SASS Wire Forum

How many presses do you have?

Grizzly Dave

This is a question I was thinking to myself..... I started with an RCBS Jr. back in the 70s that I still have but don't use it. Then about four or five years ago I "upgraded" to an RCBS turret and thought I was in high heaven! Then about three months ago I finally stepped up to the big leagues and bought a 650 with the case feeder and thought why didn't I do this years ago.

So know I'm thinking one 650 isn't enough... I want another to keep large and small primers separate. Funny how quick my mindset changed! Thinking a single stage was just perfect to this.

But to answer Grizzleys question.... I have two setup at the moment. My 650 that I used for my pistols, .45 colt, 9mm, .45acp, and .44 mag since I shoot those the most. I still have my RCBS turret setup for two rifles I load for but don't shoot them much My M1 Garand and a Sharps 45/70. Oh and I also use the turret to load a few .380 pistol rounds at times just to plink with.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So many toys on the list and too little cash.

I am drooling over the thought of getting an SKB 200e so that would likely come before a new press.

The 650 has spoiled me and I think another for large primers is in my future at some point.

I can't see rebuilding the primer feed to switch to large so at the least I would buy another primer feed set up for large so I could just swap the whole assembly.

Think about hand priming for one primer type. Saves $$$$$$$

Yusta - I yusta hand prime when I loaded on my rock chucker, my arthritic hands can't handle it any more. See you at BaC.

Johnny, I was the same way, was happy with my single stage for quite a while until I started shooting cowboy more than once a month, so I made the big leap to a 650 and I'm glad I did.

For those with more than one 650, do you swap the case feeder between them or just pony up the extra cash up front and have a case feeder on each one?

two dillon 650s

one is set up for 38 cowboy loads

the other is for black powder and whatever cartridge I have components for.

2 single stage presses for loads and misc.

2 ponsness warren presses - for smokeless and black powder

1 Mec Sizemaster

At one time I was loading for 6, now I just set the presses up and lat the kids and guests load their own.

I still have to load for Auntie Emmy

Coffee

I have several presses that I use and I have a MEC 9000 that I would like to trade for a Dillon 650. My MEC is set up for use on an Automate but I can put the handle back on it easy enough. If anyone is interested in trading for a Dillon 650 please give me a shout. t.schultz5@roadrunner.com

Yusta - I yusta hand prime when I loaded on my rock chucker, my arthritic hands can't handle it any more. See you at BaC.

Have you looked at this ?

http://leeprecision.com/auto-bench-prime.html

And BAC - see ya there !

Four at present. Two Dillon 650's. One is set up for "large" primers and one is set up for "Small" primers. Each 650 has full bells and whistles. I have a Lee Classic for working All Brass 12Ga hulls and my old RCBS Rockchucker for small lots of odd rifle.

Coffinmaker

(2) Dillon 550, one for large primers and one for small primers.

MEC 600 for 12 Gauge

CB

Four all togather and I use them all :-)

one 650..i do 9 and 38 so only have small primer to deal with.

a single stage lee for misc work and rifle. Don't load a lot of rifle so it's not an issue.

a mec 600jr for shotgun..yet to use it.

A second press...550 probably. The lee turret might be a temptation. Depends on what quantity I'd be loading.

If it takes say, 10 min to change over the primers to lg from small and I can do 600+ an hour on my 650, and 10 min to change back..in an hour I'd still load 400 rounds. Not sure a 550 or turret would load that many in an hour all setuo to go.

The price and space on the bench for a second press is also a consideration.

A friend as a pair of automated 1050s...bought one new and got a deal used on another, a long long time ago. But he shoot 20k+ rounds a year. he can justify both of them!

I guess that means in our family. I may have missed some. 3 650s, 1 450 (older version of 550), 1 SDB, 1 500 (not 550), all Dillon, a MEC shotgun loader, maybe more I have forgotten. I get all my loading done with one 650 in Az but my son seems to use most of the rest for different calibers in Wa.

2 - 650s, one large and one small primer.

1 - MEC 650 for SG.

Just picked up a used 550 for odd calibers I decide to try.

BS

a single stage lee for misc work and rifle. Don't load a lot of rifle so it's not an issue.

A second press...550 probably. The lee turret might be a temptation. Depends on what quantity I'd be loading.

