SASS Wire Forum

Anyone a SAR or DAR member?

Widder, SASS #59054

Son of the American Revolution/Daughter of the American Revolution.

There is a lady in our church that is a DAR. About 4 generation back, I think it was her Dad and all 4 sons fought in the Revolutionary war... on the American side.

Any of you Pards have any Revolutionary kin folks in your blood line?

I think these are interesting pieces of family history to share.

Thanks

p.s. - regarding rumors, I am not kin to Bunker Hill.

..........Widder

Howdy Widder,

My maternal grandmother is a direct descendant of John Crockett who fought in the Revolution and was also the father of Davey Crockett. They were all from somewhere's up near where you live now.

Widder, Yes, I'm a member of the SAR.

My great grandfather x5 (Captain Charles Baltzell) commanded an infantry company throughout the Revolution. At one point, his company was stationed at West Point. I have a copy of his daily log from that time and place which mentions George Washington and Benedict Arnold. I also have copies of his promotion to Captain signed by John Hancock and a his muster roll from Valley Forge. Needless to say, he had some very trying times!

His son, Major Charles Baltzell Jr, fought in the war of 1812 and I have his sabre hanging on the wall of my study.

WOW, some very interesting history posted here.

Ya know, its a high probability that some of the above Pards had kinfolk who may have actually served and fought side by side back in 1776.

Thanks for posting.

..........Widder

My missus loves musical theatre and recently she purchased the cast recording of "Hamilton" which tells the story of Alexander Hamilton one of the founding fathers. I never really knew much about the war of independance, until I started listening to it. But boy oh boy is American history intersting!

It is amazing that some of you guys can trace your family history back to people and places that were such an intergral part of what happened.

My mother loved researching family history and after much prompting did get around to joining DAR. Her information goes back to England, Holland, Germany and Scotland in the 1500s.

Have a few notables on there such as Gov. William Bradford and George Bunker, who owned Bunker Hill at one time. Found one hanged by Tories and another who fought on the winning side in the American Revolution who had descendants fighting in the Texas Revolution.

Really miss all the stories she told.

Wife's family dates back in lineage to Wm Bradford , Governor of Plymouth colony at one point. She is DAR. I don't know the Revolutionary War connection though.....

Too bad that most schools today put little emphasis on American History. Only 23 out of 76 major universities teach American History. Sad state of affairs. Our younger generation doesn't have a clue and therein lies the danger. They say that you can learn from your past, but only if it is passed on. Lest you repeat the mistakes. There always a fox in the he house.

I think my forefathers came from Germany and Ireland AFTER the REV.war.

Dads family appears to be German.

They abided and lived by some VERY strict codes of honor, manliness, duty to country, etc....and they all had STRONG political views.

Moms family was Irish.

They lived and thrived in the mountainous regions of E.Tennessee.

They had strong character and strongly believed everyone should mind their own business.

They were farmers of both land and raising animals for their own food.

AND, they were moonshiners, right down to her father and brothers.

BOTH of them came from huge families.

Dad had 5 brothers and 6 sisters.

Mom had 5 sisters and 6 brothers.

When either family had a reunion, it was huge.

And when either had a death, is was even bigger.

..........Widder

From the beginning (in America): My ancestor, Adam Clinkscales, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, circa 1700. First documented in Maryland in August, 1719, having given testimony in a will probate hearing. Married Mary Preston. Their son was Adam Jr., born circa 1720.

Adam Jr. married Ann Buchner. They had several children including two sons, William and Francis, who both served in the Revolutionary War.

William, born circa 1752, joined the Maryland Militia as a private in 1777 serving in the 26th Battalion in Captain Garner's Co,. Listed in the Maryland State Archives as having served in the Revolutionary War in the Continental Troops from Charles Co. Maryland in 1781.

Francis Sr., born circa 1739, served in the same outfit with his younger brother William. His Revolutionary War service is commemorated by a marker placed in the Anderson Co. Cemetery, SC., upon which is inscribed:

"Revolutionary War Soldier and Patriot, Francis Clinkscales, SGT - 26th Batt., Charles Co. Militia, MD. under Capt. Hezekiah Garner, signed Oath of Allegiance, Charles Co. MD. Born circa 1739 in Charles Col, MD. Died on Jan 12, 1838 in Anderson Col, SC. Buried in this cemetery, actual burial site unknown. Marker placed by Major John Bowie Chapter DAR, May 14, 2003."

I must add that I also have 51 documented Clinkscales ancestors who fought in the Confederate States of America military during the War to prevent Southern Independence. Hence my alias:

Tommy Reb aka Tom Clinkscales

Happy 4th everybody!

Two of my mother's ancestors fought in the Revolutionary War. Henry Horne, Pulaski Legion, his name is on a plaque at Valley Forge, and Nicholas Zollinger, who came over on the ship with Lafayette and fought under him. Both ancestors of my mother's father.

My Mom was in the DAR for many years, Alexander Spotswood Society, in Alexandria, VA. My daughter was active in CAR (Children of the American Revolution) when younger.

Interesting thread Widder. No to your question of SAR/DAR but thought you might find this info about my great-grand father (mother's side), Cornelius B. "Butcher" McGuyer. of interest..

C. B. McGuyer was son of Thomas McGuyer whose parents were taken prisoners in Revolution War. Thomas was born in POW camp in Quebec. Family was later released and allowed to return to states where Thomas later married Ann Lee ( relation to Robert E. Lee).

