SASS Wire Forum

Primers!

Hoss

Was in the LGS this morning. On the shelf he had federal lg rifle & Small pistol match magnum. He asked what I was looking for, I told him Fed sm pistol. He asked " how many you want" my answer "how many you got"!

He had 9000, I took them all. Not trying to be a hoarder, but I was getting low,this will last me a while. I have 10K on backorder at Cabelas, if they come in I'll share with some Pards.

I'm keeping my eye open for Another 8lbs of Red dot, and a couple of pounds of unique, and I'll be set for a couple of years.

That was a very prudent purchase, IMHO, of course.

last primer I got was off a fellow sass shooter - he felt bad he had 80,000 of them.

my local supplier has as many as I want..last time I was there I said "how many you got " and he said "I just got half a million in yesterday"..yes, half of a million small pistol primers.

I was in 3 weeks ago to get some bullets and he had hundreds of pounds of powder all over the place - mostly 8# kegs, all the stuff I use and then a lot more other kinds.

I have about 10k primers and bullets..powder..plenty. For me anyway. I've been shooting mostly bullseye, 3gr or less a round from an 8lb keg..good for what, 18,000 rounds? 4-5 years easy.

I bought 1,000 Federal small rifle primers from a shooter that had thought she was buying small pistol. She was getting misfires in rifle and pistol until she figured it out. I'm using them up making loads for my 32-20 that I'm shooting in my old Marlin with flat hammer spring that's plenty strong.

I have nothing for or against Federal primers except how they are psckaged.

My FGS finally had my favorite Remington primers on the shelf, about 10K. Asked if there was a limit and after a pause I was told no.

I bought 2K, that will last me for a while. Figuring other cowpokes might some too.

We gave out 50,000 Winchester primers at Hell On Wheels for prizes in shooter gift bags. Figured shooters could actually use primers rather than stuff they really did not want or need. They are available from most distributors without any quantity limits.

How do you store your hord of primers? Our house is earth contact and that's good on energy saving but we do not have central heating and cooling. Thus the humidity varies from season to season and often it's high.

When I got back into shooting, I had some 20k of old stock primers thar I started using up. The Winchester large pistol primers were fine. But I got too many misfires with the small.

We don't heat or cool my "man cave". I have taken to storing new primers in the gun vault that has a heater to keep moisture down.

she shouldn't be allowed to reload if she can't read and verify components!

I've been told that federals are 'softer' and therefore more volitile hence a bigger box, for safety.

I bought 1,000 Federal small rifle primers from a shooter that had thought she was buying small pistol. She was getting misfires in rifle and pistol until she figured it out. I'm using them up making loads for my 32-20 that I'm shooting in my old Marlin with flat hammer spring that's plenty strong.

I have nothing for or against Federal primers except how they are psckaged.

How do you store your hord of primers? Our house is earth contact and that's good on energy saving but we do not have central heating and cooling. Thus the humidity varies from season to season and often it's high.

When I got back into shooting, I had some 20k of old stock primers thar I started using up. The Winchester large pistol primers were fine. But I got too many misfires with the small.

We don't heat or cool my "man cave". I have taken to storing new primers in the gun vault that has a heater to keep moisture down.

Dehumidifiers are relatively cheap and add comfort as well as being better for ammo storage. I store in a basement that runs high in humidity but with a de- unit every thing stays nice.

Dehumidifiers are relatively cheap and add comfort as well as being better for ammo storage. I store in a basement that runs high in humidity but with a de- unit every thing stays nice.

We ran a dehumidifier for a couple of years. It sucked the water out of the air but is basically a heater so we gave up using it. We have two small window air conditioning units we use from mid morning until after dark. We heat with firewood stove so the house stays dry in the winter months.

I acquired at an estate sale a box of Winchester large rifle primers marked "1976" in sharpie on the box. Thinking I may try a few next time I load 45-70 to see if they are still good.

At the same estate sale I got 3000 win 209 shotgun primers. Don't know how old they are, but so far they have all gone boom.

Assuming stored in climate controlled space, are primers good forever?

she shouldn't be allowed to reload if she can't read and verify components!

I've been told that federals are 'softer' and therefore more volitile hence a bigger box, for safety.

You've never made a mistake? Ever wonder why their packaging is all the same size from SP to 209s? Because they're saving money on packaging materials & labor. Even if it's $0.00001 per, they ain't givin' up that potential profit.

We ran a dehumidifier for a couple of years. It sucked the water out of the air but is basically a heater so we gave up using it. We have two small window air conditioning units we use from mid morning until after dark. We heat with firewood stove so the house stays dry in the winter months.

Ain't much more humid in MO than in No. TX, and I keep all my reloading supplies in the barn... (metal pole barn), in a defunct, non-working refrigerator that still has good door seals. Reloading room ain't air conditioned... but will admit to using a propane heater in the dead of winter. I'm still using up the stock of CCI mag rifle and pistol primers that I bought in CA 27 years ago. Ain't found a dud yet.

Update:

Loaded up 1/2 dozen primers only, popped them in the back yard. All popped. I reckon I'm going to load up a few and try them out. I ought not be so stubborn, they didn't cost me anything, and not that valuable, but I just can't bring myself to throw them out.

Duncan Disorderly .......... You were "told" softer and more Volatile sense a bigger box for safety?? And you "Believe" that?? Wanna

buy a Bridge?? Really nice big bridge with a great view of the ocean?? Your allowed to reload?? Sheesh.

Coffinmaker

Yes - it's about volitility and chain reactions. the concern is the box (cases) being impacted/crushed during shipping and handling. A softer primer will go off with less impact than a hard one. So the bigger box is needed so that the fed primers box can take the same impact as cci/win and not explode.

