SASS Wire Forum

out of battery discharge video

Cheyenne Culpepper 32827

Griz mentioned that he heard via facebook that the rifle was a 44-40. True or false? True.....per conversation with CC

The picture in post #76 shows a straight walled case and not a slightly bottle neck case of a 44-40. Look just a bit closer. Consider it was not fully chambered at the time of OBD

CC, do you have any 38-40 guns or ammo (rd #7)? No 38-40 rounds were present

If all the above conditions exist, could a loaded 38-40 (rd #7) be chambered into a 44-40 rifle and shot?

What is the case head stamp for the straight walled ruptured case?

If so, and 38-40 was a primer only squib (no smoke), the undersized bullet could go a long ways down the barrel, being undersized and all.

With the detonation of Rd #8, the slight Pneumatic compression of the air between stuck bullet #7 and bullet #8 could have been enough to complete the exiting of bullet #7.

Of course, if rifle wasn't a 44-40 nor ammo wasn't 38-40 then throw this out. Trying to conger up a theory of wrong ammo in wrong gun + throw in primer only squib.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tore the rifle down,,, I do have a spring on the firing pin after all,,, only thing I had to do was to whack the carrier twice with a small leather hammer and then run the sides over sandpaper. timing is correct,,,

was watched over!!

So, the firing pin was not stuck???

Do you have a picture of the primer end of the blown case??

What cal is this gun???

44-40, normal primer hit,, firing pin was not stuck and moves freely and I wasn't jarring it...

no 38-40s... it is a 44-40 case,,,

no 38-40s... it is a 44-40 case,,,

38-40 is a 44-40 case necked down to a nominal .401 bullet. It would easily chamber & extract in a 44-40 rifle.

Upon firing, the .401 bullet would rattle down the barrel, and possible even exit the barrel with just the power of a primer (7th Rd). If a squib load, the unburned powder (part of it) would be deposited in the chamber/barrel.

the eighth round (44-40) had troubles inserting with all the fouling in the chamber (just a theory) and when forced, OBD.

BUT, if CC never had any 38-40 cases in his (anytime/anyplace)ammo collection,, to be mixed up. The theory is good, but highly unlikely it happened.

Carry on

Looks like it may have been a hang fire to me. You hit the primer twice and the lever wasn't worked hard at the time of discharge.

the round hit twice was ejected,,, the new round was the obd

primers were all checked before hand,,

I cud have hit the trigger,,, I guess

Sure looks like you tripped the trigger with your thumb to me.

Archived