SASS Wire Forum

Conceal Carry through Illinois

Seven Mile Tom

I will soon be traveling through Illinois/Chicago and it looks like I can carry concealed in my car since I have an Ohio permit. However, if I get out of the car the gun must stay in the locked car. I would appreciate any advice confirming my understanding of Illinois law.

Thanks

Don't come to Illinois and especially not Chicago.

We've been here since November 2015 and are making plans to leave, heading back west to mountains and freedom.

Most of the people are great, at least the ones we hang out with, but this state has some serious issues.

Howdy,

You would have to head straight for Lib central.

Chicago just cant have enuf goofy laws.

All sorts of laws and all sorts of shootings every day.

Illinois just got reasonable CC a year or so ago.

Courtsnjudges are wrestling with whats ok and not.

Local and state laws change to easy and often.

Heck, the folks livin here caint figure it out.

Best

CR

It helps to realize:

Illinois is run essentially by Chicago.

Chicago is run by the mafia and state sponsored crooks. "If you want to play, you have to pay"

Crooks do NOT like victims to be armed. Thus, they are against self defense.

Also remember that like most democrats, when they say a word, it is not what they mean.

For example what does "protection" translate to in mafia/Illinois, etc)?

Of course, it means "extortion" and everything BUT protection.

I have to visit Illinois to visit relatives, but know that I must be pretty much defenseless.

Illinois (pronounced "Ill - an - noise") - I worked in Des Plaines, Illinois, so I know :D :D :D

I know there are similar states such as Delaware, New Jersey, MASS, Connecticut, etc. Sad that they once stood for freedom, but no more. And of course, California.

But all those states also contain many fine, friendly folks as well.

Some of those fine folks are trying to improve things, but it is tough - partly because there are not enough working to improve things.

Something for you to really check out..

I don't think Illinois honors any other states Concealed Carry Permit..

If they don't?? You have to have any firearm unloaded, with ammo in separate area..

Example.. You can have your guns cased in the trunk with you ammo in separate case in the trunk..

I know.. Weird.. But like has been said..

All of downstate Illinois seems to financially support Chicago..

They seem to get to make all the rules..

It ain't right..

Get out of Chicago area.. Folks are great..

Rance ;)

Thinkin we don't like it either..

Illinois does not honor anybody's CCW permits. Part of Chicago does not even honor their own permits. There is a huge list of place you can not carry in Illinois and most of it is the greater Chicago area and the high crime areas. However, that is why we wanted the permits to begin with. As of right now, you can not even buy ammo in Illinois as a out of state resident in Illinois with a $60 permit to buy it. They changed the rules last year and everybody from out of state going to the Big trap shoot in Sparta could not but ammo at Wal-Mart without a special permit and could only buy at the WSC from approved venders there with out the permit. (I think I got that right). I can no longer buy ammo in Illinois when I go up there with out that permit or a FOID card( I still have one). If you travel to Illinois, unload and case your gun before you cross the state line and store the ammo separate from your weapon. Your only other choice is to get an out of state CCW before you come to Illinois. That cost as much as getting one in Illinois, about $200 to $500 by the time you meet the requirements. I am up there enough I have been considering it, but mine in Alabama is $20 a year and no classes and I have not done it yet. Safe travels.

Maddog McCoy

Yup. Just easier to not go. :(

Tom,

I live just across the border in Iowa, so I made sure I read and understood the law as I shoot in Illinois.

The law reads as you posted. You can carry in your car, but the gun must stay in the car.

I will soon be traveling through Illinois/Chicago and it looks like I can carry concealed in my car since I have an Ohio permit. However, if I get out of the car the gun must stay in the locked car. I would appreciate any advice confirming my understanding of Illinois law.

Thanks

Indiana is one of the free states. You can store your carry in my safe and pickup on your back to Ohio. I'm approx 15 miles south of the Indiana toll road.

Does il. Consider a load madani ears a loaded gun even when it's not in the gun?

Pardon my ignorance but what is " a load madani ears"?

..Illinois does not honor anybody's CCW permits.

You can have your guns cased in the trunk with your ammo in separate case in the trunk.

Still better than NY. Gun locked in trunk = arrest! They do not care about Federal law.

Kid Rich

They changed the rules for getting long guns and long gun ammo. I copied this from the Illinois law website.

I can not find anything stating it is legal for you to buy handgun ammo in Illinois unless you are a resident.

See the section below. Thanks

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657

Any resident of Iowa, Missouri, Indiana, Wisconsin or Kentucky or a non-resident with a valid non-resident hunting license, who is 18 years of age or older and who is not prohibited by the laws of Illinois, the state of his domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing or using a firearm, may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun or ammunition for a rifle or shotgun in Illinois.

