SASS Wire Forum

Quick question for BP shooters

Errol Plain

I leave my carrier in the rifle for routine cleaning and only disassemble the rifle maybe once a year for complete cleaning of the carrier, lifter, links, etc.

Flushing the carrier and carrier channel with a mix of Ballistol and water, or aerosol Ballistol and wiping off the accessible surfaces with paper towels and Q-tips is sufficient for me. I don't mind discoloration on the carrier itself. Keeping the carrier lubricated with a spritz of aerosol Ballistol every few stages keeps things smooth during the whole shooting season. Some folks like to run their guns dry and if it works for them, fine. I like mine kind of slushy!

If I wanted to remove discoloration from the carrier after it was removed from the rifle and cleaned, I would probably use Brasso.

WHEN I bother to clean mine, I use a dilution of Simple Green & water... use a nylon bristled brush, and, I've sanded mine down with some 600grit wet/dry to smooth it up. Seems to get me thru more stages now.

I leave my carrier in the rifle for routine cleaning and only disassemble the rifle maybe once a year for complete cleaning of the carrier, lifter, links, etc.

Flushing the carrier and carrier channel with a mix of Ballistol and water, or aerosol Ballistol and wiping off the accessible surfaces with paper towels.

This ;)

WHEN I bother to clean mine, I use a dilution of Simple Green & water... use a nylon bristled brush, and,

And this ;) . Flush with favorite water based cleaner, (I prefer Murphy's mix) wipe excess dry, and/or lube as normal. Breakdown a couple of times a year to make sure mag tube is in good shape. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

You shootin' 45 Colt E. P.? If so it needs more cleaning. When I had one I used Murphy mix. Doused it good cleaned with Q tips and oiled with Rem oil. If cleaning my 44 WCFs I do the same occasionally. The rifle I used yesterday hasn't had the carrier out in 2 seasons. It's a 44 WCF!

I am shooting 44-40. It has never given me a problem from a functional point of view. I just occasionally like to clean it up. Use Brasso and tumble it. Just wondering if I was missing something easier. Thanks Guys!

Spray it with Amsoil mp put it in a sack up sock when you take it out it will be clean or mine always was.

I pull mine out when I clean the rifle and throw it in with the fired brass, water and Vinegar. Rinse it off, dry it, lube it, put it back in.

And .... once in a while I throw it in the Dillon along with the brass.

When I take mine out, I use Never Dul wading. I polish it about every 3rd match! My '66 has an aluminum carrier, and it cleans up with just a wipe of either Hoppe's or Rem-Oil, then dry wipe it! The only lube I use is greese on the links, and side plate and a dab on lifter arm and springs! I like my carrier to shine, thus it has very little risistance in the frame anyway!

Umm, I DO shoot 44-40 and it still gets plenty dirty. I do not resize the brass but rather "fire form" it. I actually thought that was another benefit of shooting that cartridge, less crud in the action. But anyway, it is what it is.

If ya shoot a 44WCF, you might just never have to clean the brass block.

Ha!

Not Hardly!

Here is a photo of the carrier of my Henry. 44-40. It gets shot with nothing but Black Powder. Usually Schuetzen, which burns a little bit cleaner than Goex.

Does that carrier look like shiny and new? Yes, 44-40 does keep more fouling out of the action than a thicker walled cartridge such as 45 Colt. But some does get into the area of the bolt and carrier. I have been shooting this Henry for about ten years now, and other than when it was proofed in Italy, it has never had a round of Smokeless put through it. And no, I don't take it out and clean it, taking a Henry down is not as easy as taking a '73 down, the side plates are a real pain in the neck. So I can't remember the last time I took it apart. I clean it after every match, I just cleaned it yesterday. But I never take it apart unless I can help it.

But this all begs the question, why in the world would anybody care about the carrier on a Henry or '73 being shiny? Must be the same folks who care about their brass being shiny.

Henry%20Stained%20Carrier_zpsipuivswt.jp

Here is the carrier on my Uberti 1873. 44-40. Not quite as stained as the Henry carrier.

