SASS Wire Forum

Once upon a time there was the....

...Revolving Rifle.

In my exhaustive search regarding which lever action rifle to choose for CAS, I learned a lot about the history of the development of the rifle itself. From Walter Hunt's "Rocket Ball" repeater and the Jennings rifle, both in 1849, to the Henry 1860 and ultimately the Winchester 1866 and 1873. (Too many others to mention).

In the middle of all this development was the 1855 Colt Repeating Rifle.

Colt%20Revolving%20Rifle%20II_zpspezxfhr

This rifle was the most widely produced revolving rifle with an estimated 4,435 manufactured between 1856-1864.

It was also the first repeating rifle to be adopted for service by the U.S. Military.

It's demise resulted from gunpowder leaks that would result in a "chain fire". The rifles which originally sold for $44 each were ultimately sold for $ .42. (If I had a time machine I would go back and buy them all)

Having read about this rifle and actually seeing it appear in a western movie is a different story.

When I watch a western now, I see them in a different light. Are they pulling the hammer back on their six-shooter before each shot or how many shots are they firing from their rifle and finding myself looking at the particular firearms that are being used.

Much to my surprise, as I was watching an unknown western called BARQUERO (1970) starring Lee Van Cleef and Warren Oates, a scene appeared in which one of the characters was shooting a revolving rifle.

Colt%20Revolving%20Rifle_zpsmfhqqn8w.jpg

Normally I would have missed this prior to my involvement in CAS, but there it was, a revolving rifle, either an 1855 Colt or an 1878 Remington.

(first appears in the movie at 35:20)

I have read that the Colt Repeating Rifle has appeared in numerous other, more famous movies, but wonderful to see it in the lesser known films.

According to Wikipeida, the 1855 Colt appeared in the following films:

In 3:10 to Yuma (2007) the Mexican sharpshooter Campos (Rio Alexander) carries a Colt Model 1855 fitted with a full length telescopic sight and converted to fire metallic cartridges.[10]

In The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly one of Angel Eyes's killers uses a Colt Model 1855 revolving rifle.

In the John Wayne movie El Dorado, actor Arthur Hunnicut's character, Bull Harris, carries a Model 1855 revolving carbine as his main weapon.[10]

In The Mask of Zorro, Captain Love carries an early revolving rifle. In the sequel, the Legend of Zorro, a cavalry captain carries one as well.

In the Quentin Tarantino film The Hateful Eight, the character John Ruth (played by Kurt Russell) carries a revolving rifle as his main weapon.

Love to watch those Westerns with my new insight.

Father Kit

I tried to send you a PM to invite you to the Orlando SASS match tomorrow but it said you couldn't receive messages. If you'd like to come and need anything, email me at gmann2@cfl.rr.com

Short sleeve shirt, hand forward of the cylinder gap like that shown in the photo. If the gun was actually shot this way the shooter would get one hell of a burn.

I got my off hand a little too close to the barrel/cylinder gap on an 1860 percussion revolver. I learn quick enough that it won't happen again.

Short sleeve shirt, hand forward of the cylinder gap like that shown in the photo. If the gun was actually shot this way the shooter would get one hell of a burn.

Women were tougher back then :P

Like said above not got for CAS. It will only hold have the rounds with the hammer down on a empty camber IIRC.the safety of having the hand forward of the cylinder is valid. IIRC mounted shooter tried it at one time so brass wouldn't end up in the arena and possibly cut a horses hoove. If your wanting something inexpensive try a 92 copy of the Winchester, if your wanting something unique try a Henry 1860 or spencer as they aren't seen that often.

The female with the revolving rifle is Marie Gomez. She was Jack Palance's partner in The Professionals. Not to be mistaken for Claudia Cardinale.

"Hey baby. Do you never say NO?" "NO"

Yup shooting a revolving rifle with 5 rounds charged on a 10 shot SASS rifle stage makes great sense. Further shooting a rifle that will burn the crap out of the shooters arm/hands/fingers if placed anywhere forward of about the middle of the cylinder will burn you badly makes even more sense. Tell me how you will support all that weight forward of your rear fingers/hands?

In "Lonesome Dove," the oldest Suggs brother, the leader of the band of traveling murderers, that Jake Spoon fell in with, carries and uses a revolving carbine.

The female with the revolving rifle is Marie Gomez. She was Jack Palance's partner in The Professionals. Not to be mistaken for Claudia Cardinale.

"Hey baby. Do you never say NO?" "NO"

http://hornsection.blogspot.com/2012/11/crush-thon-marie-gomez-of-barquero-1970.html

Better pix of Marie.

Archived