SASS Wire Forum

Spirit of the Game Experiences

wyliefoxEsquire

Hey all, I have been trying to find a topic close to my issue and this is the closest i found. I believe that thumb slipping is a unfair advantage since duelist can not do it ... thumb slippers are all over and being allowed to use their other hand when duelist can not. i dont see how that isnt a spirit of the game issue. now i know most will say just shoot that style or be quiet.. well what if you dont want to shoot that style? i dont see why u would have to shoot one style if you want to be competitive? to me it isnt how cowboys shot back in the day, from what i read, and if anyone did it was frowned upon. and if it isnt an unfair thing then why cant duelist do it? i shoot gunfighter and i love it and i dont see why i would have to change to the other style( cant think of the style right now, traditional?) to get a shot at the overall best time. i know gunfighter vs gunfighter and duelist vs duelist, but there is an overall score and it is always won by the thumb slippers.... i feel it is a spirit of the game foul since other styles cant use it, and at the very least it should be its own category or sub category. now i know gunfighter is faster then duelist but it is a far greater chance to miss and u have to really practice it, slipping i can do without practice( much) and i am accurate as well... i ( and other fighters) see it as a spirit foul and i dont know how others cant. i know all want to be as fast as they can but slipping is unfair. open it up to all or take it away,OR put in own category so on the final overall score sheet we can tell the true cowboy shooters are and the ones that slip. kind of like when the juicers make the baseball hall of fame we should put the mark by their name to show they juiced..... again i dont hold grudges( although it sounds like it) but as long as they can slip no one that doesnt will have a shot at the overall score. UNFAIR! again sorry if i sound like im angry. and i look forward to any and all responses, thanks

Sorry to go off topic Wylie!! Play your own game and don't worry about what the other shooters are doing. Me, I like to make smoke and noise because I ain't fast no more!!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wylie,

In all the years I've been playing this game I can only remember one time I wanted to give a spirit of the game. It was at a monthly match on our range and the shooter got angry over something that I can't even remember and blazed away with his rifle cussing the whole time. Karma caught up with him and he bent his short stroke in his rifle and that was it for him until he could get his rifle fixed. I figured that was penalty enough for him for the day and it never happened again. This was someone that I hold in high regard and he just had a real bad day.

JA

Is there an accepted thing to do when you mess up a shooting sequence? I have read through this thread a couple of times and the answers vary.

I'm a shooter returning to CAS after a several year layoff. I am pretty likely to mess up a sequence or two in the coming months :) So it sounds like dumping the remaining rounds on one target could possibly bring a SOG penalty with some TO's. So what should a shooter do when you just realized........oops......I did that wrong.......?

No real accepted way to act other than to finish the best you can. While some may say its hard to judge intent, if a stage calls for a 10 round Nevada sweep and after the shooter double taps the first target then dumps the remaining 8 rounds on the second target. That's not hard to judge.

Is there an accepted thing to do when you mess up a shooting sequence? I have read through this thread a couple of times and the answers vary.

I'm a shooter returning to CAS after a several year layoff. I am pretty likely to mess up a sequence or two in the coming months :) So it sounds like dumping the remaining rounds on one target could possibly bring a SOG penalty with some TO's. So what should a shooter do when you just realized........oops......I did that wrong.......?

I've yet to see an SOG penalty at any of the ranges I shoot, and since they're the same as the ones you will be shooting, there's really nothing to worry about. For me, shooting gunfighter, if I get a P, I'll usually just try to finish the string the way it was written if I can, or I will do some kind of double tap sweep that keeps me from getting confused on the round count. It doesn't happen often, but if I get confused, I figure it's better to deal with remembering the round count for safety reasons than to worry about hitting the right targets. I am pretty sure no one will accuse me of gaming it, especially with all the smoke I just made.

Hi SJS,

I hope our paths cross again!

About the only thing you can do and not risk a SOG P is to "muddle through" with something close to the scenario.

PWB mentioned a SOG at EOT. He's told that story many times to explain SOG. The shooter got a P, dumped, then admitted doing it to negate the effects of the P

Regards,

Allie

Allie,

I look forward to seeing you kind lady:)

I have had lots of experience at muddling through things so I should have it covered :)

SJS

I've had to just stop and say to TO - what is this sequence anyway? If he/she says double-tap sweep, I restart where I left off and do as best I can, double tapping what's left.

If TO isn't responsive, I just shoot a continuous Nevada sweep. If that's not enough target changes in what I'm shooting, then go ahead and SOG me. :P

Good luck, GJ

I try to follow the instructions as best I can. If I get so fouled up in my head that I don't know which way is up, I gust go to a Nevada sweep. I think juast dumping on 1 target (unless scenario calls for a dump) would warrant an SOG if it was done to make up the time for the P. Hard to judge intent, so if yo stay with Nevada sweep you will be OK.

No real accepted way to act other than to finish the best you can. While some may say its hard to judge intent, if a stage calls for a 10 round Nevada sweep and after the shooter double taps the first target then dumps the remaining 8 rounds on the second target. That's not hard to judge.

I've yet to see an SOG penalty at any of the ranges I shoot, and since they're the same as the ones you will be shooting, there's really nothing to worry about. For me, shooting gunfighter, if I get a P, I'll usually just try to finish the string the way it was written if I can, or I will do some kind of double tap sweep that keeps me from getting confused on the round count. It doesn't happen often, but if I get confused, I figure it's better to deal with remembering the round count for safety reasons than to worry about hitting the right targets. I am pretty sure no one will accuse me of gaming it, especially with all the smoke I just made.

Thanks for all the encouragement pards! I will heed your advice and default to a basic sweep when a train wreck happens :)

Archived