SASS Wire Forum

MA AG Bans "Assault Rifles" by Proclamation

The Attorney General of Massachusetts has advised gun manufacturers and retailers that the so-called "MA Compliant" versions of the AR15 are "illegal copies" of the original, and banned from sale in MA. When MA continued to enforce the Clinton Gun Ban after Congress let it die on the national level, gun manufacturers began making "MA compliant" versions, which lack the distinguishing characteristics specifically contained within the original Federal legislation - most prominently flash arrestors, collapsible stocks, bayonet lugs, and magazines above 10 rounds. By definition, these modified versions are not assault rifles under the Federal act due to the absence of such features, and the MA law adopted the same definition by reference.

Now, the AG has announced, without legislative action, that she considers these guns to be illegal because they use the same basic action as the original AR15, and deleting the specific features listed does nothing to address "their killing power". This can be read as "I think I want to run for Governor, so I'll make up a story about assault rifles, ban the evil black guns, and become a hero to the ignorant masses of anti-gun urbanites".

Oh, and she has dropped an extra hint that she may move against current owners of such guns because they were "illegal when purchased".

It's pretty bad when you need to take our chief law enforcement officer to the woodshed to relearn what the Rule of Law means.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/07/20/mass-attorney-general-says-she-crack-down-assault-weapons/8xmuDyW6DR1tkt7mBNncRK/story.html

LL

Want your head to explode? Take a gander at the comments after the Boston Globe article linked to my original post.

So many folks so eager to force us to surrender our Constitutional rights; so many viewing this as a "first step"; in the minds of many, there can be no doubt that they want to grab them all.

Anybody have a spare room in a friendly state for a broken down old cowboy who wants to keep his guns? :wacko: I'm not going to sleep well for a couple of nights.

LL

Howdy,

just pack up and move to Pierre SD.

At the Dakotamart they sell a variety of rifles and 5.56 ammo up

to 500 in a box.

Caint keep dem p-dawgs waitin, pard.

Best

CR

Come to PA where the PA Constitution guarantees the CITIZEN the right to bear arms.

Article I, section 21 of the Pennsylvania State Constitution states: The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Come to PA where the PA Constitution guarantees the CITIZEN the right to bear arms.

Article I, section 21 of the Pennsylvania State Constitution states: The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

John:

I grew up in Bucks County; maybe it's time to go home....

LL

So, basically they are agreeing with what we have been saying all along. Pistol grips, bayonet lugs, flash supressors, folding stocks, don't mean squat. All firearms are dangerous in the wrong hands. Except they think all of us are "the wrong hands", and have no rights.

Apart from all the other issues, does the Attorney General in Mass have any kind of power to ban anything? Normally, it would have to be a Governor; not that a governor can't exceed his powers, but I never heard of an AG asserting such powers.

Maybe I read it wrong. Is the AG just expressing the opinion that they are illegal?

The PA, TX, or USA constitutions don't guarantee anything if we allow politicians and corrupt judges to take away our rights. If we want to keep them, we're probably going to have to fight for them one day. Maybe soon.

I'VE BEGUN TO WONDER WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF EVERY LAW ABIDING GUN OWNER IN ONE OF THESE ANTI- CONSTITUTIONAL STATES WERE TO JUST SUDDENLY PACK UP AND LEAVE EN MASSE!!

I MEAN LEAVE IN SUCH A CROWD AS TO CAUSE TRAFFIC JAMS LIKE WE'D ASSOCIATE WITH A MASS EVACUATION!!

WOULD THESE IDIOTS GET THE PICTURE THEN?? :rolleyes::o:unsure::angry::angry:

Apart from all the other issues, does the Attorney General in Mass have any kind of power to ban anything? Normally, it would have to be a Governor; not that a governor can't exceed his powers, but I never heard of an AG asserting such powers.

Maybe I read it wrong. Is the AG just expressing the opinion that they are illegal?