Good analysis, not real familiar with the lee but know several who have them. However if you are only reloading small primers and very rarely anything else I would make sure I had a complete large primer system for the 650 and change it out when needed. that would leave more money for bullets, powder, primers possibly that new pistol you really, really need :D etc..

If it takes say, 10 min to change over the primers to lg from small and I can do 600+ an hour on my 650, and 10 min to change back..in an hour I'd still load 400 rounds. Not sure a 550 or turret would load that many in an hour all setuo to go. Easy Peasy to reload 450 + in an hour with a weigh check and OAL check every 100 (once per primer tube)

Very important if space is not really available, fortunately SWMBO granted me the spare bedroom as a mancave..

A friend as a pair of automated 1050s...bought one new and got a deal used on another, a long long time ago. But he shoot 20k+ rounds a year. he can justify both of them!

Up till a couple years ago I was reloading and shooting 15-20 thousand per year using my 550's. Even one 1050 for that amount would have been a little overkill for me as far as cost, my 550's are paid for, plus I like reloading on them.. Usually only load a 1000 at a time once or twice a month cuz that's how many primers in a brick, bullets in a box (or two depending on mfg) and since I store bulk rounds in old coffee cans and they hold about 500 each makes for simple storage. Typical reload time about 3-31/2 hours including setup depending on my motivation. :)

I have 5.

2 x 550 - one large pistol, 1 x small pistol. I also reload all my hunting rifle and long range cowboy rifle on them.

1 x Sizemaster that no longer has a space on the bench

1 x Mec 9000G

1 x RCBS Rock chucker in the shed, have not used it in 20 years but would have no hesitation to use if need be.

Regards

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

1 550B Dillon

1 Lyman T Mag Turret Press

1 RCBS Rock Chucker

1 Lee Challenger Single stage

1 Lee Reloader Single Stage

1 Lee hand Press Single Stage

Approx. 35 Metallic Die Sets

4 MEC 9000E's w/ Automate (4 Gauges 12, 20, 28, & 410)

4 MEC Sizemasters (4 gauges)

1 MEC 600 JR Mark 5 (410)

RBK

2 Dillon 650's, one set for large primer and one for small primer (I'm lazy).

1 Square Deal B, my original cartridge reloader, still good.

Mec Grabbers in 12, 28 and 410.

All have the same base footprint. I built bases for each and use wing nuts to secure them to the bench for a rock solid foundation.

Lee Loadmaster for .44-40 Pale Rider Loads

2 Lee Pro 1000's for everything else

1 Lee single stage press

MEC Grabber 12 Ga.

Lee Load-All 12 ga.

RCBS Rock Chucker

Star Lube sizer

Lyman Lubrisizer

All these are mounted

1 Dillon Square Deal

3 Dillon 550B’s

3 RCBS Rockchucker’s

2 Pacific Multi-power’s

1 Ponsness Warren 800 12 ga

1 Pacific 360 12 ga

2 Lee 12 ga Loadall’s

These are just extra’s

2 RCBS Junior’s

1 ideal single stage

So I don’t have to change over so often.

The single stage press’s are used for center fire rifle and to worked up loads.

Three SDBs, Usually set up as one for .38spl cowboy loads, one for 9mm, and the third is set up for large primers, so it covers 45C, C45S and .44Mag.

One Rockchucker for all bottleneck rifle cartridges

On Lee LoadAll for the occasional 12ga. use.

All on quick change plates for the InLine Fabrication stand. Which, btw, is awesome.

Howdy

Yes, I have two separate presses set up for large and small pistol primers.

One Hornady Lock & Load AP for large pistol primers, another one for small pistol primers. A MEC Jr for 12 gauge Black Powder, and somewhere I still have a little Lyman Spartan single stage press for the rare times I load 45-70.

loading%20benches%20flt_zpsuu7uxana.jpg

Two 550's. One large primer, one small. Load 14 rifle and pistol rounds

Two MEC Sizemasters, one 12, one 20. A 28 coming soon.

Mec Jr x2 for different 12 ga loads

Lee Pro 1000 - 45 colt, 38, 32, 45acp and a spare

Lee turret for bottle neck rifle

Hornady single stage for load work up

Lee single stage for the lee bulge buster for my 45 acp rounds

The Lee's work very well for me, I load about 4k a year on one, and 3k on another.

Shootin Straigh

Starting to think about reloading more calibers, and thinking maybe a separate press for large primers would be nicer than changing out primer feed parts, or the whole primer system on my 650.