(b-5) Any non-resident who is participating in a sanctioned competitive shooting event, who is 18 years of age or older and who is not prohibited by the laws of Illinois, the state of his or her domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm, may purchase or obtain a shotgun or shotgun ammunition in Illinois for the purpose of participating in that event.

A person may purchase or obtain a shotgun or shotgun ammunition under this subsection only at the site where the sanctioned competitive shooting event is being held.

(b-10) Any non-resident registered competitor or attendee of a competitive shooting event held at the World Shooting Complex sanctioned by a national governing body, who is not prohibited by the laws of Illinois, the state of his or her domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun, or other long gun or ammunition for a rifle, shotgun, or other long gun at the competitive shooting event. The sanctioning body shall provide a list of registered competitors and attendees as required under subparagraph (5) of paragraph (g) of subsection (A) of Section 24-3 of the Criminal Code of 2012. A competitor or attendee of a competitive shooting event who does not wish to purchase a firearm at the event is not required to register or have his or her name appear on a list of registered competitors and attendees provided to the Department of State Police by the sanctioning body.

© Any transaction under this Section is subject to the provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (18 U.S.C. 922 ( B)(3)).

Kid Rich

They changed the rules for getting long guns and long gun ammo. I copied this from the Illinois law website.

I can not find anything stating it is legal for you to buy handgun ammo in Illinois unless you are a resident.

See the section below. Thanks

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657

Any resident of Iowa, Missouri, Indiana, Wisconsin or Kentucky or a non-resident with a valid non-resident hunting license, who is 18 years of age or older and who is not prohibited by the laws of Illinois, the state of his domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing or using a firearm, may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun or ammunition for a rifle or shotgun in Illinois.

(b-5) Any non-resident who is participating in a sanctioned competitive shooting event, who is 18 years of age or older and who is not prohibited by the laws of Illinois, the state of his or her domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm, may purchase or obtain a shotgun or shotgun ammunition in Illinois for the purpose of participating in that event.

A person may purchase or obtain a shotgun or shotgun ammunition under this subsection only at the site where the sanctioned competitive shooting event is being held.

(b-10) Any non-resident registered competitor or attendee of a competitive shooting event held at the World Shooting Complex sanctioned by a national governing body, who is not prohibited by the laws of Illinois, the state of his or her domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun, or other long gun or ammunition for a rifle, shotgun, or other long gun at the competitive shooting event. The sanctioning body shall provide a list of registered competitors and attendees as required under subparagraph (5) of paragraph (g) of subsection (A) of Section 24-3 of the Criminal Code of 2012. A competitor or attendee of a competitive shooting event who does not wish to purchase a firearm at the event is not required to register or have his or her name appear on a list of registered competitors and attendees provided to the Department of State Police by the sanctioning body.

© Any transaction under this Section is subject to the provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (18 U.S.C. 922 ( B)(3)).

Wasn't referring to handgun ammo. kR

I would rather be judged by 12 .

Than carried by 6.

I will carry anywhere I feal the need to do so !

I had to drive through IL four years ago. I stopped in Gary, unloaded my 1911, put it in a locked box in the trunk, got back in the car and sweated all the way to Wisconsin, where I stoppd the car, retreived my now loaded 1911 and said some nasty things about IL.

I was conflicted about driving the speed limit to keep from being pulled and speeding t8 get to a point of being armed again.

This where Obama got his start.

Just sayin

Y'all are confusing Illinois with Chicago. Two different places.

+1

The St Jude Shoot and "apple pie" are more than enough reason to go.....

As I understand it. I tstates on the Illinois State Police web site, that, I can carry in my car, because I have a Wisconsin permit. I have to unload and lock it if I get out of the car.

Tom,

We traveled by vehicle to Maryland last year taking I-70 through Illinois. It simply was not worth the risk to us to be caught by the Police with a firearm of any type in either State. Coming back we took a Southern route and avoided Illinois altogether.

However it sounds like in your case avoiding traveling through the State is not practical. If you must and are determined to transport guns in your vehicle while doing so do NOT stop for gas, food or pit stops. Gas up, stock up on eats and drinks and use the bathroom before entering the State and drive straight through. You SHOULD be covered by Federal Law but as commented being from out-of-state you are a target.

Another and much safer option is to ship your guns to yourself at your destination. This is legal as long as long as the person at the receiving end does not open the package.

I fully understand your desire for self-protection but if you feel you must be armed do to the risk of being a victim of violent crime then the trip is just not worth it.

Archived