SASS Wire Forum

out of battery discharge video

Cheyenne Culpepper 32827

go to post 19 Grizz got it to work! thanks G

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

marauder has it

Get someone to put it up on Youtube pls. Many of us not on FB.

FB sez:

Sorry, this content isn't available right now

The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.

FB sez:

were you signed in to facebook?

it is also the message you get if you are not signed in...

I'm trying to upload to photobucket

were you signed in to facebook?

Yep. It's also the message given if you don't post it as "public".

I opened it to public,,

for some reason having trouble downloading to photobucket

Appreciate the posting Mr. Dave.

Video was frightening, but handled superbly by both the Shooter and Timer.

Always a lesson to be learned.

Grizzly:

Can you explain for us ranch hands what an "out of battery discharge" is?

1.) Non use of Energizer batteries;

2.) Failure to check battery for a full charge;

3.) Opposite of an Honorable Discharge;

4.) None of the above.

Great recovery don't think I would have finished in less than a minute

I would have been done - at least for that stage. I noticed he left the lever closed. Was it jammed up? Looked like he was wearing an action cam. Is there another video?

That is a great video for out of battery discharge....thanks for posting...Jim

Great video, you held it together very well and I'm glad no one was hurt.

So, according to some, an out of battery discharge will maim the shooter and anyone within a 500 yd. radius. This didn't appear to be the case. Was the rifle damaged? Did it split the cartridge case? Inquiring minds want to know.

Cholla

No other vid I asked same thing on facebook. Forgot to turn it on that stage.

Garth - out of battery means the bolt / action was not closed.

Grizzly:

Not quite sure what the exact process was that occurred resulting in the out of battery discharge.

I watched the video several times trying to run through the steps that lead up to the occurrence; however, not sure if I correctly understand what happened.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I saw was:

At the timer, the Shooter fired off six rounds, opening and closing the lever action and pulling the trigger; however, on the seventh shot, he did not open the lever, and instead pulled the hammer back, pulled the trigger (nothing happened), then tried to open the lever, to no avail, immediately tried opening the lever again, this time successfully and upon closing the lever action, the round went off.

Does this mean that the lever action pulled the next round and it wasn't fully set in the chamber when the hammer hit the round, causing the round to explode?

I'm just guessing that he squibbed on the 6th round and when he tried to force the seventh in the firing pin and fp extension went forward with enough force to detonate the primer. kR

PS many times on an obd you will not find any part of the case or bullet.

Just a speculation,

Rifle rounds 1-6 had proper amount of powder, bullet, primer and the rest.

A particle case separation of Rd #6 after firing, which cause the hard levering + part of the case still in chamber.

Shooter got the back half of Rd #6 to eject, after horsing lever but did not stop there because of hard levering.

While working action to get Rd #7 to chamber, the bullet (cartridge ) hit the obstruction in the chamber and did not fully chamber. Cartridge was part way in, part way out and with further levering to get the cartridge to chambered, something, (extended firing pin/extractor/whatever came in contact with primer and with continued attempt to lever the round in, set the primer off and thus, out of battery discharge.

However, CC did not say, one way or the other if that was the situation

There was a video on here a few years ago of a out of battery that a piece hit the cowboy on the ear.They also made a video of how to make it happen by drilling a hole in case and put a little rod through the hole so the case would not go in chamber and then bump the lever and the primer would fire.I tried to find the video but could not.I make cases up so I can show people how easy it is to have a out of battery discharge.

If you ever have a full load of BP in 45 Colt go OBD you probably won't want another.

Just a speculation,

Rifle rounds 1-6 had proper amount of powder, bullet, primer and the rest.

A particle case separation of Rd #6 after firing, which cause the hard levering + part of the case still in chamber.

Shooter got the back half of Rd #6 to eject, after horsing lever but did not stop there because of hard levering.

While working action to get Rd #7 to chamber, the bullet (cartridge ) hit the obstruction in the chamber and did not fully chamber. Cartridge was part way in, part way out and with further levering to get the cartridge to chambered, something, (extended firing pin/extractor/whatever came in contact with primer and with continued attempt to lever the round in, set the primer off and thus, out of battery discharge.

However, CC did not say, one way or the other if that was the situation

I'm guessing because he tried to fire a second time that it was not case separation. If a case separates you still get a discharge of the round. kR

Any impedance to the smooth and complete entry of the cartridge into the chamber under hard enough levering can cause this to happen. The momentum from the firing pin and extension will cause the firing pin to strike the primer with enough force to detonate it. The un-chambered portion of the case ruptures upward.

CR

I had a very minor OOB Saturday with my 66. about the 8th round in the string, I felt the lever pop against my knuckles pretty hard. I'm thinking I probably had the round 7/8ths od the way in the chamber, so no real damage done. TO did not even notice, but I felt it. No damage done.

Archived