C. B. was born in Bedford County, Tennessee in 1822. In 1846., at the age of 24, C. B. enlisted in the Mexican War under Zachary Taylor serving in 1st Tennessee Inf., Volunteers. He was wounded three times in the Battle of Monterey, Mexico, and fell some forty yards short of the Fort, before he was carried from the battlefield - he was shot again.. A little later he received a wound from a spent shell which entered the top of his right shoulder and lodged in his left lung where it ever remained. After being taken to a hospital and given medical treatment, he was discharged and returned home. He moved from his home state of Tennessee to Texas in 1855 settling in Charleston, Delta County. He lost his first wife soon after moving to Texas and buried her near their home. The grave was the first in area that is now Charleston Cemetery. After moving to Texas C. B. served in Civil War as Private in Company G, 23rd Texas Cavalry. He died in 1903 still having complications from wounds received in Mexican War.

Note: In 1861 when C. B. left to fight in Civil War one of his sons who was left to take care of homestead and crops was Rufus. Rufus was 13. He was concerned with way the war was going by 1863, as it seemed one Northern victory followed another. Col. J. C. Suttle organized a home guard to stand by for action so Rufus volunteered. . Just like his Dad, and two uncles, Bill & Ned (who fought with Andrew Jackson at New Orleans in War of 1812), he wanted to be a part. Rufus died in Delta County in August of 1949 at age of 101 leaving only six Civil War veterans remaining alive in Texas.

Not an SAR member. However on my mothers side, were the Tillotson's. Members of that Family have fought in every War, from the Revolution to Vietnam.

The Family Genology is in two Volume's each two inches thick. Also includes various Members history and such.

My Mothers second Cousin compiled the Volumes. It took here 15 years, after she retired to complete the Genology.

She then had them printed and hard bound for Family Members. They are excellent, for history and reference. I think if I recall, I am in the 13th generation here in the US. The English side goes back to 1050 AD.

I am a direct descendant of an American Revolution soldier, George Dixon, who served 3 tours of duty in the Revolutionary Army. He was a Virginia Frontiersman, Revolutionary War Soldier and Spy. He was from Augusta County, Virginia, born February 17, 1754. His first tour of duty was as a volunteer from the County of Greenbrier in the Company commanded by Capt James Armstrong and marched down the Kanahwa to Ft Randolph at Point Pleasant on the Ohio River. On his second tour of duty, he was drafted in February 1778 from the County of Greenbrier in Virginia to go to Kentucky and there to join General George Rogers Clark on the expedition to the Scioto. His brother Peter, then 18 years, was also drafted into the same company. On his third tour, George was assigned as a spy for the Northwest Territory on May 1, 1779 and served in this capacity for 2 years and 6 months. Another spy in the same area during the Revolution was Daniel Boone. He served in a company commanded by Captain Graham under the command of Colonel Brown of Greenbrier County to spy out and reconoiter the inroads and incursions on the Kanahwa and the country thereabouts.

Both George and his brother Peter received Revolutionary War Pensions for their service.

My sister and I have done extensive family research and are very proud of our heritage. Both she and my oldest daughter are members of the DAR.

My mother belonged to DAR. My great,???, grandfather served with Marion in the Carolina's. There were at least two other ancestors who fought in the Revolution. My mother could trace the family back to William the Conqueror, except for an embarrassing little two generation gap.

Shillelagh

Speaking of history if you do not know it you are bound to repeat it

When my daughter was in high school I looked through her history book and how had the liberals rewritten history. Not any where near what I had learned in high school and college.

The winner write history so the liberals are winning. It's a sad state of affairs where most teachers and instructors never venture out in to the real world any more they just stay in the world of academia and beleive what those before them have thought them instead of spending time in the real world and learning for themselves.

I am a SAR member with these documented ancestors:

James Miller, Col NC (was a company commander at Kings Mountain)

Thomas Shanklin, Lt SC

John Parker, Pvt DE

Archibald McMahan, Pvt NC

James B Doyle, Pvt PA

Thomas Stribling, Jr, Pvt SC

Owen Slaughter, Public Service, NC

Van Sweringen, Public Service, MD

William Dendy, Jr, Public Service, SC

Joseph Van Sweringen, Public Service, SC

My wife and daughter are DAR, through Jonathan Goodridge, a Minuteman from Fitchburg, Mass. My son is named for him.

My cousin is DAR through Josiah Pell of NY, so I could join through him.

Genealogy is a planed retirement hobby.

My grandmother was a member of the DAR. her application listed the following:

Joseph Cooper enlisted as a private at Morris County New Jersey, June 7th 1780, in Captain Stephn Baldwin's company, and Colonel Silvanus Seeley's Eastern Regiment. He fought as a private at the battle of Conn. Farms New Jersey June 8, 1780, and was discharged on June 14, 1780. we had a partial history of family, until my daughter in law started to finish our family tree. We are related to Lewis Morris, and to Gov. Morris, both signers of the Declaration of Independance. Gov. Morris helped finance the war and ended up dying a poor man.

but I guess we are rich in history. I will have more info to come...

curley cole

Update:

my sister said she has some papers and had been in contact, and with only a few documents we can join the SAR/DAR

we will look into that. keep this thread going I enjoy seeing where others come from

curley

I don't have the document, but a relative has a letter signed by Washington allowing him to go home to harvest. My mom is a little pissed off at Sherman burning a courthouse that had vital records that would connect the dots.

• 3 weeks later...

Member SAR, CPT Bullard was North Carolina and Tennessee Pioneer Settler, Indian Fighter, Revolutionary War Patriot, Militia Officer, Watauga Petition Signer, Mounted Rifleman, Expert Marksman, Farmer/Rancher, and Father. During the Revolutionary War, he participated in the Siege at Ft. Watauga (1776), the Battle of Kings Mountain (1780), the Battle of Boyd’s Creek (1780), and many Indian skirmishes. Killed at Lookout Mountain. Wife DAR and Colonial Dame.

Archived