SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy 45 Special - Looking for brass or ammo

Chief Rick

Tried to contact American Cowboy Ammo (ACA) - haven't heard anything back.

Doesn't seem like their "Contact Us" link is working. I get an invalid address response when I submit a question.

Does anyone have good contact info for them or a line on a couple hundred pieces of C45S brass?

This is the one I used in Feb, I had another but can't find it

info@acammo.com

Thanks. I sent an e-mail to that address. Will see if I hear anything back tomorrow.

I gave up and started making my own.

About a $50 investment in a bushing used to cut .45 Colt brass to .92" and a Lee zip trimmer (.45 ACP trim guide and adjustable case holder).

This works well in all the brass that I have tried except PMC and CBC, which seem much thicker. I get about 2-3 cases per minute.

I shot at a local indoor range and was given a big freezer ziploc bag of .45 Colt and ACP brass for free.

The owners of American Ammo may be nice and mean well, but their website and responsiveness did not work for me.

Let me know I've got to order some more

Yep, post the results of your inquiry and what their prices are.

Will let y'all know one way or another after work tomorrow.

About a $50 investment in a bushing used to cut .45 Colt brass to .92" and a Lee zip trimmer (.45 ACP trim guide and adjustable case holder).

This works well in all the brass that I have tried except PMC and CBC, which seem much thicker. I get about 2-3 cases per minute.

I shot at a local indoor range and was given a big freezer ziploc bag of .45 Colt and ACP brass for free.

The owners of American Ammo may be nice and mean well, but their website and responsiveness did not work for me.

I may end up going this route, but I'd be using new Starline .45 Colt brass.

I have several zip-loc bags of .45 ACP range brass but .45 Colt has never been easy to come by.

My vote is for trimming down your own. The people trying to sell these aren't doing a good job of it. So...Lyman case trimmer with the power adapter. You can make a snot load of cases. I was doing this in about 20 secs a case in close weather. It goes slower in hot weather as the cutter overheats. I trim and then chamfer the trimmed case immediately. If you figure out how to trim your own...you're not beholden to whoever "owns" the .45 shorty this week.

I'm sure glad I bought 3000 from AJ before he sold the business. Use them in my NM Vaqueros only so no lost brass problems, probably have enough to last me till I get too damn old to shoot!!!

PMC and CBC are two headstamps that I cut out of my herd and scrap anyway, due to those two causing issues during reloading. I suggest you do the same.

I believe CBC is Brazilian and PMC is South Korean.

Received an e-mail:

250 pieces - $90 + $5.95 S&H = $95.95

500 pieces - $180 + $12.65 S&H = $192.65

1000 pieces - $335.00 + $12.65 S&H = $347.65

2000 pieces - $670 + $18.75 S&H = $688.75

Payment by cashier's check or money order only.

Make checks payable to American Cowboy Ammo, LLC

American Cowboy Ammo, LLC

12030 Bandera Road #108-K

Helotes, TX 78023

CBC(Companhia Brasileira de Cartuchos)[/size]=Magtect from Brazil.

PMC, http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes?page=headstampcodes#P

OLG

Interesting....

PMC use to have a huge plant in Henderson, Nevada. I took a tour of the plant in 2001 or 2002. It was really fascinating. They made their own brass in-house and watching the machinery in action was really fun. However, the plant has long since closed and the brass drawing machinery is long gone. Now it seems PMC is just a generic label and the brass and ammo are made in a variety of places.

20160816_121501_zps1jgno8d4.jpg

We recently traided into a pair of Vaquero 45 ACP. It was just a secondary idea that they chamber the C45S. They do.

The only major problem is that the C45S HAS to be loaded like a 45 ACP. The chambers are really tight. The ammo thar works fine in my 45 Colt guns would not chamber in the Ruger 45ACP. I ran them through a Lee Factory crimp die and most would.

I've swapped out some dies in my C45S setup and got things adjuted to make C45S ammo for the Ruger 45ACP. I'm trying some 160 grain bullets and working on light loads with Titegroup and BlackMZ.

The other minor inconvenience is the rim on the C45S tends to catch on the sharp edge on the recoil shield on ejection if the cylinder is not exactly aligned. If I keep the guns, I'll break this sharp edge.

I may end up going this route, but I'd be using new Starline .45 Colt brass.

I have several zip-loc bags of .45 ACP range brass but .45 Colt has never been easy to come by.

I have a bunch I don't need. PM me for Quantity and price.

Received a package today - 16 days from when I put the money order in the mail.

From Edgewater, FL - ZLS Ammo. Their web site does not show any virgin brass so it makes me wonder who's actually making it...

14222271_1385567124806711_70405197100816

14102599_1385567104806713_58898530292989

It's made by Starline with that custom headstamp, as specified by the original designer of the case. Adirondack Jack.

The contract for the brass specifies that only the case design owner has the right to order it from Starline; that's one reason Starline does not offer it for sale directly (as I understand it).

Good luck, GJ

It's made by Starline with that custom headstamp, as specified by the original designer of the case.

Good to know.

Was just curious - sent my money to AC Ammo in Texas and then had brass shipped from ZLS Ammo in FL. Neither company lists the brass for sale on their websites.

Archived