SASS Wire Forum

Spirit of the Game Experiences

wyliefoxEsquire

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tracker,

the spirit is an unfair advantage over another and slip hammering allows you to use two hands on one single action pistol. that is an unfair advantage over anyone who can only use one hand per pistol (aka duelist).

Using two hands to steady the pistol is also an advantage right? So what? Nobody is forcing you to shoot duelist or me gunfighter

tracker,

the spirit is an unfair advantage over another and slip hammering allows you to use two hands on one single action pistol. that is an unfair advantage over anyone who can only use one hand per pistol (aka duelist).

lets not forget about short stroke pistols and rifles, big bead front sights, and of course.....RUGERS (because everyone knows that Rugers are faster than all those other pistols).

..........Widder

no body is forcing me i know, but if you want to be competitive i dont want to be forced to have to shoot a style that i dont want to. example, two people are going to drag race. same cars, same motors, both stick shifts. only difference is one person has only one arm... there is no way a one armed person can shift faster then a person with two.. same with the single action pistol... two hands you can recock as soon as you pull the trigger, no way a person using only one hand can match that... and i have been to alot of shoots and at 5 different locations and all of them so far are one by the thumb slippers... now to another point widow maker made.... type of guns and how they are set up is fine. if you have the money why not..... im shooting against people with lever actions that only need a pinky to cock... mine has had action work done, but it is new and takes a hell of alot more effort then those old worn in models. that is what it is... money can fix that.. but thumb slipping isnt a money thing..... it is a flat out unfair advantage. and if it isnt then why cant duelest or the others do it?

tracker,

But - Isn't this the reason for "categories"?

I shoot with a duelist who slip-hammers. So don't tell me that it is an advantage for only the two handed shooter! I have been the match director for two state shoots where the overall winner was a duelist, and the other was a gunfighter. Stonecoldkane your statement that only two handed shooters can win the overall is absolutely false.

no body is forcing me i know, but if you want to be competitive i dont want to be forced to have to shoot a style that i dont want to. example, two people are going to drag race. same cars, same motors, both stick shifts. only difference is one person has only one arm... there is no way a one armed person can shift faster then a person with two.. same with the single action pistol... two hands you can recock as soon as you pull the trigger, no way a person using only one hand can match that... and i have been to alot of shoots and at 5 different locations and all of them so far are one by the thumb slippers... now to another point widow maker made.... type of guns and how they are set up is fine. if you have the money why not..... im shooting against people with lever actions that only need a pinky to cock... mine has had action work done, but it is new and takes a hell of alot more effort then those old worn in models. that is what it is... money can fix that.. but thumb slipping isnt a money thing..... it is a flat out unfair advantage. and if it isnt then why cant duelest or the others do it?

What is it that makes you think that a duelist or gunfighter can't slip hammer? What you really should do instead of complaining so much is start practicing more. The world record duelist run for 10 shots is 2.83 seconds from leather. How much faster than that are you with 2 hands? If you don't answer this question I will assume you are just a troll.

40 chevy, yes there are but there is also an overall as well. and smoke, anyone can find an exception to the rule, the blind pig can find an haycorn. but same person shooting slip hammer then shoot one handed, there is no way he can shoot faster with just one hand... no way.

and smoke, the directors over here( who also run the state) thought the slip was illegal, and thought there was no such category as double duelist, and thought gunfighter you had to alternate shots..... so not every one who runs things at a shoot knows all the rules and is not always right.

and smoke, the directors over here( who also run the state) thought the slip was illegal, and thought there was no such category as double duelist, and thought gunfighter you had to alternate shots..... so not every one who runs things at a shoot knows all the rules and is not always right.

Slip hammering is legal in all categories. Duelists and gunfighters a just have to do it one handed. There is no such category as double duelist. Gunfighters do not have to alternate. They can even shoot double duelist any time they want. A good shooter can run duelist very close to the speed of 2 handed and end up with better transitions because of it. There is nothing slow about that style.

Slip hammering is legal in all categories. Duelists and gunfighters a just have to do it one handed. There is no such category as double duelist. Gunfighters do not have to alternate. They can even shoot double duelist any time they want. A good shooter can run duelist very close to the speed of 2 handed and end up with better transitions because of it. There is nothing slow about that style.

+1

He sure sounds like a troll Smokestack. Does not know the categories, and will not answer simple questions. Sure can tell he has not played this game much, otherwise he would be well aware that many overall titles are won by single handed shooters and gunfighters.

are you guys not reading the book? page 13 under duelist, you can not touch the gun hand with your other hand.... thumb slipping is when you use your non gun hand to thumb the hammer back... so it is not legal, and you cant do it in gunfighter cause both hands have guns in them. and double duelist is a style and is also in the book page 14 top of the page. and track, i have answered everything thrown at me..

