SASS Wire Forum

Do you mark your brass?

I mark my brass, not to get my own back, but so I know what's in it.

Black = Black Powder

Green = APP

Red = Smokeless

Works for me

--Dawg

Dawg, why note the difference between real BP and APP? Isn't the clean up the same?

Like many others have mentioned, i use a black sharpie across the base of the shell to denote the use of BP (or APP or Pinnacle). Smokeless loads are left unmarked. Once a shell is loaded with BP or a BP substitute I will never again load it with smokeless. I'm not sure if that really makes a difference but it satisfies my mild OCD. :)

Angus

Dawg, why note the difference between real BP and APP? Isn't the clean up the same?

I can't speak for Dawg, but I like to know whether it's a sub (777 or APP for me) or BP. Yes, clean up is the same, but the subs produce different amounts of smoke, flame and sound compared to BP. I mark my brass with a sharpie like this:

Smokeless: no mark

Subs: one hash mark

BP: marked with an 'X'

I label the box with powder brand, granulation & bullet weight, and for smokeless I include the charge weight.

YMMV :)

Shot a 3 day match last year. A lady did almost all the brass pickup on our posse-as a non shooter. Shoot had a whole lot of props so Marlin shooters lost a lot of brass forward of the firing line. Brass picking forward of the firing line not allowed. As the posse arrived on each stage this lady was out in front of the props picking brass while folks set up and stage read and questions answered and would put all she found on the unloading table after the first shooter finished. As I was usually the first shooter of each stage by choice, I found if I sorted the brass laying on the unloading table, I could usually find 20-40 pieces of 38 brass including mine (plus a lot of other caliber brass). Some of the brass was marked and the marks came off easily in my brass cleaner at home. As each shooter came to the table they sorted through the pile of brass looking for their caliber also.

I don't mark my brass... but I seem to reload a few! :huh: Those you that do mark yours, and who get some that isn't... I'd sure appreciate having mine returned! :ph34r:

Howdy,

Totally sidestepping the why part of it......

I have had good luck using a paint marker from a local craft store.

They have lots of colors and the markers are a lot like writing with a pen.

Others were using black so I went with PINK.

Lost very few.

I don't do this very often....sidestepping the why.

Best

CR

I started marking my rifle brass years ago with a red straight mark across when Lacey started shooting...

That way she didn't have to think which bullets went in the rifles...

Rance ;)

Thinkin' it keeps things peaceful and simple..

I use the same in both rifle and pistol and until recently I would load bp in 38 spc since I used my 38 rifle with my c&b. Every caliber has its own use and load 45 colt and ACP were loaded for wb 38-40 for CAS. My modern loading is years behind now I usually spend my loading time for CAS.now I'm not sure if 38s will be bp in the future since I have bought two sets of revolvers that shoot it. 38-55 may be my only bp rounds until I get a 45-70.

I mark primers of cartridges loaded with BP or subs. This works pretty well since I may use that brass for smokeless loads later on.

I mark an X on brass that is deemed 'last use, pistol only'. This is useful for brass with small dimples or small splits.

I shoot mostly .45 cowboy special (or .45 Colt trimmed to cowboy special length), .32-20 and .38-40. Brass pickers know who shoots the odd stuff.

I went to a match where I was told to mark my rifle brass, as they pick after the stage.
I used blue Dykem, just like evrybody else.
Anyway, I got my pistol brass back.
:D

Archived