund within the budget process. Just increase the entry fee for next years match,,,,, if needed.

I was going on the belief that 'if' the Match officials recognized a certain shooting style/age/class for that shoot, and there were enough shooters signed up for that class, then there was a 1st, 2nd, 3rd,,,,,, place winners with the 1st place person, that class champion.

As far as who pays for the award, door prizes, trinkets, give aways? The money comes from the entry fees, of course. Last minute created category awards creates a small increase in cost and is covered by the slush fund within the budget process. Just increase the entry fee for next years match,,,,, if needed.

Several assumptions here that for many matches are simply not true. First, how do you know the increased cost is "small?" Second, how many matches have a "slush" fund? Third, you cannot pay for this year's costs with next year's projected income. And, then there is the asumption that the shooters will willingly accept higher match fees.

Just goes back to the fact that every one is a winner ,

and every one goes home with a trophy or something.

Just like the kids playing sports today .

They all grow up thinking they are special ,

Because everyone gets a trophy.

When in reality 1/2 are special ED

and the other half need a foot broken off in there A$$ !

Its kinda out of hand !

Just saying :-)

Just goes back to the fact that every one is a winner ,

and every one goes home with a trophy or something.

Just like the kids playing sports today .

They all grow up thinking they are special ,

Because everyone gets a trophy.

When in reality 1/2 are special ED

and the other half need a foot broken off in there A$$ !

Its kinda out of hand !

Just saying :-)

So everyone at Winter Range and EOT goes home with a trophy? I didn't know that. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

My reason for asking this question was to try to determine what the official SASScategories and the SASS recognized unofficial categories really are.

My personal opinion is that there are too many categories now, particularly the age based categories broken down into five year increments! I just don't think it has meaning to be awarded a trophy when you're the only one in the category.

Several assumptions here that for many matches are simply not true.

First, how do you know the increased cost is "small?"

A minimum of three extra awards customary to that match isn't big dollars over the entire match budget. It may be only a few dimes per partisipant. A match has more to loose if those three shooters +/- their spouse because they don't get their way and do not attend.

Second, how many matches have a "slush" fund?

I've worked budgets for 25years, call it what you want, but a budget process has the mechanism to estimate what the organization thinks a particular line item will be,,,,, + a cost escalation percentage. If there is a known decline cost, then that is factored in too. The take home profit from the match is the immediate slush fund and if that doesn't work, then the savings account for the club, to cover an unknow expense. So, to answer your question every match shoot have a slush fund, emergency fund, a what if fund. Put whatever terminology you wish. I would think WR knows what attendance is needed for a break-even (budget wise) match at entry fee of $XXX.

Third, you cannot pay for this year's costs with next year's projected income.

When you sign a contract with shooting range rental, with award providers, tent rental places, you are committing next years earning today. Of course, you need financial security in the bank to cover next years cost.. But you are correct, you can not pay for 2016WR with 2017earnings.

And, then there is the asumption that the shooters will willingly accept higher match fees.

A consideration, but when you have a track record of sell out events, you could raise the fees to something. I recently heard of a club raising their monthly rates by 100%. Hmmmm, if they loose half the shooters, they break even. If they only loose 49%, the club makes more money than before. Go figure.

My reason for asking this question was to try to determine what the official SASScategories and the SASS recognized unofficial categories really are.

My personal opinion is that there are too many categories now, particularly the age based categories broken down into five year increments! I just don't think it has meaning to be awarded a trophy when you're the only one in the category.

there are a lot of folks that it means the world to them to have won/place something at an event. Bragging rights to their friends is priceless. I have heard it too many times with pure joy from the person,,"I buckled" at WR or EOT or BT or xyz State Championship. They also proudly place award buckle on their SG belt for all to see. Good for them. We are in the entertainment business.

Several assumptions here that for many matches are simply not true.

First, how do you know the increased cost is "small?"

A minimum of three extra awards customary to that match isn't big dollars over the entire match budget. It may be only a few dimes per partisipant. A match has more to loose if those three shooters +/- their spouse because they don't get their way and do not attend.

Second, how many matches have a "slush" fund?

I've worked budgets for 25years, call it what you want, but a budget process has the mechanism to estimate what the organization thinks a particular line item will be,,,,, + a cost escalation percentage. If there is a known decline cost, then that is factored in too. The take home profit from the match is the immediate slush fund and if that doesn't work, then the savings account for the club, to cover an unknow expense. So, to answer your question every match shoot have a slush fund, emergency fund, a what if fund. Put whatever terminology you wish. I would think WR knows what attendance is needed for a break-even (budget wise) match at entry fee of $XXX.

Third, you cannot pay for this year's costs with next year's projected income.

When you sign a contract with shooting range rental, with award providers, tent rental places, you are committing next years earning today. Of course, you need financial security in the bank to cover next years cost.. But you are correct, you can not pay for 2016WR with 2017earnings.

And, then there is the asumption that the shooters will willingly accept higher match fees.

A consideration, but when you have a track record of sell out events, you could raise the fees to something. I recently heard of a club raising their monthly rates by 100%. Hmmmm, if they loose half the shooters, they break even. If they only loose 49%, the club makes more money than before. Go figure.

I don't want to debate this as I know what match costs are and my comments weren't related to WR. I know what our costs are down to the penny. However, out of curiosity how many matches with 300 or more shooters have you run? The sentence I have re-marked in red is the worse kind of speculation on your part.

Archived