SASS Wire Forum

I got one! I finally got one!

Dorado

M1 Garand that is. I've been having a heck of a time trying to buy an M1 Garand. Everytime I find one it's at an auction and I get out bid. CMP ran out before I was able to buy the one I was wanting. BUT NOT TODAY! Well yesterday to be exact. My father went to a gun show and found a Springfield M1. It's in great shape, almost looks new. Very little pitting and the only rust I found is surface rust that can easily be cleaned off. It's in perfect working order and I can't wait to shoot it. I need to find the appropriate ammunition and a couple more enblocs but other than that I should be good to go.

Monday I'll be breaking it down for a thorough cleaning and maintenance before I take it out to shoot. The man I bought it off of cleaned all grease and oil off, I'll need to grease it properly. I've watched the Brownell's M1 maintenance videos, and I have instructions on how to break it down for cleaning. I'll be gentle on her but she'll be better for it.

On ammunition, is there any factory loads that are safe for the Garand? I don't have the dies and supplies to reload just yet.

Speaking of reloading, got any favorite loads for it? PM me.

I'll try to take pictures of her tomorrow and let y'all see her. She's beautiful!

Congregations I have owned a few over the years .

Great firearm.

Probably the best military rifle ever ( IMHO )

I am beyond excited to get this. It also nearly completes my WWII Infantry collection. All I lack now are some small fairly inexpensive items. But more importantly. I HAVE AN M1 GARAND!!!!! I can't wait to shoot it.

You ma7y find this locally... http://www.midwayusa.com/product/953112253/federal-american-eagle-ammunition-30-06-springfield-m1-garand-150-grain-full-metal-jacket

but for factory this is good. you can also order from CMP the Greek ammuntion.

You said the CMP was sold out. But are you CMP qualified? Member of an affiliated club?

If so, buy the ammo from them. Greek ammo, fully reloadable, comes in a spam can, on clips, in bandoliers.

>4C3006X216-192P: M2 BALL, .30-06, GREEK HXP (192 RDS PER SPAM CN)

M2 Ball, .30-06 Greek HXP (Pyrkal) manufacture. Packaged in 8 rd enbloc clips, 6 clips per bandoleer, 4 bandoleers per spam can. 192 in a spam can. Boxer primed, non- corrosive. Headstamp varies HXP62-HXP80. THIS AMMO ATTRACTS A MAGNET. Weight is 15 lbs per can. Free Shipping

Price: $115.00<

Privi Partizan makes Garand specific ammo very close to M2 ball specs. I use it if I'm short of reloads.

And CMP is not out of Garands. They ate getting caught up on back orders. I suspect they will be taking orders again in a month or so. You can get Greek surplus ammo from them that is fine.

I suggest you get a few books on the M1. Scott Duffs owners guide is great. Lots of info.

When was your Springfield made, and has the barrel been replaced,

You said the CMP was sold out. But are you CMP qualified? Member of an affiliated club?

If so, buy the ammo from them. Greek ammo, fully reloadable, comes in a spam can, on clips, in bandoliers.

M2 Ball, .30-06 Greek HXP (Pyrkal) manufacture. Packaged in 8 rd enbloc clips, 6 clips per bandoleer, 4 bandoleers per spam can. 192 in a spam can. Boxer primed, non- corrosive. Headstamp varies HXP62-HXP80. THIS AMMO ATTRACTS A MAGNET. Weight is 15 lbs per can. Free Shipping

I've never ordered from the CMP. I was a member of an affiliated club but they upped their dues past what I'm willing to spend for what little benefit I received. I only used their gun range. I stopped after their RO(?) complained that I was firing ricochets but what he was hearing was my brass whistling. He was petty and not someone I wanted to deal with.

How difficult is it to become CMP Qualified.

Privi Partizan makes Garand specific ammo very close to M2 ball specs. I use it if I'm short of reloads.

And CMP is not out of Garands. They ate getting caught up on back orders. I suspect they will be taking orders again in a month or so. You can get Greek surplus ammo from them that is fine.

I suggest you get a few books on the M1. Scott Duffs owners guide is great. Lots of info.

When was your Springfield made, and has the barrel been replaced,

From what I can tell it is all original. It's Post WWII. I think it was made sometime in the fifties. I'm not sure though.