Your argument does not hold water as there are MANY times that the overall winner of a match is a duelist or a gunfighter. Just because you want to shoot one handed does not mean that everyone should. Also shooting two handed is an accepted style under the SASS rules. If you want to change that feel free to try, but you will have a very hard time getting the TG's or Wild Bunch to take you seriously.

You never have answered the question put to you of how fast you can run a 10 shot revolver string. The world record is 2.83, if you are faster how come you do not hold the record?

'thumb slipping' or more often referred to as 'slip hammering' is when the trigger finger continues to press the trigger while the hammer is being manipulated in a continuous motion. The hammer/sear connection never actually goes into a 'cocked' mode.

There is nothing in any rule that forbids a Duelist or Gunfighter from 'slip hammering' their pistols. The rule forbids that it can't be done with the 'off hand' but doesn't forbid doing it with the shooting hand.

There are numerous Duelist and a few GFer's that function their pistols with the 'slip hammer' process.

Personally, I don't. My pistols go into a full cock mode before each shot is fired. But if I ever want to slip hammer, I will because I can... legally.

Some of your fastest Traditional style shooters don't slip hammer. They cock their pistols with the off hand but don't actually slip hammer.

..........Widder

i never said i was fast, period. and that has no bearing here anyway. i got by what i have seen and what has been told to me by many others, i just put it out here to see what others have to say on it. i will be bringing it up at the next meeting, i would like to see it have its own category so people know who they are to better gauge their own progress. hard to feel good or bad when you look at the sheet and you think u did bad but reality u did well cause maybe the 15 people ahead of you. 12 were slippers... so only 3 single shooters beat you out that week... do you see what i am saying.. i dont see why anyone would be against putting slipping in its own category do you?

widow, thanks for the input, i ment when the other hand comes over and i know its not allowed but i see it being done all over. i have video and pics. 5 different clubs i have been to and all clubs and people who shot one handed with free hand coming over and thumbing back the trigger....

It is only in the age based categories where the two hand shooters and duelist shooters compete together. You will never get another category passed, there are too many already and we have trouble regulating theses. Overall top shooter means just that, the fastest shooter!

i never said i was fast, period. and that has no bearing here anyway. i got by what i have seen and what has been told to me by many others, i just put it out here to see what others have to say on it. i will be bringing it up at the next meeting, i would like to see it have its own category so people know who they are to better gauge their own progress. hard to feel good or bad when you look at the sheet and you think u did bad but reality u did well cause maybe the 15 people ahead of you. 12 were slippers... so only 3 single shooters beat you out that week... do you see what i am saying.. i dont see why anyone would be against putting slipping in its own category do you?

IMHO, you're kicking over a hornets nest that doesn't need to be kicked over because it's not even there. How many matches have you been to? I see by your SASS number that you're fairly new. Maybe you could ask some veteran shooters to explain the slip hammering concept to you. I shoot gunfighter and on occasion I've tried slip hammering, as you call it, and didn't feel safe doing it so I don't.

widow, thanks for the input, i ment when the other hand comes over and i know its not allowed but i see it being done all over. i have video and pics. 5 different clubs i have been to and all clubs and people who shot one handed with free hand coming over and thumbing back the trigger....

I don't think you can thumb back the trigger with the thumb, I've never seen it done. You can't shoot one handed if the other hand is involved, you just can't.

" people who shot one handed with free hand coming over and thumbing back the trigger...."

.People shooting in the way you have described in that sentence, cannot be shooting a duelist category. If they are in fact "duelists", then they are in need of remediation. Have you talked to the RO? Did he confirm their shooting category?

.As for a two-handed category, slip-hammering is an acceptable way to shoot. I know some folks that slip-hammer every shot. Some folks only do it on a dump, (although there's a risk of "walking" right off the target.)... and some that don't slip-hammer at all... cock and fire every shot. (That's pulling your hammer back with non-shooting hand, firing with gun hand) This last example is NOT slip-hammering. That's the two-handed part of two handed shooting. Actually having a gun in each hand is not a "two-handed" shooting style. That's Gunfighter.

The slip hammering part comes in when you hold the trigger down, pull back the hammer and let it go bang!... whether it's done by a two-handed style shooter, or Duelist or Gunfighter .shooter. *edit... that is not "fanning" which is prohibited.-- that's slip-hammering, which is legal and accepted.*

That is perfectly legal in SASS. That is the way all two hand shooters run their revolvers. No matter how much you do not approve of this, you will never get a rule passed to ban two hand shooters. Play the game for a while, travel to other clubs, see what this game is all about before you start trying to change it to suit your wants and needs.

tracker, im reading frontier category is two handed but thats black powder and be western says any legal shooting style but thats the glam category and no one shoots black powder in the clubs im in and shoots both hands... and the ones that shoot two handed arnt dressed fancy enough for b western people.. am i missing a category that lets you shoot two handed? both hands on one pistol

Archived