You've never made a mistake? Ever wonder why their packaging is all the same size from SP to 209s? Because they're saving money on packaging materials & labor. Even if it's $0.00001 per, they ain't givin' up that potential profit.

a mistake that can injur maim and perhaps kill?
It's nearly as bad as not reading the powder container and using say, TG in a measure that belongs to TB (titegroup/trailboss).

I've seen the results of using a pistol powder in a rifle...it is NOT pretty. Guy grabbed the wrong powder...READ and DOUBLE READ and CHECK AND DOUBLE CHECK.

If you can't do that then please don't play with things that explode!

Duncan Disorderly .......... You were "told" softer and more Volatile sense a bigger box for safety?? And you "Believe" that?? Wanna

buy a Bridge?? Really nice big bridge with a great view of the ocean?? Your allowed to reload?? Sheesh.

Coffinmaker

Primer boxes....

I saved the first 20 or 30, thinking, "there must be some use for these". But if there is, I haven't found it!

I don't care for the large size box the Federals come in, but its a minor nuisance.

The larger Federal primer boxes just take up a little more room in the trash can. No big deal.

I'd love to find a use for them. Maybe if I sent them back to Federal, they would refill them. :)

Yes - it's about volitility and chain reactions. the concern is the box (cases) being impacted/crushed during shipping and handling. A softer primer will go off with less impact than a hard one. So the bigger box is needed so that the fed primers box can take the same impact as cci/win and not explode.

a mistake that can injur maim and perhaps kill?

It's nearly as bad as not reading the powder container and using say, TG in a measure that belongs to TB (titegroup/trailboss).

I've seen the results of using a pistol powder in a rifle...it is NOT pretty. Guy grabbed the wrong powder...READ and DOUBLE READ and CHECK AND DOUBLE CHECK.

If you can't do that then please don't play with things that explode!

Perhaps asking Federal for the difference in their formulation in SP & SR primers is in order. And, while you're about it, ask them directly about their packaging. Mayhap they will verify their reasoning. I did... several years back. But, I'm sure your buddy knows whereof he speaks. Forgive me doubting him. However, I've read where there is no difference in formulations between SP & SR primer material... It's all about the size. But, I might be misremembering... it was a LONG time ago, might even have been a different supplier. At SASS load levels, I have to seriously doubt anything untoward would result from such a mixup. The "sky is fallin'" reaction, and stating as fact that one shouldn't be ALLOWED to reload is inflammatory at best. Maybe offering to act as a mentor would be more productive?

Very small ice cube trays.

One of very best responses I've read. :D:D

I've used SR primers in place of SP. The only problem I ran into was if there is the slightest bit of fouling in the primer hole the SR will not seat as deeply as I would like. They were not high enough to rub the recoil shield but I was uncomfortable with them sitting above the shell base.

I have also gone the other way and used LP instead of LR in rifle reloads.

4-5 years? How about 4-5 months!

Yeah, when I actually practiced 15-20 years back I'd go through 30K a year. Now I'm down to 5-10K annually. I get nervous when my primer supply gets below 50K. Everyone needs to buy in bulk and have several years worth of components on the shelf.

Perhaps asking Federal for the difference in their formulation in SP & SR primers is in order. And, while you're about it, ask them directly about their packaging. Mayhap they will verify their reasoning. I did... several years back. But, I'm sure your buddy knows whereof he speaks. Forgive me doubting him. However, I've read where there is no difference in formulations between SP & SR primer material... It's all about the size. But, I might be misremembering... it was a LONG time ago, might even have been a different supplier. At SASS load levels, I have to seriously doubt anything untoward would result from such a mixup. The "sky is fallin'" reaction, and stating as fact that one shouldn't be ALLOWED to reload is inflammatory at best. Maybe offering to act as a mentor would be more productive?

SP and SR are the same size in diameter and height. LP and LR are not. kR

Sorry, but if you can't use THE RIGHT COMPONENTS when reloading - according to the load data - then don't reload.

it's not something to be experimenting with.

But it's your hand, eyes and gun - so I guess you'll do as you please and not care about safety rules and common sense and such.
But when you gun blows up and injures the TO or someone nearby I'm hoping you got helluva good insurance.

It's NOT inflammatory to say 'read and use the right components' - and if you can't maybe reloading isn't for you.

There is a REASON you can't put loading data on here - because of perhaps a typo, mis reading, liability - but then maybe i"m just too cautious?

drop an empty gun is a stage DQ? Why? An empty gun, unless you drop it on your toe, is harmless. So why the rule? SAFETY!

Same for using and double checking your components when reloading.

And you talked to Federal about their primer packaging..so do tell us what they said?

...And you talked to Federal about their primer packaging..so do tell us what they said?

Many years ago... and what I took away from that conversation was that the consistency in package size, saved them untold DOLLARS on packaging. I didn't buy it until they explained, it was case packaging and uniformity of stacking and palletizing that gave them the most benefit. This was from a "purchasing guy", not an engineer or safety guy.

For my own storage needs, CCIs take up the least room, Winchesters and Remingtons next, and I might as well be stocking all 209s if I were to have Federals on the shelf.

If you're ever in NE Oklahoma, there's a place called Dong's in Tulsa. They usually have a lot of primers. I was in there earlier this year and they had 100,000 federal small pistol primers.

I have yet to find any fed. small pistol primers,100s or 200s.I did find two 5# jugs of trail boss while I was looking for primers.At a good price also and they let me have both jugs they had.

I found some Federal SPPs in my local Gander Mountain. $3.99 per 100. I'm also seeing some local shops selling Winchester SPPs for $42 per 1000. I may as well buy fully loaded ammunition.

Archived