For those that have more than one press, what do you have, and why?

2 Dillon 550Bs -, one small primer, one for large.

RCBS RockChucker - for 12 ga brass, the .40-90BN for the Sharps (and just about anything else I can think I might load... .30-30, 7mmRM, .30-06, etc.)

RCBS Jr. - seldom used... to be a gift for my BIL soon. Was the press I started with, it was fine until I started cowboy shootin' and got the Sharps. (Replaced because the opening is too small for the .40-90BN).

Lyman "C" press - mounted on a piece of 1" plywood for taking to the range. C-clamped to the ShopMate it makes a great portable setup.

2 MEC 600Jrs - a 12ga and 20ga.

Ideal 45 Colt loading tool... just cause it's the way it USED to be done!

Lee Hand Press - for decapping.

Currently I have two Dillon 550s, a MEC 650jr, a RCBS Rcii, and one of the Lee hand presses somewhere. Now how many calibers can currently load? IIRC I've the 9mm, 38 S&W, 38 special, 357 Mag, 38-40, 44spc, 44 Mag, 45 scholdfield, 45 ACP, 45 colt, 38-55, 30-30, 30-06, 300 blkout, 308, 223/5.56, 12 ga plastic, 12 ga brass. I think that the calibers I use, still nee a couple of Dillon's conversion kits to do everything on the 550s but do have the rcbs Rcii.

How many calibers do you reload for? I mean have the equipment for not necessarily the components for. I might only be missing a couple of items to reload any of the above with either smokeless or bp.

So how a boy you how many presses do you have and what can you load on them with what you have.

Johnny, I was the same way, was happy with my single stage for quite a while until I started shooting cowboy more than once a month, so I made the big leap to a 650 and I'm glad I did.

For those with more than one 650, do you swap the case feeder between them or just pony up the extra cash up front and have a case feeder on each one?

Grizz it sounds like you love your 650, I have two that are fully outfitted, 1 small and 1 large, definitely is the way to go. You wont regret it.

650 comes setup for one caliber and includes lg and sm primer feeds. You'll want more tubes for either/both, and tool heads...and and and..it never ends...LOL
I've changed heads/calibers often (includiing the case feeder thing (gear? tray?).

I've had a primer ass'y off on a friends 650 but not changed over to know what needs changed. I know some folks that have extra powder measures if htey move between powders often.

Last night I shot 2 PPC matches..one with my 148HBWC and one with 158RNFP, both bullseye, the 158 are my cowboy loads and .3 grains more powder..they hit 2" or so higher (but right on for my vaqueros..hence the higher load) and were maybe a tad better (accurate/grouping) and a lot easier to load from a speed loader than the WC. Have to shoot more matches to determine how much better (or not).

Just interesting...I have 6 snubbie matches to shoot..will test both ammo's in it as it's pickier than the 6" 686.

I have 5.

2 x 550 - one large pistol, 1 x small pistol. I also reload all my hunting rifle and long range cowboy rifle on them.

1 x Sizemaster that no longer has a space on the bench

1 x Mec 9000G

1 x RCBS Rock chucker in the shed, have not used it in 20 years but would have no hesitation to use if need be.

Regards

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Good analysis, not real familiar with the lee but know several who have them. However if you are only reloading small primers and very rarely anything else I would make sure I had a complete large primer system for the 650 and change it out when needed. that would leave more money for bullets, powder, primers possibly that new pistol you really, really need :D etc..
If it takes say, 10 min to change over the primers to lg from small and I can do 600+ an hour on my 650, and 10 min to change back..in an hour I'd still load 400 rounds. Not sure a 550 or turret would load that many in an hour all setuo to go. Easy Peasy to reload 450 + in an hour with a weigh check and OAL check every 100 (once per primer tube)

Very important if space is not really available, fortunately SWMBO granted me the spare bedroom as a mancave..

Up till a couple years ago I was reloading and shooting 15-20 thousand per year using my 550's. Even one 1050 for that amount would have been a little overkill for me as far as cost, my 550's are paid for, plus I like reloading on them.. Usually only load a 1000 at a time once or twice a month cuz that's how many primers in a brick, bullets in a box (or two depending on mfg) and since I store bulk rounds in old coffee cans and they hold about 500 each makes for simple storage. Typical reload time about 3-31/2 hours including setup depending on my motivation. :)

Archived