Dorado

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/eligibility-requirements/

Gotta be old enough.

Legally able to own a gun.

US citizen. Send them a copy of your birth certificate. They'll return it.

Be a member of an affiliated club. I joined the Garand Collectors Association. Considered the 25 bucks as just an extra fee on the rifle.

Participate in a shooting activity. Used to was you had to compete in two CMP highpower matches. Now it's any type. They accepted SASS for me.

I've never ordered from the CMP. I was a member of an affiliated club but they upped their dues past what I'm willing to spend for what little benefit I received. I only used their gun range. I stopped after their RO(?) complained that I was firing ricochets but what he was hearing was my brass whistling. He was petty and not someone I wanted to deal with.

How difficult is it to become CMP Qualified.

From what I can tell it is all original. It's Post WWII. I think it was made sometime in the fifties. I'm not sure though.

Well, originalis up to interpretation. They describe Garands as "Correct" if the parts are all correct for that manufacturer and date. Most are not but you can make one correct if you want to spend the time and money. Not me.

Here's a site with serial numbers so you can tell when your receiver was born. many rifles are rebarreld. There is a date stamped on the barrel that you can see.

http://fulton-armory.com/faqs/m1g-faqs/tea/m1serial.htm

Dorado

Gotta be old enough.

Be a member of an affiliated club. I joined the Garand Collectors Association. Considered the 25 bucks as just an extra fee on the rifle.

Participate in a shooting activity. Used to was you had to compete in two CMP highpower matches. Now it's any type. They accepted SASS for me.

Garand Collector's assoc is an affiliated club. When you join they will let CMP know you are a member. They have a great quarterly magazine.

Dorado

Gotta be old enough.

Thanks for the link. From what I read a copy of my CCW qualifies me. I just joined the Garand Collectors Association as those dues would be worth it to me. Much cheaper than the local club here. I have a copy of my birth certificate so really except for the membership I'm good.

Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity:

You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

• Current or past military service.
  • Current or past law enforcement service
  • Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
  • Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
  • Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
  • Concealed Carry License.
  • Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training. - FFL or C&R license.
  • Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
  • Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. Complete the CMP Marksmanship Form to certify your range firing and the required marksmanship related activity for an individual to purchase from the CMP.

No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. Proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages. NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.

Well, originalis up to interpretation. They describe Garands as "Correct" if the parts are all correct for that manufacturer and date. Most are not but you can make one correct if you want to spend the time and money. Not me.

Here's a site with serial numbers so you can tell when your receiver was born. many rifles are rebarreld. There is a date stamped on the barrel that you can see.

http://fulton-armory.com/faqs/m1g-faqs/tea/m1serial.htm

I checked the numbers, mine are 5,82x,xxx so I'm guessing mid to late fifties. I don't know what to look for on the barrel. Then again, I'm not that concerned. If I was going to be particular I'd of gotten me a known WWII one. This one here is in great shape and so I'm happy.

Garand Collector's assoc is an affiliated club. When you join they will let CMP know you are a member. They have a great quarterly magazine.

I think the dues just may be worth it for the magazine if they are as informative as they say they are. I just joined and I'm looking forward to my membership packet.

Hey UB, do you have any good loads for the M1?

yfvAhF.jpg

I'll look for a couple of those.

I'm new at this having just acquired my Garand in April of this year.

Regarding the barrel mfrg date, retract the operating rod which will reveal several stampings. The group on the right will likely start with a single or double digit indicating a month, a space, then followed by a double digit which indicates the year. On my rifle it's "8 53xx", meaning it was made in August of 1953. My receiver falls in the 1952 range (see link below)

Keep in mind that Garands were built/rebuilt/re-arsenaled from existing stock parts, so it's hard to pinpoint its heritage. All I know is from a good pard and expert in Garands is that they kept improving them over time. Mine (and yours) might not be WWII vintage, but it might be a better shooter than one made in '43. Of course that depends on whether you consider your rifle an investment or something you can play with.

I like to play with my toys. Welcome to the club! :)

http://usriflecal30m1.com/ProductionGraph.aspx

What Alpo said. I've got about 500 rds of the greek stuff. Definitively worth going thru the CMP requirements.

