SASS Wire Forum

Merwin-Hulbert

Dustin Checotah

Had one in 38 S&W and shot it twice. Then I measured the chamber wall thickness and found that it only had an average of .020 between chambers. I figured that shooting it much would eventually crack the chamber walls and turn it into junk so I sold it off to a guy that wanted to collect more than shoot. If I have learned anything I have learned that I am a shooter not a collector. I'd rather have two Vaquero's than one 2nd gen Colt. Now the gun is preserved for posterity and I bought guns I can SHOOT.

Had one in 38 S&W and shot it twice. Then I measured the chamber wall thickness and found that it only had an average of .020 between chambers. I figured that shooting it much would eventually crack the chamber walls and turn it into junk so I sold it off to a guy that wanted to collect more than shoot. If I have learned anything I have learned that I am a shooter not a collector. I'd rather have two Vaquero's than one 2nd gen Colt. Now the gun is preserved for posterity and I bought guns I can SHOOT.

Bugs

I didn't pay a bunch for this. And probably won't shoot it much anyway.

Dustin

I did shoot mine with factory loads with no problem and I didn't mean that you shouldn't have bought it. They are beautifully made guns and interesting mechanically. I simply know me and I was taking it to the range to show it off and shooting it. I figured I should let it go to someone that would enjoy it for what it is. I picked mine up at a little gunshow where there was a table full of top break S&W's plus the Merwin marked your choice $250. I asked if that included the Merwin and he said "Yes". I nearly broke my fingers getting mu wallet out before anybody else outdrew me. Mine wasn't nearly as nice as yours. Congratulations on a great buy.

I too am a shooter, and not a collector, but I'd rather have 2 2nd gen Colts than 4 vaqueros.

Broke down and bought a Merwin-Hulbert. Intrigued with the mechanics. It is only a .32 but it is a Merwin

IMG_0533_1.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

That's a beauty. I want one!

Archived