SASS Wire Forum

Navy Arms Lightening Rifle

Fargo Bill, SASS #4942

Who made it? Larsen is quite correct.

It's a shame their only selling it in .357 and 45 Colt, 38/40 and 44/40 models would be nice.

Yep, that's hard to understand.

Not too hard.

Though the .38 and .44 WCF cartridges are authentic and very good rounds, there are very few of us that shoot them. Midway USA shows ammo only from Black Hills, Ultramax, Jamison, Tenex and Winchester. The Winchester loads only come in soft point jacketed bullets.

I shoot .32 and .38 WCF and always get every piece of brass back. The pickers know that only 3 or 4 out of forty cowboys will be shooting those rounds at the matches that I attend.

Not too hard.

Though the .38 and .44 WCF cartridges are authentic and very good rounds, there are very few of us that shoot them. Midway USA shows ammo only from Black Hills, Ultramax, Jamison, Tenex and Winchester. The Winchester loads only come in soft point jacketed bullets.

I shoot .32 and .38 WCF and always get every piece of brass back. The pickers know that only 3 or 4 out of forty cowboys will be shooting those rounds at the matches that I attend.

So you're shooting those in a lightning rifle? What's hard to understand is why the manufacturer (Pedersoli) doesn't make the Lightning anymore in the calibers that work better, i.e. 38-40 and 44-40.

Because they realize that it limits the already limited market...even more so?

yeah I guess you're right the .38 and .45s are flying off the shelves.

They aren't flying of the shelves like ARs and Glocks...be realistic. CAS is a limited market. Established people who take up shooting as a hobby or another shooting game. Not everyone can afford the buy in. $5k vs. $800...why make it harder to sell the rifle? Besides only a few people really understand the bottleneck suitability to this platform. It's not like they have functional issues vs. blowback issues in parentheses at the caliber selection tab.

Mine just came in earlier this week. It is a 20 inch 45 Colt. I've only put 10 rounds through it, but those went fast and fine. I will be doing a general "slick up" job on it before using it in a match. For sure, it looks nice - Turnbull metal finishing and really fine wood.

TR

Mine just came in earlier this week. It is a 20 inch 45 Colt. I've only put 10 rounds through it, but those went fast and fine. I will be doing a general "slick up" job on it before using it in a match. For sure, it looks nice - Turnbull metal finishing and really fine wood.

TR

A word of caution if you have not worked on a Pedersoli before. The internals are already nicely finished and if you overly "slick up" something and need to replace the part you are looking at months of waiting for replacement parts. On the .45 about the only thing that needs to be done is to remove the stock and look and see if there is a plastic wedge between the mainspring and tang. If there is, remove it and you have done about all the slicking needed. The wedge is not shown on the parts diagram yet it is in almost every Pedersoli I have looked at. All if does is increase spring pressure. Once removed everything will work better.

Roger Rapid has developed a very good handbook on Pedersoli Lightnings. If you don't have it scroll down to the "What's in store for you at the 2016 SASS Western Regional" thread and click on Roger's name. Send him a PM and ask for a copy of the handbook.

Hello LEP. Yep, I've worked on Pedersoli Lightnings before and, yes, I am familiar with Roger Rapid's handbook. Thanks for the heads up.on the plastic wedge. I've never seen that on a Ped Lightning I've worked on before. I have not had the stock off my Navy Arms gun yet, but I will be looking for that wedge. Thanks again.

TR

Archived