Speaking of Garands,I was at a local toy store and was talking to the owner,He said he took in a garand collection and has about 20 in stock,including a brand new in box International Harvester with all the paperwork and accessories.If anyone is interested PM me and I'll give you his information.I have no dog in this hunt and am just passing on the info.

Speaking of Garands,I was at a local toy store and was talking to the owner,He said he took in a garand collection and has about 20 in stock,including a brand new in box International Harvester with all the paperwork and accessories.If anyone is interested PM me and I'll give you his information.I have no dog in this hunt and am just passing on the info.

Absolutely no such animal as a new in the box Garand. But IH rifles are very desirable.

since you are not a member of the CMP and I assume you want to shoot a lot try Hornady. nothing better in a garand, but get the cpm membership and buy their greek surplus. what other items do you need to complete your collection? maybe I can help. If you decide to branch out into the other makes of Garands I have a Winchester that I got from the CMP that has the grenade launcher sight disk in the stock, It comes with the grenade sight itself in a pouch as well as the grenade launcher that attaches to the barrel and the part that holds a pineapple grenade and a dummy pineapple grenade that I'd sell and ship for $1,010. I fired it and she is accurate but she is excess to my needs plus Ive got Wilson 1911 on the brain lately and want to raise funds. I assume it is legal to ship these items to your FFL.

since you are not a member of the CMP and I assume you want to shoot a lot try Hornady. nothing better in a garand, but get the cpm membership and buy their greek surplus. what other items do you need to complete your collection? maybe I can help. If you decide to branch out into the other makes of Garands I have a Winchester that I got from the CMP that has the grenade launcher sight disk in the stock, It comes with the grenade sight itself in a pouch as well as the grenade launcher that attaches to the barrel and the part that holds a pineapple grenade and a dummy pineapple grenade that I'd sell and ship for $1,010. I fired it and she is accurate but she is excess to my needs plus Ive got Wilson 1911 on the brain lately and want to raise funds. I assume it is legal to ship these items to your FFL.

Legal to ship direct to him if he has a C&R license. Good price.

I really wish I had known that Friday. I would have jumped at the chance. I can't afford another one for some time.

As far as what I'm looking for to complete the collection. I'd like to find 99th Inf Division shoulder patch, compass (I may have found one) and pouch, another GI issue wool blanket and/or sleeping bag, raincoat, 2nd pattern dark HBT's, and I'd like some field rations C, D, and K. Once I finish this I'll start putting together class A's. I also need a new grill for my WWII Willys Jeep.

how about a cartridge belt for that garand? I have one in good condition for $100 shipped. I can send pictures. I have one from WW1 as well

I've got an original 1943 that looks like it just came out of the factory. I have nearly all of web gear short the gasmask, compass, and map case. I used to have a WWI cartridge belt, I traded on a long shot of a WWII cartridge belt. I think I came out ahead.

I'm trying to put together an impression of the 99th division 393 inf regiment, as my father's uncle was in it during the Battle of the Bulge. I have many of his letters that he wrote home. He was a corporal if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks

Hey UB, do you have any good loads for the M1?

Sent you a PM.

One tip.....make sure the bolt is ALL the way to the rear and locked when you load a clip. ;)

Sent you a PM.

Thanks a lot!

One tip.....make sure the bolt is ALL the way to the rear and locked when you load a clip. ;)

Yeah, I figured that one out very quickly. She almost bit me! But I'm too fast for that! or lucky.

Thanks a lot!

Yeah, I figured that one out very quickly. She almost bit me! But I'm too fast for that! or lucky.

Lucky. Nobody is too fast. :D

I took her apart for a thorough cleaning and full lubrication. My hand slipped as I was taking the spring out of the gas tube. That thing's under a lot of pressure. It flew a good ways. Luckily it's too long and got hung before it could crawl into no man's land. I don't think the previous owner ever opened it up to clean it. It was filthy! I spent a good hour yesterday scrubbing and picking all the crud out of her. She's spotless now! A light application of gun grease and oil where needed and she's 10 times smoother now. Almost acts like she's had an action job. I'm waiting on my reloading supplies to arrive so that I can finally shoot her. I can't find factory loaded ammunition that's Garand compatible. That won't be a problem though once I'm loading. I can't wait.

Archived