SASS Wire Forum

"BRING ME MY BROWN PANTS!"

Rancho Roy

You would not have to bring me my brown pants.

Any pants I had on WOULD TURN BROWN :-)

Not to mention the 8 sailors injured in this incident. Yep, congrats on having good reactions, as those saved you and your crew from a swim, the loss of an expensive flying machine. Cables have broke before...

That's why when they land they immediately go to full throttle. Perfect example.

The tale is apocryphal and I got this third hand.

Similar incident, only a Tomcat on landing.

Again -- cable broke -- the jet left the end of the deck and, just like this Orion, disappeared.

Just like this one, after about a year and a half, it reappeared, but it was low enough the engines were blasting twin furrows in the water.

Once it got some altitude -- maybe fifteen feet -- the pilot's voice came over the comm.

"Thank you, God, I've got it from here."

And THAT boys and girls is one of the many reasons I joined the Air Force. Thank God for all you soldiers, sailors and Marines for doing the jobs that would leave every pair of pants I own brown. You have my never ending respect and admiration.

I think I would trade most everything I own except my SASS guns to fly on/off a carrier. We have the USS Lexington as a museum about 2 miles from my house. I go for a tour every couple of years, and eyeball it every time I drive past thinking of what it must be like to do carrier ops.

Archived