SASS Wire Forum

Loophole's Annual Safety Reminder

I'm taking up a cause.

For years, I have been involved in dozens of carbon monoxide (CO) cases. Most involve death; some involve brain damage and the resulting severe disabilities.

Another arrived in my office this week. Husband and wife, along with their 3 dogs - all dead from CO exposure in their own home. Poorly maintained furnace dumping exhaust gases into the basement.

Three smoke detectors in the house - but not a single CO detector.

Folks, CO is odorless and colorless; you can't tell it's there until you feel sick, and then most folks do not recognize the symptoms (headache, nausea, dizziness, vomiting and disorientation, followed by death) and mistake the early stages for flu. It is imperative, if you have a fuel burning appliance or a garage connected to your home, to install one or more CO detectors!!! Follow the manufacturer's installation and service instructions!!!! Change your back-up batteries every year (most detectors can be plugged into an outlet, with back-up batteries in case you lose power). And when they sound the alarm, GET OUT OF THE HOUSE!! Call the Fire Department from outside, and do not go back in until they have tested with detectors, ventilated the house, and remedied any problems.

And please, have your furnaces, boilers, water heaters, fireplaces and other fuel burning appliances and vents and chimneys cleaned and serviced regularly by a licensed service technician; the few dollars you save by using your brother-in-law the self-trained chimney sweep to clean your gas furnace is not worth your life.

I don't need your death on my desk.

Vaya con Dios!

LL

Thanks LL...a great message of safety for all of us. I lost two neighbors years ago in Colorado...tragic and preventable....Thanks Jim

Obviously all those lawyer jokes go out the window with a post like yours. Thank you very much for the warning.

I investigated far too many of these cases many from seniors forgetting to shut off the car parked in the garage. I wish the car companies would install a cut off switch for cars left idling in park for more than ten minutes it would save a lot of lives

Archived