Our AG has the authority to promulgate regulations; that how we lost the right to buy many handguns (including Colts, Kimbers, XPs, Uberti cartridge revolvers, etc.) either because they could not pass the AG's "safety tests" or because the makers did not want to submit guns for testing and get wrapped up in the state bureaucracy. Here, however, she has not propounded new regulations - she has simply declared that the existing law bans any rifles that share parts with "assault rifles" as defined under the Clinton Gun Ban (which is still basically in force in MA). That is not what the existing law says; she is bending it to meet her own political agenda.

This is much more than her "opinion"; she has notified every gun dealer and manufacturer that it is ILLEGAL to sell such guns in MA. That's a threat of prosecution.

Loophole, do you expect any serious challenges to her actions...? :huh:

Geez, Hardpan...I certainly hope so. The NRA abandoned MA long ago, and I don't expect any real help from them. Our state association (GOAL) is fairly active, but its probably a financial decision for them. Heck, I'll contribute some pro bono time and effort to this fight.

LL

I'VE BEGUN TO WONDER WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF EVERY LAW ABIDING GUN OWNER IN ONE OF THESE ANTI- CONSTITUTIONAL STATES WERE TO JUST SUDDENLY PACK UP AND LEAVE EN MASSE!!

I MEAN LEAVE IN SUCH A CROWD AS TO CAUSE TRAFFIC JAMS LIKE WE'D ASSOCIATE WITH A MASS EVACUATION!!

Unfortunately, not financially feasible for most of us, and undesirable from the standpoint of leaving friends and family behind. I have a business that I cannot replicate out of state, an elderly father that I care for and who must stay in MA, and relatives galore here as well.

Grin and bear it, or stand and fight.

LL

John:

I grew up in Bucks County; maybe it's time to go home....

LL

Either Pa or Ohio!!

Gun owner is one thing.

Gun advocate is a completely different animal.

I am afraid,,,,No one would notice if all Gun advocates left the state.

JMHO

Our AG has the authority to promulgate regulations; that how we lost the right to buy many handguns (including Colts, Kimbers, XPs, Uberti cartridge revolvers, etc.) either because they could not pass the AG's "safety tests" or because the makers did not want to submit guns for testing and get wrapped up in the state bureaucracy. Here, however, she has not propounded new regulations - she has simply declared that the existing law bans any rifles that share parts with "assault rifles" as defined under the Clinton Gun Ban (which is still basically in force in MA). That is not what the existing law says; she is bending it to meet her own political agenda.

This is much more than her "opinion"; she has notified every gun dealer and manufacturer that it is ILLEGAL to sell such guns in MA. That's a threat of prosecution.

Geez, Hardpan...I certainly hope so. The NRA abandoned MA long ago, and I don't expect any real help from them. Our state association (GOAL) is fairly active, but its probably a financial decision for them. Heck, I'll contribute some pro bono time and effort to this fight.

LL

That's how I feel about the NRA in CA.

Well, we do have a little gun shop hereabouts.....named Smith & Wesson. :angry::angry::angry:

But for how long?

Looking into her letter, It looks like she could outlaw all mag fed semi auto's

"Healey said a weapon is considered to be a copy or duplicate if its internal operating system is essentially the same as those of a specifically-banned weapon"

Howdy Loophole

Goal has scheduled a rally on the state house steps for Saturday.

Here is the text of the message that was sent out to all Goal members a few days ago

Rally Against Rogue MA Attorney General

GOAL RALLY at MA State House - Front Steps - Saturday July 23, 2016 - 10:00 AM
Join us!
Rally against rogue actions by MA Attorney General Maura Healey, who decided to make hundreds of thousands of law-abiding gun owners "felons in waiting" via her sneak attack action posted this week while the legislature was away.

This Saturday, July 23rd the MA Legislature will be in a rare weekend special session to handle other matters - plan to be at the State House at 10:00 AM
Make your voice heard - Meet with your legislators - Protest the anti-freedom actions of Attorney General Healey.

Also, please note! CALL your legislator TODAY and urge them to join us against the rogue actions of AG Healey.
Hope to see you there.
Driftwood

Archived