SASS Wire Forum

2016 Sockeye Salmon report from Ballard Locks

My Salmon report on the Chittenden Locks fish ladder at Ballard, in Seattle.

This water way joins Lake Washington and the Cedar River to the salt water in

Puget sound. For those that are not familiar with Sockeye salmon, they migrate

from salt water to freshwater via a waterway AND A LAKE before heading up

river to spawn. The Lake Washington was at one time a true harvest of fish,

until Hershel the seal lion from California arrived. He brought his brothers and

sisters with him and now the water front is tall cotton for them.

Anyway, I digress. The State has an electronic counting device in the fish ladder

at the locks. It counts all of the fish that swim past. It does not count the fish that escape

through the locks themselves so it is not a true scientific count. But the state thinks it is.

This year the count from June 1, 2016 until July 31, 2016 was 58,515. Well above the

final count for the same period last year, of 33,426. But, sadly, both numbers fall far short

of the required 300,000+ fish for a fishing season for the Sports fishermen, commercial fishermen

and tribe fishermen in Lake Washington. However, it does nothing for fishing for them in the

Sound and we see lots of nets out there during this time period.

Is that where you and Wheelgun Willie took me and daughter Grizz? Neat place, glad I got to see it.

Yep, that very same one. Told my daughter that we needed to go back to Chinooks for some of

that good clam chowder and warm focaccia bread slathered with butter. Libations by.

Charlie, I had no idea you're from Seattle country. Been over fifty years since I was there, but remember Ivar's Acres of Clams very fondly, the Ballard locks. Green Lake, the floating bridge,U. of Washington, Spanaway, Fort Lewis, Olympia, Tacoma, and a bunch more.

Guess I'll have to treat you with more respect. Takes a real man to live with everything he owns either rusting or mildewing.

Charlie, I had no idea you're from Seattle country. Been over fifty years since I was there, but remember Ivar's Acres of Clams very fondly, the Ballard locks. Green Lake, the floating bridge,U. of Washington, Spanaway, Fort Lewis, Olympia, Tacoma, and a bunch more.

Guess I'll have to treat you with more respect. Takes a real man to live with everything he owns either rusting or mildewing.

Sir, I have a world class culture of mildew. My rust is world famous, and I grow some of the best marijuana around. :D

I am not your run of the mill hick, living in the woods. More closely related to a hick that lives in an urban environment.

I live virtually next door to the Fremont District in Seattle and know where to find a statue of Lenin at the drop of a hat.

You should sue Hershel the seal lion on the grounds that he and his kin are an invasive species.

He has a very good lawyer and Hershel works for the Federal Government. Not much chance of getting a favorable

settlement.

I'll HAVE YOU KNOW I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK.

I have trouble with blue herons cleaning all the fish from my pond. I complained to a Conservation Person. He raised an eyebrow and asked me "Have you tried to discourage them?"

Of course not. they're protected don't ya know.

The Crappie and Bluegills are plentiful and biting here in Eastern Iowa. Morgun's Guide Service ( specializing in trips for 3, 5, and 7 year old grandkids, and one 32 year old daughter) has chartered several successful outings this season. ^_^

Love catching bluegills on light gear. Scrappy little things.

I would not have believed that the WDFW could make the book of fishing rules

any more confusing and difficult to understand, but I had an opportunity to look

at them this week. The managed to do so with great success.

General rule of things, more rules and regulations and fewer fish and

fishing places.

General rule of things, more rules and regulations and fewer fish and

fishing places.

Somehow I think this does not balance out.

Archived