Uberti%201873%20Stained%20Carrier_zpsm1c

Just for the fun or it, here is the carrier on a Winchester 1873, made in 1882. This one is 38-40. Carrier isn't very stained because I have not shot it a whole lot yet.

WInchester%201873%201882%20Stained%20Car

Here is another 38-40 Winchester 1873. This one made in 1887. Looks like I need to shoot this one a whole lot more too.

WInchester%201873%201887%20Stained%20Car

"But this all begs the question, why in the world would anybody care about the carrier on a Henry or '73 being shiny? Must be the same folks who care about their brass being shiny."

Naw, my brass ain't shiny. For that matter, neither is my carrier. I just like to clean it up once in a while ; )

Ha!

Not Hardly!

Here is a photo of the carrier of my Henry. 44-40. It gets shot with nothing but Black Powder. Usually Schuetzen, which burns a little bit cleaner than Goex.

Does that carrier look like shiny and new? Yes, 44-40 does keep more fouling out of the action than a thicker walled cartridge such as 45 Colt. But some does get into the area of the bolt and carrier. I have been shooting this Henry for about ten years now, and other than when it was proofed in Italy, it has never had a round of Smokeless put through it. And no, I don't take it out and clean it, taking a Henry down is not as easy as taking a '73 down, the side plates are a real pain in the neck. So I can't remember the last time I took it apart. I clean it after every match, I just cleaned it yesterday. But I never take it apart unless I can help it.

But this all begs the question, why in the world would anybody care about the carrier on a Henry or '73 being shiny? Must be the same folks who care about their brass being shiny.

Henry%20Stained%20Carrier_zpsipuivswt.jp

Here is the carrier on my Uberti 1873. 44-40. Not quite as stained as the Henry carrier.

Uberti%201873%20Stained%20Carrier_zpsm1c

Just for the fun or it, here is the carrier on a Winchester 1873, made in 1882. This one is 38-40. Carrier isn't very stained because I have not shot it a whole lot yet.

WInchester%201873%201882%20Stained%20Car

Here is another 38-40 Winchester 1873. This one made in 1887. Looks like I need to shoot this one a whole lot more too.

WInchester%201873%201887%20Stained%20Car

I know this is off topic, but that Uberti 73 of yours has one of the best looking case coloring I have ever seen on an Uberti. Maybe it's the camera angle, but that's some really nice deep blues there. Thanks for posting pics of the Winchester too. I have seen that one of yours from 87 before ( I also have one from 87 in the same caliber), but never the one from 82. They are both in much better shape than mine.

I know this is off topic, but that Uberti 73 of yours has one of the best looking case coloring I have ever seen on an Uberti. Maybe it's the camera angle, but that's some really nice deep blues there. Thanks for posting pics of the Winchester too. I have seen that one of yours from 87 before ( I also have one from 87 in the same caliber), but never the one from 82. They are both in much better shape than mine.

Howdy Again

I suspect it is the camera angle of the photo of the Uberti that made the 'case coloring' look so dark. Frankly, I have always thought it looked kind of blotchy.

fullstroke_zps0c9714fd.jpg

The Model 1873 Winchester from 1882 is a bit unusual. Even though the frame and buttstock are of the rifle configuration, the barrel and magazine are from a carbine and were added sometime later.

Model%201873%20carbine-rifle%201882_zpsr

Yeah I guess it was the camera angle. But I love that original 73. It looks really good for it's age, unlike many of us folks haha. Mine from 87 most likely had a barrel swap sometime in it's life. The Cody letter I have didn't specify barrel length, which I am told means it should be 24" and mine is only 20". Still worth it to be shooting something that old and quite possibly used by some real wild west cowboys.

I know that a couple of types of metal were frequently referred to as brass in the guns of the 1800s, when, in reality, some were alloys that more resembled bronze. I am guessing that these parts were limited to gun frames and other parts that needed more strength than brass provided. Early on I was told that if I allowed my brass parts to become discoloured, those brass framed clones would soon more resemble the original gun metal versions. I would think that if a fighting man or wilderness survivor lived for very many years he would have learned to avoid anything that brightly mirrored the sun or other light sources.

Archived