SASS Wire Forum

A little difficulty with the Post Office

They do it all the time.
The PO workers are very very VERY inconsistent in what they know or think they know and how they apply it.

I am a photographer and ship photos..there is a 'stiffness' test and a 'thickness' test. Too stiff and their automated machines won't process it so it has to go as a package. Same for thickness. thickness can be measure but stiffness is up to the person at teh counter.
Anotehr issues is the stamp 'do no bend' - MOST (and the official regs) say it means NOTHING - it's a direction to the mail carrier to not bend it as they stuff it in your mail box.
BUT some insist it means 'it's a package now'...which it is most certainly not.

The real hassle is I'll go to a PO to mail things and the delivery PO/mailman thinks differently and either changes the price/class (to package..postage due) or sends it back...

Currently I'm fighting with my mail carrier - she keeps leaving my mailbox open...my mail gets wet..i've found it on the ground outside the box...about 2 out of 6 days she does this. Went away for 5 days and had the mail stopped - postmaster went by and door stayed closed for 5 days...she delivers 5 days of mail..and leaves the door open!

I have to ship a revolver back to SW...no clue what I gotta do to make that happen.

Your so called 'postmaster' needs to read the current USPS shipping regs on firearms. He/she cant instill their on rules.

OLG

I was a Letter Carrier for 34 years. In that time, my experience was that most of the people who got into Management did so because they were lazy, did not want to work in the heat or for god awful 10 - 12 hours a day. Most of the people in Management never read any of the USPS Manuals, or any contracts and usually they made stuff up because that was what they thought the rules should be. So your comment about the "Postmaster" (if it was the Postmaster and not some poorly trained window clerk) rings true.

Mom takes a package to the PO in Spring, FL. PO weights it and tells her the cost of postage.

USPS delivers it to my PO marked "Postage Due".

Duncan, make them scale it right there and prove it is postage due. Duncan Disorderly, give S&W a call and have them send you a label for shipping, or take to local gun shop you do business at and have them ship it. A sad fact about the PO is that over the last 10 years or so, nearly half the employees have become non career employees, many of the management people have not even been at the PO for a year. In the Letter Carrier craft in mid to late 80's the PO hired huge numbers of Carriers and over the last 5 years or so many have begun to retire. Next time you see a Carrier look and see if they are in complete uniform. If not or if they look young and are wearing old uniforms (given to them by other Carriers) they are new hires less than 364 days on appointment.

I believe that as more and more anti-gun 'indoctrinees' become union employees of the USPS, these issues will increase even if the regulations do NOT change. They will do this in hopes that we will not challenge for fear of being labeled a 'gun nut'. I have run into this several times not only at the USPS but also UPS centers when shipping ammo. I have had to go in armed with print outs of UPS regulations and generally having the anti-gun person turn my service over to someone who is not biased. The anti-gun belief has been very apparent.

Watching the DNC show this week, it is clear that we are in a battle for all of our rights as citizens if we dare to believe differently than the party line.

Archived