SASS Wire Forum

Correct Ammo Caliber for SASS

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

Howdy Again

Actually, when I made up that wooden block I drilled the holes so only a 45 would fit into the holes marked 45. The 44 holes are a teeny bit smaller. Sorry, don't remember what drill size I used, but I really have to try to jam a 45 into the holes marked 44. Of course a lot of time has gone by, as evidenced by the fact that some of the numbers have fallen off. Being wood, the holes have probably wallowed out a bit by now.

By the way, the reason there are 14 holes for the 44s is when I first started shooting in CAS, we were not always limited to ten rounds in our rifles. That only happened when everybody and their brother started shooting those darn short rifles that will only hold ten rounds.

Howdy Again

Actually, when I made up that wooden block I drilled the holes so only a 45 would fit into the holes marked 45. The 44 holes are a teeny bit smaller. Sorry, don't remember what drill size I used, but I really have to try to jam a 45 into the holes marked 44. Of course a lot of time has gone by, as evidenced by the fact that some of the numbers have fallen off. Being wood, the holes have probably wallowed out a bit by now.

By the way, the reason there are 14 holes for the 44s is when I first started shooting in CAS, we were not always limited to ten rounds in our rifles. That only happened when everybody and their brother started shooting those darn short rifles that will only hold ten rounds.

Hey newbie... 10 rounds for the rifle has been the standard for a VERY long time... far longer than you might believe. Only those gamers with long barrels would dream of introducing more rounds into a stage than a regular carbine could hold!

P,Sharp, E Keith , K Waters , G F Kirkland , H Simpson and the like all list the .38 special as

introduced in 1901 ...

"hell they were there"

Jabez Cowboy

P,Sharp, E Keith , K Waters , G F Kirkland , H Simpson and the like all list the .38 special as

introduced in 1901 ...

"hell they were there"

Jabez Cowboy

I'd say that Driftwood's source trumps any opinions to the contrary regarding the 1898/99 intro...especially given the existence of revolvers chambered for the round pre-1900.

(REF post #29)

^_^

Guess I'm partial to 38/357 caliber firearms, although I have many others. Recently counted 14 in that caliber.

RBK

I have sass guns in 45 c&b, 38 S&W, 38 spc, 357 mag, 38wcf, and 45 colt that's what is marked on the barrels plus 12 ga. I can run shorter ammo in the 45s and 38/357s.

Years ago I was shooting 38 Special in an original Winchester 92 that had been converted to .357. I thought it would be better to load my first batch of black powder in .357 cases just so I would know they were black powder and i found they would not chamber.

The much mentioned collection of collection of crud in the the chamber. A Lewis lead removal too got rid of the crud in the chamber. I started using 357 brass in all my .357 rifles for both smokeless and black. If you never plan to shoot .357 or clean the chamber well then 38 in a 357 will work fine if your rifle functions well with the shorter length round.

A couple of my rifles will not function with normal 38 special length ammo, but are ok if the bullets are set out so I could load that way or just use .357 brass. If you had to buy new brass .38 and .357 cost about the same. Some rifles group better with heavier bullets than what you might use in a pistol so having them in .357 cases make it easy to keep track of which you have.

Last thoughts. When you shoot a match of 60 rifle and 60 pistol you could have 60 short rounds of crud shot in the one rifle chamber. In your pistols, you could have only five rounds of possible crud in each cylinder chamber so in general terms that crud will build up 12 times faster in your rifle. If you go the 38 and .357 route or some other kind of one caliber for pistol and one for rifle or loads in the same caliber it is brain fart easy to keep them seperate if one is in brass cases and one in nickel cases

Archived