SASS Wire Forum

the other side of the protest no one talks about

Trigger Mike

I was traveling thru a large city the other day taking my family to the beach and the usual roads to the beach were blocked due to a black lives matter protest downtown near the more touristy part of the city. the part with the shops, the main road to the beach, the area with restaurants and theaters. large crowds were trying to get to the fun things they wanted to do but were hindered by the roads closed due to the protest and major police presence as well. blocking people from doing the normal activities they normally do does not help their cause. at the time i was frustrated trying to figure out how to get around it all and not get too far off course. its good for folks to voice their opinion etc, but lets find a more constructive and less obstructive way to do it. i can't see these protest marches doing anything they claim they hope to accomplish other than prevent justice.

it seems some of these folks think that if they inconvenience/harass/p*ssoff as many folks as possible, those folks will complain to the "authorities" and then the protesters will get what they want. I don't think it works that way too often. For me personally, it doesn't.

I believe they have every right to protest, I don't see where that gives them the right to force me to listen by interfering with my ability to go about my business.

Their right to protest ends when it infringes on my right to freedom of movement. Cite them all for obstructing traffic, give them two minutes to disperse then move them with what ever force is necessary

Their right to protest ends when it infringes on my right to freedom of movement. Cite them all for obstructing traffic, give them two minutes to disperse then move them with what ever force is necessary

+1

Sounds like a good plan to me!

I'm pretty sure that a permit has to be involved if the path of protest requires traffic to be rerouted, or typically in these cases as of late, the blockade of protest. I'm wondering if any of these protests have that.

You can't infringe the rights of others to express yours, plain and simple. They can protest until they pass out from exhaustion as that is their right. Keeping people from going about their day to day business is just wrong, and all it does is shine a negative light on whatever you intend to bring to light. MLK didn't burn/destroy property. He didn't loot the city he was protesting in. He didn't shout words of hate to the people he was trying to get to listen to him. The current movement needs to take a few pages out of his book. Better yet, replace their book with his. Violence and hate and begets more violence and hate.

I've heard it said before that sometimes social justice is inconvenient. Often times laws must be broken in order to effect the kind of change that society needs. I am no historian, but I am pretty sure women didn't get the right to vote by voting on it. Being that this great nation of ours was founded upon this very concept, I would have thought more people here would respect that, even if they don't agree with the message.

I've heard it said before that sometimes social justice is inconvenient. Often times laws must be broken in order to effect the kind of change that society needs. I am no historian, but I am pretty sure women didn't get the right to vote by voting on it. Being that this great nation of ours was founded upon this very concept, I would have thought more people here would respect that, even if they don't agree with the message.

Well said

What makes you think that people here don't respect that concept? A year or so ago when the blm thing exploded over a justified police shooting in Missouri I was on my way to an appointment with a surgeon that I'd been trying to get for about 6 months and traffic was stopped on interstate 5 in Lajolla by blm protestors. I missed the appointment because of the freeway shutdown. What gives protesters like this the right to stomp on my rights and well being? You can rationalize the blm movement all you want but in the end your rights, my rights, your life, my life are just as important as theirs. We all know that the person shot that started this blm thing did not have his hands up and the police officer was not charged with his death because it was a justified shooting.

Blocking public roads can also hinder such emergency vehicles like ambulances from reaching a person in need of medical help and transportation to a hospital. When someone loses his/her life due to a blocked roadway, who is going to accept responsibility for the death?

What if people die because firetrucks can't reach a burning building? Are they going to accept responsibility for any deaths?

While I agree that sometimes things need to be changed, disrupting the lives of others can be dangerous. I would not want to know that because I blocked a road that someone died because an emergency vehicle could not get there in time.

I see them protesting and have no problem with that.

I do have a problem when they are protesting "police policy" and interfere with poeple who have nothing to do with who they are protesting.

They should be on the police station steps and at the local government offices steps.

Public streets and transportation. I don't think so.

---------------------

And another thing.

I saw news yesterday showing the major of Los Angeles making a speak in DC.

If he has anything important to say, it was completely lost and ineffective because standing next to him was Al Sharpton, who we all know is a multi million dollar federal tax evader.

Al Sharpton present equals all credibility is gone and/or that other guy,...Jesse Jackson.

--------------

Yes, Mis Allie M, I am done.

What makes you think that people here don't respect that concept? A year or so ago when the blm thing exploded over a justified police shooting in Missouri I was on my way to an appointment with a surgeon that I'd been trying to get for about 6 months and traffic was stopped on interstate 5 in Lajolla by blm protestors. I missed the appointment because of the freeway shutdown. What gives protesters like this the right to stomp on my rights and well being? You can rationalize the blm movement all you want but in the end your rights, my rights, your life, my life are just as important as theirs. We all know that the person shot that started this blm thing did not have his hands up and the police officer was not charged with his death because it was a justified shooting.

That is what I said while the Ferguson mess was going on here. One of the roads they decided to block was the main road to "Hospital Alley" Numerous emergency vehicles, including ones carrying injured protesters, were delayed in reaching their destinations because the highway was blocked.

I don't have a problem with an individual or group exercising their constitutional rights. I draw the line when innocent, non-involved people are HARMED because of that individuals or group actions.

BLM is nothing less than a domestic terrorist organization. These protests are organization and deployment exercises. Interrupt travel and security in civilian areas...where have we read that before?

Pokemon Go is a brilliant concept to compromise security in a wide area. Idiots who unwittingly test security measures chasing silly little electronic creatures. Utter genius!

Archived