SASS Wire Forum

Obama Administration Releases Latest Executive Gun Control

John Boy

Gunsmiths & gun owners ... your not going to like this one:

The upshot is that DDTC is labeling commercial gunsmiths as “manufacturers” for performing relatively simple work such as threading a barrel or fabricating a small custom part for an older firearm. Under the AECA, “manufacturers” are required to register with DDTC at significant expense or risk onerous criminal penalties.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20160727/just-in-time-for-his-party-s-convention-obama-administration-releases-latest-executive-gun-control

And not a peep from any news organization, or any of the organizations opposed to gun control, or from Congress.

The NRA's article simply says we are to keep this in mind when we vote.

So much for Congress making our nation's laws.

I don't think that is a political statement since I did not discuss a political party; I was just recalling my public school Civics class about how the Constitution is supposed to work.

Pretty well covered over in Team SASS

I don't see any discussions or strategies for getting it reversed. Did I miss anything?

So far it looks there is no recourse.

Remember the EO on gun dealers where they said, contrary to law and established policies I might add, that selling even one gun at a gun show 'could' be engaging as a gun dealer? This is like that. I've read most of the applicable...whatever it is, it ain't a law thats for sure, and I'm just as hard pressed as anybody to see what this has to do with regular everyday gunsmiths. That they are overreaching and trying their best to drive out every dealer and gunsmith in the country so us regular folks simply can't GET any guns/ammo, that's obvious.

In response to questions from persons engaged in the business of gunsmithing, DDTC has found in specific cases that ITAR registration is required because the following activities meet the ordinary, contemporary, common meaning of “manufacturing” and, therefore, constitute “manufacturing” for ITAR purposes:

a) Use of any special tooling or equipment upgrading in order to improve the capability of assembled or repaired firearms;

I believe you understand the impact of this provision on non stock SASS firearms!

The Department of State is issuing new guidelines requiring many machine shops and gunsmiths nationwide to register with ITAR. The cost? $2,250 per year.

And shops that offer these services are going to really want to make sure their paperwork is in order, since the punishment for violating ITAR is steep

Remember the EO on gun dealers where they said, contrary to law and established policies I might add, that selling even one gun at a gun show 'could' be engaging as a gun dealer? This is like that. I've read most of the applicable...whatever it is, it ain't a law thats for sure, and I'm just as hard pressed as anybody to see what this has to do with regular everyday gunsmiths. That they are overreaching and trying their best to drive out every dealer and gunsmith in the country so us regular folks simply can't GET any guns/ammo, that's obvious.

I hope you're right! :)

Simply another case of taxation without representation that is so rampant in our upside down bureaucratic society. Taxing a small bussiness that can not afford to fight such a usurious tax is a real sneaky back door way to make gun ownership impossible without actually directly outlawing them.

I don't see any discussions or strategies for getting it reversed. Did I miss anything?

So far it looks there is no recourse.

Allegiance, Team SASS Deputy Director and member NRA Board of Directors, told us the NRA is currently developing and evaluating the right/ most effective strategy to fight this.

I have faith in Allegiance that he will have input to this and will keep us informed as he can.

We must all remember that we haven't had the strongest Republican Party fully behind ANY fight against Obama's actions for going on 8 years. That makes our fight that much harder...sad but true...but not impossible by a long shot!

Steel your nerve and soldier on...

Archived