SASS Wire Forum

Got my answers on red dot loads. Thanks to those responding !

Throckmorton,23149

shooting 200 grain cast in muh 45's, wondering about Red Dot. Ifn' a couple of ya could PM me your loads with this, I'd appreciate it.

I promise to check it against known data,I just don't own every book under the sun and stars.

thanks, Pards !

EDIT. i'll delete this post tomorrow.

I shoot 200's myself, and I'll send you a Heinz recipe that also makes power factor for Wild Bunch, and then a step down if you don't care for 850 FPS. It takes the powder level in that load to make it burn even somewhat clean.

Red Dot in .45 Colt cases will be sooty until you get up to middle or higher power section of the Single Action Army load ranges, by which point you would be close to making 1000 FPS from pistols!

But, it is accurate and pretty soft shooting.

Good luck, GJ

No offense but my mother had a cat named throckmorton. I'll have to research and see what red dot loads I shot in 45 if I did. I really like trail boss in the larger calibers and have used it since it came out. I will use it ( trail boss) in anything from 38 special and up so far I'll have to try it in my 38 S&W to see how it works but I just got the gun right before EOT and haven't shot up the two boxes I bought for EOT.

PM'd you chart of six 45Colt rifles and a favored load... I drop that a ½ grain for 200 grain bullets. The 225 listed in the chart is more accurate, but I tend to save them for BP loads, (as it carries a LOT more lube than the 200s).

DSCN0807.jpg

I mainly used red dot in 12 ga lites but bought it at the time because it could also be used in pistol. I had some wbas loads IIRC but those came from the wbas forum were loads are ok to be shared.

Archived