SASS Wire Forum

The Magnificent Seven - New Trailer Released...

Dutch Wheeler

I am just going to say that for the first time in a long time, I am super excited to see a new Western. And I am always excited to see a new Western, but this looks incredible.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention, I watched the trailer without sound at my office and liked the action and the cast. I think it will be a better rendition then the Lone Ranger, and it kind of reminds me of the series that was CBS back in 1996. I will go.

Nimble Fingers

I'll go see it twice just to make sure I liked it the first time as much as I will. :)

Well, while I see the point of video games and rap music etc. At least they are making westerns again. We can't go and be our own worst enemy and trash movies they are putting out in the genre we like or guess what, they will stop making them again. The music and effects will hopefully at least get some who otherwise wouldn't watch a western to watch it, and then maybe get into older ones (thats what I did). One thing leads to another, and you have more people trying sass.

Now that I'm off my soap box, I can't wait for September haha, I will certainly be going to see that movie in a hurry.

I'll see it. Love me a good western. Even a semi-good western.

Well, while I see the point of video games and rap music etc. At least they are making westerns again. We can't go and be our own worst enemy and trash movies they are putting out in the genre we like or guess what, they will stop making them again. The music and effects will hopefully at least get some who otherwise wouldn't watch a western to watch it, and then maybe get into older ones (thats what I did). One thing leads to another, and you have more people trying sass.

Now that I'm off my soap box, I can't wait for September haha, I will certainly be going to see that movie in a hurry.

Well said. As has been said before, if we don't support the new westerns being made, there will be no new westerns being made.

Me? I'll take the worst western over anything in the "reality TV" genre.

The Quick and the Dead, Silverado, Legend of the Golden Gun, and..................

Slick, over the top, too pat, but should be fun to watch. Kinda like The Thornfield Rangers. Attitude change at the gate.

Well said. As has been said before, if we don't support the new westerns being made, there will be no new westerns being made.

Me? I'll take the worst western over anything in the "reality TV" genre.

Yep, that 'reality' crap is nothing but garbage tuned to the lowest common denominator.

Hey Dutch,

First and foremost.....How are you? Are you up and running now, or still convalescing?

Secondly, thanks for posting the trailer. I didn't know a new cowboy movie is coming out. YEE-HAW!

KCD

Looks great! The rap music and Denzel Washington may bring a whole new audience to westerns! Love the girl in it too! :wub:

I'll see it in the afternoon on the BIG screen! ;)

I watched the trailer and found it not too red hot. If it comes on Directv, I suppose I will try to watch it. However, from the trailer, it appears to be rather mindless and I may switch over to a news feed, instead.

They lost me at the rap music.

+1 They may entice a new audience with the music (I really doubt it), but they'll likely lose me as an audience, Minus the [c]rap music it looks good. I may see it if I feel like I'll be able to stomach the music to get thru it. I'll probably wait until it shows up on tv so I can mute it or change channels if it gets too intolerable.

Angus

I cant wait :-)

If Denzel Wasshington is in it , Its good !

+1 They may entice a new audience with the music (I really doubt it), but they'll likely lose me as an audience, Minus the [c]rap music it looks good. I may see it if I feel like I'll be able to stomach the music to get thru it. I'll probably wait until it shows up on tv so I can mute it or change channels if it gets too intolerable.

Angus

I imagine the music is for the trailer. Probably for the end credits as well. I can't imagine a whole rap song being played during the movie. At least that's how it usually goes.

I imagine the music is for the trailer. Probably for the end credits as well. I can't imagine a whole rap song being played during the movie. At least that's how it usually goes.

I'm betting you're right.

I got guy's in the gym who never heard or saw the original film , l gave them my copy and all I got was positive feedback . So now with a few changes and quality acting , I think this cowboy is in for a real treat.

Can't wait --

this is one that we'll take our club in dress to go see

Nice. That should raise a few eyebrows. Hopefully there will be folks that like the movie so much then ask you guys about the getup, thus reeling in a few new sass shooters.

Can't wait --

this is one that we'll take our club in dress to go see

Same here. A group from our club may get together to watch this one. Always fun to dress up and watch a western with friends. Then there is the after flick critique at the coffee shop. Almost as much fun.

The original, Kurasawa's 1954 film Seven Samurai is a classic. Set in 16th century Japan, a small village hires seven unemployed Samurai to protect them from bandits who have been preying on the village. Our beloved Magnificent Seven moves that story to the 19th century West but the story, and characters are virtually identical. Both movies are favorites of mine.

I think the new movie will be fun and intend to see it. I do note the mandatory diversity of the cast and expect the absolute over the top action that is characteristic of today's movies. I'm also sure there will be a certain amount of political correctness. I suspect the story will be changed quite a bit, but who knows? Again, I have high hopes of seeing and enjoying a new western. I guess my main thought is that I don't think it will be true to the original(s) and wish it had been released under a different title, remakes of classics usually pale in comparison to the originals.

Blaa!! :wacko: Even so I will go to see it just cause, I've been to all the others ($200 Movie card from Xmas helps) :D . IMHO they have yet to make a remake of anything that comes close to being as good as the original. Brad Pitt sure ain't no Glen Campbell :o:D Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

The original, Kurasawa's 1954 film Seven Samurai is a classic. Set in 16th century Japan, a small village hires seven unemployed Samurai to protect them from bandits who have been preying on the village. Our beloved Magnificent Seven moves that story to the 19th century West but the story, and characters are virtually identical. Both movies are favorites of mine.

I think the new movie will be fun and intend to see it. I do note the mandatory diversity of the cast and expect the absolute over the top action that is characteristic of today's movies. I'm also sure there will be a certain amount of political correctness. I suspect the story will be changed quite a bit, but who knows? Again, I have high hopes of seeing and enjoying a new western. I guess my main thought is that I don't think it will be true to the original(s) and wish it had been released under a different title, remakes of classics usually pale in comparison to the originals.

In my opinion, the original Magnificent Seven is nowhere near as good as Seven Samurai. Neither is Fist Full of Dollars as good as Yojimbo. So I guess I do agree with you about remakes.

As for the whole PC thing, PC isn't a new concept. It's just an evolving one. For example, in the 50's and 60's, it was PC to only have white guys playing in major roles. Even ethnic roles like silly Asian landlords or god forbid a cowboy playing Genghis Khan. If there were an actor of color, they had to be well known (think Ricardo Montalban), pretty light skinned, and could play any and every other ethnicity like a Mexican, Indian, and even a Samurai. As far as movies go, I think I prefer today's PC version. But that's just me.

The Caucasian guy who played "Victorio" in Hondo (1953?) was an Australian character actor named Michael Pate. He did a very good job. Later, he was a guest star in several western series episodes, often playing a very recognizable "Victorio" American Indian, usually in a "chief" role. But, he was in a huge number of TV series in various regular and guest roles, and in a lot of movies, too, up through the 1990's or so.

Archived